Thread: My Build up.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs

My Build up.

I bought a 1991 Jeep YJ with 136, 000 km about 3 weeks ago. Here's some basic pictures. The jeep is considered "Unfit and Unplated" so the first order of business is to get her street legal then its time to beef her up for some off-roading fun.

Basically my work so far has been the following;

- Ripped out the carpeting
    - took out passenger seat
    - changed all the fluids
    - cut out the drivers side floor pan(front section)

I brought my jeep in to CAA yesterday for a complete inspection and a list of everything that needs to be fixed for passing safety. I'll post that list when i get it tonight.

For now that's it.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Ok I got my list from CAA back and my suspicions about the frame were correct. The dude said there is no way even with a perfect patch job on the frame that they will let the frame pass. I am currently in search of a frame ATM, hoping for one in the Eastern Ontario Area so if anyone knows of one or where i might find one for sub 400$(preferably quite a bit below 400$ lol) let me know. Onto the list;

- Frame
    - ball joints
    - tie rods + ends
    - leafs
    - shocks
    - break lines
    - hood latches
    - floor pans
    - seats
    - minor electrical things.
    + a few other things. Ill post the entire list this weekend when i get a chance but those are the main things.

I'm now exiting the "God damnit i should have bought the civic" phase and come to my senses. Time to begin the dismantling of the jeep in preparation for the frame.

Once i have the body on the ground on stands I'm going to replace those floor pans and Herculiner the inner tub and wheel wells then POR-15 the bottom.

After that it's time to get started on removal of everything from the old frame then chuck the frame. I'll be keeping all the old parts as just in case until my replacements come in. I figure instead of putting all this old junk back on the nice new and soon to be painted frame I might as well purchase my upgrades such as lift, drive shafts, etc. I may even have time to degrease everything on the drivetrain before my new frame is ready.

I'll be posting pictures of this now year long project as i go along. Most likely it will be weekly to bi-weekly updates accompanied by pictures and descriptions not only to keep you guys up to date but to also keep my spirits up on how much I'm accomplishing instead of focusing on how much i have left to do.
    Sigh..lol

And into the Garage I go.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 6 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 36 Secs
    good luck and have fun.
    97 tj 4" lift rollin on 33"trXus m/t
    YOUR AN APPLE ( annoyingorange.com)
    "the purpose of life is to end" (agent smith)
    "to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women" (Conan the barbarian)

My Mood
    Lurking
    Thanks, hopefully everything will go smoothly

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

My Mood
    Lurking
    Thanks for the heads up

My Mood
    Lurking
    Ok well i just finished spending about 20 minutes doing a nice write up on my buddys laptop with pictures and everything but then because his family FAILS at using computers it decided to crash and delete my entire post. Still pissed so im just going to post the pictures and you guys will have to do without the write up until i get my internet setup at my new place.

^Friend of mine^

^me^

^also me^
    Last edited by DoctorPhate; 08-06-2008 at 06:06 PM.

My Mood
    Lurking

^this is somewhat how it looked when i got it but much worse on the entire frame^

^only trouble spot really^

^The nut thats supposed to be welded on the inside of the frame broke off here so i have to fix that still^

^Theres the back of the jeep and the floor pans after the carpet was lifted^

Special thanks to Dynnommyte for my kick ass frame. I really Appreciate it

So far im just waiting on my torches to weld in my new floor pans and cut out a coupe of the bolts that are seized. That and money to buy POR15 and Herculiner so i can continue lol

Edit: I think my original post was deleted for having too many pictures in it but i wasn't warned even told. if its too much could the admin please copy paste what they delete and PM it to me so i dont have to write again lol. Sorry if i broke a rule. My bad.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 1 Min 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    The forum will only allow you to add 10 images to a post (even smileys count), it probably wasn't deleted just didn't post to begin with.

Nice work so far btw
    OF4WD 5435
    2dr - 2010 - Rubicon
    Cake bakers united

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 9 Secs
    Your pics are fine. I deleted one of your posts as it was a double post, same pictures and text in both, and I carefully double checked it first in case there was any difference in text.
    Keep the pics coming and good luck with your build.
    Last edited by LugNutz; 08-06-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    You never truly know your limits until you exceed them....

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Day 21 Hrs 24 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    pm'd you man
    GO HARD OR GO HOME !!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Thanks lugnutz, you were quick on the draw though because i edited my second post and you deleted the first lol.

Sorry about that. His laptop fails.

Time Online: 3 Hrs 37 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    what is wrong with the frame? It didn't look that bad... mine was bad, yours looks ok.

My Mood
    Lurking
    lol i could put a fist through the front passanger corner. and the back well... i can pretty much smash it all to bits with my hands. Trust me... its probably the worst frame i have seen on these forums. That new frame that i posted there is kick ass. but the old one, well im surprised it could even hold me in it while i drove it into my garage

My Mood
    Lurking
    Well haven't updated for a while because i have been busy with work. I got a new job to pay for this obsession and it required my attention so i could afford my purchases to continue. Well here's what i got so far.

We got all the top of the frame grinded down nice and smooth and pretty much ready for paint so we decided to flip it up on its side.

We were going to begin on the bottom but money was so tight due to a lack of a job that i couldnt even afford to buy grinding wheels so we hold off for a while.

Then my step father came home with our torches and boy are they beautiful lol.

So basicly within 30 seconds of that being hooked up we cut this useless thing off.

Sway bars are for cars not for jeeps lol.
    Once that was off we took off the bracket on the frame for it so the safety guy wont notice that little ole thing being missing.

mmm yummy.

Well i was having trouble getting the fenders off the jeep because the bolts were seized so we just heated them up and off they came on the passenger side.

Drivers side however we had to cut out a couple and i got tired before i had a chance to finish off the rest of the drivers side fender, still two bolts holding in the front part. Ill post pictures of that when i get them

My next problem is i cant get into these holes because my drill is too slow for the drill based wire wheel and my grinders wheel is too big. Any ideas guys?

When i get a chance ill open both garage doors and give you guys a snap shot of my work setup. Basicly its jeep on the left side... new jeep on the right side lol.. until i get the rolling chassis with the engine and brakes and such on it then im going to have to do a switch because the garage door on the right side doesnt open enough for the jeep to come in/out NOW nevermind once its lifted on new tires.

However i have sorta the same problem on the otherside. once the body is on with the lift and new tires it wont fit out the door because of the roll bar so i have to leave the roll bar off and window down to roll it out then put the bar on lol. Should be funny to see.
    Last edited by DoctorPhate; 09-08-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Time Online: 7 Hrs 31 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    small sand blaster should do the trick for those hard to get spots

My Mood
    Lurking
    ya, i wonder how much thats going to cost me though.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Well I have been low on funds lately which is why i haven't been able to get much work done which is why i havent updated too much. However a couple days ago this 8 gallon compressor went on sale and my step father decided to buy it for me as a super early christmas present or so he says... Between us i think hes getting into this project since he seems to be asking me when i want his help on it lol.

So anyway here is my new toy to help out with my larger toy. lol

Once I got this setup we made quick work of the troublesome fender and grill. Here's what she looks like now.

And from the side you can notice in the corner of the frame on the left side of the picture is why I needed the new frame.

I finally got the frame completely turned over now and ready for the wire wheel grinding on the bottom for rust removal.

I should be starting to even out my financial situation here soon which means i can purchase the POR-15 for painting

Once the painting is done on that I'm going to turn my attention back to the body situation and try to get that off and on the ground so i can wheel out my old frame and work on de-rusting the axels and painting them.

After the axels are painted all up and i have installed the new ball joints I'll be buying the new suspension system and installing that for a rolling chassis.

Hopefully its all easy sailing at that point.

Hurray for restoring progress in my build!