Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Bar Outside Top?

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs

Speaker Bar Outside Top?

I'm leaning toward getting a bikini, windjammer and duster. But... I have a speaker bar which would be outside the top and in the rain. Any reasonable solutions for this? Or am I SOL?

Also, what's the difference between a half-top and the said three-piece combo?

So I installed the flux capacitor but the Jeep just won't do 88 mph.

- '97 TJ, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance

- '99 WJ Limited 4.7, 2" RC BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess

Time Online: 2 Hrs 33 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    TJ or YJ?
    I'm pretty sure on a yj the bikini top covers the sound bar.
    As for the halftop vs the 3 piece set, it appears to be the same. However if someone knows for sure feel free to correct me!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 42 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    The three piece combo leaves a gap between the rear of the door and where the jammer covers the rollbar.
    The half-top covers that gap up.
    The gap isnt a big deal when driving, however when sitting it does let water in.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

Time Online: 3 Days 2 Hrs 11 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Secs
    ran the half top on my tjwith the sound bar! No probs...the speakers that are stock suck anyway!! If you're worried about it then just get some replacement marine spekers...clarion makes nice ones!! But again no big probs with the stock set up!
    I don't care who ya are...that's funny!!

Yeah, it's a TJ. I just didn't want to get them wet on the first rainfall then have them fall apart. I also have no clue if they're stock or not. They came with the Jeep. Marine speakers is a good idea, though it'd be a pain in the ass to have to crank the stereo to hear the music when the speakers are outside and I'm inside.

Bah, I can't decide which route is best. I don't want anything inside getting wet, but I like the idea of not having a full soft top. All I know is I want to take the stupid lid off permanently for the summer. Thanks for the help.

Man like I said just go ahead and do the top you want! Worst case senario your speakers will get wet...if they wreck oh well and if they don't then good!

The half top is cool...bit of a pain in the ass to put on in a hurry(if it starts to rain), but it does look cool! I don't know what you do as far as passengers or if you have a dog but that does make the top useless!!!!!!

Hope this helps!

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 11 Hrs 2 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    Just my $0.02 but if you're concerned about the inside of the Jeep getting wet then you definitely do not want the three piece. I have that set up and rarely run it in the summer because it will let in a lot of rain if it's sitting in a parking lot. If you do go to the three piece though I believe a Safari top goes back further and would cover your speaker bar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here? In the summer I just usually go with a bikini and my full soft top. Bikini so I don't get burned to a crisp but still have the Jeep nice and open and if it rains the full soft top goes up. The three piece looks nice but I find it's a pita.
    '02 TJ, 2" body lift, 2" coil spacers, 33"x12.5" Goodyear Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp matte black aluminum rims, D30/D35 regeared with 4.56 gears, Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares, Warn Rock Crawler Front Bumper, Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, hprtech custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, 48" Hi-Lift, Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari, Wrap Around Windjammer, Tonneau and trail cover.

"I'm not retarded I just own a Jeep that's all".

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 27 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    I never install a top on my jeeps,but keep a bikini in the console incase it rains .I usually run marine speakers and cd ,I find they hold up better .I also bought a cab cover and will install it if I am parked and worried about rain .It would also be a good idea to remove any carpet,the back seat e.t.c. ,because they start soaking up the water ,and your heep will start smelling bad .You should be aware that scum bags will be looking at your stereo ,and even though mine havent been worth much ,they have stolen the speakers several times ..

Time Online: 4 Mins 28 Secs
    I'm not sure if anyone else posted this, but why dont you just unbolt your Soundbar, pick it up, and move it to the front of the Roll Bar so it is under the Bikini Top? The wiring is long enough. If your willing to extend the wiring, you can turn it around to mirror the way it sits on the other side. You dont even need to bolt it down as the Bikini Top will keep it secured in its place.

I did this years ago, it works great, your Speakers stay dry and protected, and you listen to your tunes instead of everyone outside. As a matter of fact, I have a second Soundbar installed right up by my Windshield Frame. The sound is awesome for the Highway etc and does a great job drowning out the Cherry Bomb.

I can post pics if anyone is curious.

Scotty

Time Online: 16 Hrs 37 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    I love the 3 peice set up when i had it with my YJ, do what armybuck said and flip the sound bar around. The half top will keep water out the 3 peice wont but it's not that bad. I would also recomend getting a trail cover, it's great, leave the top off at nigh and throw the trail cover on 2 min or so and your seats don't get covered in dew, or from a overnight shower.

YeepJeep
    If your shaft ain't wet... your not in deep enough

2003 Rubi, 3.5" RE kit, CB, Titan 10K winch, offroadsupply.ca bumper, sliders and rock rings.

www.ctmotorsports.ca
    www.rockspyder4x4.com

Thanks for the tips guys. I think for now I'm going to go for a conventional full top. I thought about moving the speaker bar up, but I'd then have to cut some of the roll bar padding and move it to the back. Also, right now I only have a few inches between my head and the roof so a speaker bar may be in the way.

I liked the versatility of the three piece, but I don't want to get in it in the mornning to find a wet seat and water on the floor (the amp is also under the seat).

And tonight when I came out of Walmart I realized that I would really miss tossing junk in the back from the front seat; something that can't be done with a half top.

I guess I may be obsessing over such a trivial issue, but I like to do my homework before buying anything for the heep. Thanks again.

with the 3 piece set, where does the majority of the water get in from?

My Mood
    Sad
    Time Online: 22 Hrs 21 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    In a YJ it come in between the roll bar and the top of the door since the YJ bikinis don't have a door surround to extend to.
    In a TJ it'll rain sideways right in between the back of the door and the roll bar (the main hoop part) and trust me even in a fairly light rain those seats get wet!
    I usually only have 2 peices on, the bikini and the tonneau, with a wind jammer as well it would be better but I assure you it would still get wet.
    2003 Sienna Pearl TJ 3" Black Diamond Lift | 1" BL | 33x12.50" BFG MT's | 15x8 AR 767's | 4:10's | ARB BullBar | Warn 9000i | Warn Rear RockCrawler Bumper | BestTop Tire Carrier | AEV RockRails | Custom Cargo Box

"Team PitGirlz Spirit Crusher"

Quote Originally Posted by JPgirl View Post
    In a YJ it come in between the roll bar and the top of the door since the YJ bikinis don't have a door surround to extend to.
    In a TJ it'll rain sideways right in between the back of the door and the roll bar (the main hoop part) and trust me even in a fairly light rain those seats get wet!
    I usually only have 2 peices on, the bikini and the tonneau, with a wind jammer as well it would be better but I assure you it would still get wet.
    meh that doesnt seem too bad!
    I ran my busted soft top all summer that would flop all over and I never once put the side windows on. I just made sure I parked it under a tree most of the time. Im probably going to pull the trigger on the three piece set for my yj.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 11 Hrs 2 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoCoco View Post
    I guess I may be obsessing over such a trivial issue, but I like to do my homework before buying anything for the heep. Thanks again.
    You own a Jeep. It's allowed.

Time Online: 16 Hrs 37 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    use the trail cover it's great I won't go without one now

its great for the 3 peice. There is a doggy door on the jammer so u can throw ur juk in the back if u take the set out.

I just tumbles my fronts forward at night and that keeps most of the wet off! I might be the only one but rain seems to make it's way in no matter what top you have on!!!

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoCoco View Post

I liked the versatility of the three piece, but I don't want to get in it in the mornning to find a wet seat and water on the floor (the amp is also under the seat).
    If you plan on wheeling your truck this is one of the worst spots for the amp. The first semi deep hole you go into will allow water into the cab and will literally drown the amp.

As for people talking about flipping the sound bar remember early models have a 1 piece bar late models have the two indivdual pods.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Time Online: 4 Mins 28 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    If you plan on wheeling your truck this is one of the worst spots for the amp. The first semi deep hole you go into will allow water into the cab and will literally drown the amp.
    Totally agree'd...

I actually killed one just from a regular cleaning. Its a real PITA to find good weather/wheeling proof placed for electronics.

When I switched my 1997 Dash to a 2000 Dash (for the updated HVAC), I removed my Passenger side Airbag and installed my Amps in the left over void. Works great, and any adjustments can be made by popping out the glovebox and reaching up. No issues with heat either believe it or not.

Scotty

The amp under the seat definately has to be moved. It was there when I bought this Jeep a couple months ago. Any suggestion where to put it? Besides where the passenger airbag should go (that's one part I'd like to keep stock. Efficient thinking though).

I don't think I'll enjoy fooling around with a trail cover on a daily basis. I go home for lunch from work so taking the cover on and off 8 times per workday would make me go nuts.

So, I'll continue my long search for a full top, and continue to think of a higher, though inconspicuous place to move the amp.