Thread: Need some help with my build

Time Online: 11 Hrs 40 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

Need some help with my build

Ok so here it is 3 weeks ago i bought a 94 yj 4.0 ho so far ive striped it to the frame. frame is blasted and painted with por-15. I have got dana 44 axle's from a scout. They have been rebuilt and ready to swap into the heep.

Now is where i need the help. What i would like to end up with is a nice looking jeep on 36'' irocks will be my daily driver but would also like to get into some offroading. I figured that since im down to the frame i might aswell build the whole thing at once. so here comes the questions Lol

1: how much lift will i need to clear 36's (im planing on soa i have 2'' lift springs 2'' shackles and a 2'' body lift just sitting around)
    2: i was told yj's dont need the trark bars is that true?
    3: motor is in my buddy's shop getting full rebuild (Now should i do a supercharger on the 4.0 or swap in a 5.0 HO?
    4: If swaping in the 5.0 what 5 speed trannie should i use and what x-fer case ( dana 300?)

Well thats it for now there will be more questions i've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best route to take on the motor topic i hope u guys can give me some suggestions. thanks in advanced

Jeremy

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    if you've gotta do e-tests, stick with the straight six. with a good rebuild and some gears your truck'll have enough power.
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    I'm up 4" and no track bars or sway bars... No issue.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Days 15 Hrs 27 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 14 Secs
    1. yes that should be enough lift for 36" tires
    2. with leaf springs, no you don't need track bars... but legally yes you do (your call)
    3. use the 4.0L you will have less issues with emissions and insurance, but make sure you have 4.88 gearing in your axles (or 5.13's if you will not be using it much on the highway)
    S.S.O.
    OF4WD

thanks guys for responding stickz&stonez should i use my lift springs shackles and bb do i really need that much lift for 36's thats like 11'' give or take. fiannaly some people who want me to keep the 4.0 Lol i've priced the superchargers out and i think it would be a little cheaper then doing a full drivetrain swap after all the little bits and pieces supercharger is supposed to give ya 270 hp but im guessing with charger and header full exhst (bah went brain dead there sry for spelling) i should be able to get around 230-240 hp.

you should be able to get away with about 8" lift for 36's or less depending on the amount of trim you want to do.

with the right gearing you should not need a supercharger...

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    i'd go without the supercharger as well. if you're gong to put in lockers gears are pretty cheap to install at the same time, hell, im driving on 36's with a 4.3l and 3.50 gears. and once i get gears, i'll be set!

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 23 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 54 Secs
    Pop in a diesel and you won`t need to worry about emissions or gearing or power..

OK thanks guy's i'll run the rebuilt 4.0 stock for now well with a header and snorkle. now with the scout axles i need a pass side dump x-fer case would a dana 300 be a good idea or something else? i was told that a 300 might bolt right up to my ax-15 if the ax-15 output shaft is the same. if not can i get a different out put shaft for my ax-15? sry guys im learning as i go this is all new to me (jeeps that is) thanks again in advance

jeremy

yes the D300 is a very good choice... you should just need a spacer to bolt it up to the ax-15

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 16 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    If you're running passenger drop there's no better case than the d300.

The spacer for the d300 is typically called a clocking ring. since you are going passenger drop you'll need one that's standard (not flip). It should be 7/8" thick....dvsjeep sells them.

soa with 2" lift springs is more than enough lift. don't do the body or shackle lift.

i never ran track or sway bars soa, but some people prefer it with a little less roll.

look at my old build threads for the exact swap. You have to turn the inner C's on the scout axle between 6 and 9 degrees towards the rear of the vehicle for the correct castor angle in a YJ. if you want to point the pinion at the diff you have to turn it further. Scout axles have 0 deg. castor to begin with.

Everything you're talking about is exactly what i built 2 years ago...check LC winter build threads.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 48 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    look at my build thread im on 36's with SOA plus 4" springs and shackles...

Cool thanks guys LC how did you like that setup what gears did you run? where the scouts strong enough for 36's and did the 4.0 have enough power to run 36'' tires?

Thanks for any input

Jeremy