Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new tire carrier!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    or a kickstand......it doesn't need much, but really goes a long way.
    82' CJ 7 with a few upgrades

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 48 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Tazz i know what you mean and in the pics i didnt have a brace put on yet i took then before i did it, and even though mine isnt a DD mine to does go down the highway just on a trailer so i could fal off and do just as much damage so i have to worry also

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz91yj View Post
    how is the first pic a double shear? that pin only holds the carrier open no? I dont see it, or is it a single and a double comparison?

tuff- the problem isnt the shaft breaking off at the weld from not going through the bumper its from stress and fatigue on the shaft itself especially where its welded. All the ones Ive seen break are through the bumper and break where its welded(the weld weakens the shaft I guess) search pirate for swing out hinge or similar and youll see what I mean. it may not matter as much to you as you trailer it but for us DD guys the idea of the carrier breaking off on the highway isnt cool
    although the spring pin is slick, I wasnt implying that it had anything to do with the shear on the shaft

see the plate bolted to the top of the shaft? It's a bad pic I know, but that plate is welded to a gusset behind the shaft and bolted to the bumper here's a better pic

CRAIG-3D CAD junkie-IMAX Screen designer

-97 ZJ #2 LTD...built,flogged & flopped all in a matter of 7 days..redefining luxury wheelin! 97 ZJ Laredo, hand built, abused, and jumped off a 12' snowbank... RIP

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    The bumper shown isnt my work, just an example from the net. It's the top plate (see second pic of blue TJ ^) that reduces the sear load on the shaft by directing the load through the gusset

the pin is merely a slick way of holding the carrier open, and an additional support holding it closed. You might find one from can-cope sales in mississauga, maybe even Princess Auto ask for a spring pin. You can find details about them on mcmaster.com but Mcmaster Carr is in the states and wont ship small orders over the border

Quote Originally Posted by Dre907 View Post
    Hey, Canadian ZJ! I'd like to support mine a little better. It is very heavy when the 2 fuel cans are full. Where can I get a pin like yours? I'd like to make mine into a double sheer like the one in the top pic. I noticed that the top of my tail gate isn't lining up with the tub as well as it used to when it's closed and the swing out droops a little when it's opened. My gate is attached to my swing out...
    Last edited by CANADIAN ZJ!; 07-24-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 23 Hrs 37 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by tuff_jeep View Post
    Tazz i know what you mean and in the pics i didnt have a brace put on yet i took then before i did it, and even though mine isnt a DD mine to does go down the highway just on a trailer so i could fal off and do just as much damage so i have to worry also
    haha never thought of it that way, very true. Lets see some pics of your bracing.

Quote Originally Posted by CANADIAN ZJ! View Post
    although the spring pin is slick, I wasnt implying that it had anything to do with the shear on the shaft

see the plate bolted to the top of the shaft? It's a bad pic I know, but that plate is welded to a gusset behind the shaft and bolted to the bumper here's a better pic
    Yeah I didnt think the pin had anything to do with the shear and I see the brace now in the new pic. thanks

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 48 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    ill get some pics tomorrow or this weekend a little busy workin on bens ZJ but ill get some for ya its basicaly like the warn brace looks like that

Cheers