Thread: HELP!!! Anyone know VW's 03 jetta 1.8T

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 43 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs

HELP!!! Anyone know VW's 03 jetta 1.8T

I have an 03 jetta wagon with the 1.8 turbo. On my way for a mountain bike ride this morning which is less 5 km from my house, all of a sudden the temp gauge shot up to red in about 20 seconds and temp light came on. No smell of antifreeze, no leaks, reservoir full, and fans are operating. I'm thinking thermostat or waterpump. I've owned gmc pick-ups up till a few months ago, this thing I don't know jack sh*t about. Car is under warranty but I need to work in Hamilton tomorrow. Any thoughts, I'll change the thermostat if I don't need any specialty tools(can't see anything motor has covers all over it). Are there any tests I can do to test the water pump. (usually squealing or leaking around the shaft) are the only things I know. Gonna start pulling covers off, check back in a few .Thanks
    84 CJ7

03 Hummer H2

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 50 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by 84cj7 View Post
    On my way for a mountain bike ride this morning which is less 5 km from my house,
    Not to be an ass but isn't it less work to just ride the bike the 5kms? Lol sorry I just thought it was funny...

I'd guess you're right with the T-stat first if there's no leaking anywhere. If it's like any other waterpump it should leak out the weep hole when the bearing is shot. I owned a VW but it was a little older (96) so I can't comment too much. Best of luck with it. I wouldn't suggest attempting to drive it anywhere to get repaired if it's heating up that fast, might damage that turbo and cost yourself more money in the end...

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 43 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs

Exclamation

[QUOTE=NINE-T-1-RENEGADE;775710]Not to be an ass but isn't it less work to just ride the bike the 5kms? Lol sorry I just thought it was funny...Quote)

Apparently it isn't safe to ride your bike on the streets of Cambridge anymore. Last night the sister in-law took my wifes GIANT bike to the store. She was knocked to the ground and the bike was stolen. I drove around every slummy crack head looking place for 2 hours lastnight with a hammer on the floor mat praying I would see someone on that bike. That was #1, Jetta #2, Just waiting for #3. LOL My friends don't callme "black cloud" for nothin.Is it tooo early to medicate. lol