Thread: Whats a relay and how does it work?

Hybrid View

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 8 Secs

Whats a relay and how does it work?

Well it seems that over the last couple of days I've had to give a few Electronics 101 courses, particularly when it comes to the when, why and how to of using relays. I know a lot of you guys are scared by wiring, so thought I would take a little of the "bad voodoo" out of these things.

In the simplest of terms, a relay is a remote control switch. It can be used to redirect power (Either positive or ground) to a device, be used to isolate a device, trigger a factory device, or be utilized to control or deliver higher currents more efficiently to a device.

The key to know is the numbers, usually found on the bottom of the relay.

Pin 30- Generally used as the source input pin. ie a fused lead from the battery
    Pin 87a- This is the normally closed position. With the relay "off" or not in use, this will be a direct line to Pin 30
    Pin 87- This is the normally open position. With the relay "on" or energized, this will be a direct line to Pin 30
    Pins 85 & 86 These are your relay control terminals. Suppling a positive charge to one and a ground to the other will "turn on" or energize the relay

Here's an example.
    Instead of running a heavy wire from your battery, through your firewall to a switch, then back out the firewall to a set of lights on your front bumper, you could mount a relay under the hood by the battery. Then you take a good gauge wire (WITH A FUSE) from your battery to terminal 30 on a standard Bosch style relay. Next you take another good gauge wire and run it from terminal 87 out to your lights. Now you have just shortened your power wire by about 10 feet or so, allowing a much shorter and direct route to the lights, making them brighter. But how do I control my lights now? Easy! There are a couple of way to wire this now, all fairly simple. I will suggest the way I commonly wire them, which will give you the benefit of the factory headlight reminder. Find the parking light wire under the drivers side dash, it will be coming out of the headlight control switch (Make sure it is actually for the marker lights and not the dash lights or it will dim with them). Tap into that wire with a small gauge wire (18-20 ga will be fine) and run it to the switch you wish to use. Now run the other side of that switch wire out through the firewall to the relay and plug it into terminal 85 on your relay. Finally, take another small gauge wire and run it from terminal 86 on the relay to a good ground. Now whenever you have your marker lights on and the switch flipped, you will have foglights, and when you turn your lights off, they will all go off.

Now that was a pretty basic one that most guys may know, but did you know you can also use a relay to break a circuit such as an electric fan?

Now if you have an aftermarket electric fan with a thermostat controller, then you can use it's trigger wire, but for you guys running an existing factory electric fan, what you can do is find the power wires running to the fan. Find a section of wire that leaves you room to work on it and cut the power wire. Put female spade connectors on both cut pieces and plug the supply side into terminal 87a, and the fan side to terminal 30. Some of you may think that is backwards, but it will work either way, and by putting the feed on 87a in this case will prevent you from having a live terminal (87) exposed on the relay when this circuit is turned on. Connect a ground wire to terminal 86. Now you just have to run 1 small gauge wire from terminal 85 through your firewall to your switch and connect it to a feed, personally I would recommend an accessory feed. Now that this circuit is installed, your fan will work as it normally does, but when you activate the circuit, it will shut off power to the fan (recommended before water crossings).The nice thing about this is that the fans work with the circuit off, and it will allow them to run properly when the vehicle is turned off. I would recommend adding a small LED to the switched side of your switch, just to remind you that the fans are off. Also for those of you who always seem to find trouble, make up a short piece of heavy gauge wire (couple of inches) and put a male spade connector on each end. That way, if the relay ever fails, you can simply pull the fan wires and jump them.

There's a lot more you can do with a relay, and I will write up a few other possibilities as time allows, in the meantime, here's a great interactive link for those still confused.

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

Enjoy
    Last edited by LugNutz; 08-14-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo
    You never truly know your limits until you exceed them....

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Nice write up.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 1 Min 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    As simple as they are, they drive guys crazy. Thanks for the write-up, will be referencing when ready to install my e-fan.
    OF4WD 5435
    2dr - 2010 - Rubicon
    Cake bakers united

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 2 Days 9 Hrs 17 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    Very nice - thanks.

I'm one of those guys who can sort of figure things out, but I have no idea - usually - how it might be working wrong, or how it could be made to be a better.

Now if I can just figure out how to wire in a fuse so it doesn't keep blowing up.

Scott
    Square headlights rock! []|||||[]

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    saw this great write up, reminded me of a site I have bookmarked.

now these are for SPDT (single pole double throw) relays, but they may come in handy for some.
    Relay Applications
    the site itself has some interesting reads, found near the bottom under 'Relays'
    insert something witty here

Time Online: 9 Hrs 13 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Just thought I'd send out complements on a great informative write up.
    Great job LugNutz..
    Richard - VE3UOD

2016 75th Anniversary Wrangler Unlimited X 2
    Sarge Green & Mojave Sand

2007 FJ Cruiser
    3" Lift, GPS, Dual Band Ham Radio equipped.
    285/70/R17 Hankook Dynapro M/T's, DC2 Rims
    Spring Tail Solutions Storage system

Time Online: 5 Hrs 51 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 8 Secs
    Had a couple of guys asking me again so lets bump this up.

Time Online: 2 Days 22 Hrs 36 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    Lugs you do good wrk what about wiring stereo's now. and any tips besides dont let me touch anyones truck?
    PitBoyz for Life
    the official trail sponcer for Jose Cuervo..
    READY FOR CAMPMING ALL YOU NEED IS A BOTTLE OF JOSE AND A LAWN CHAIR....... damn that embarrassing:confused:

Time Online: 18 Hrs 51 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Thanks for this write up!
    97 ZJ - Daily Driver
    93 ZJ - Parts Truck -- PM Me if you need any parts.

Time Online: 3 Hrs 9 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Very good intro to relays, which are an easy and powerful for adding some cool toys and options! Only thing that I would add is the control circuit (terminals 86 and 85) is an electromagnet and therefore generates a voltage spike when is turns off which can damage circuit boards. Most quality relays have an internal flyback diode to safely prevent this voltage spike but the relay must be wired correctly for it to work; voltage in to 86 and ground to 85 (I remember by thinking that 85 being the lower number is closer to the ground).

Paul

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    Thanks Paul. I'm comfortable with relays and have had to wire a couple in the Jeep before, but I never knew about the diode.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 46 Secs
    sorry to dig up an old post but , what about the new relays with the little pins . On the cover I believe it shows a capasitor and a diode I think.
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    ^lmao I'm not surprised that you bumped is thread at all Mike.

As for relays.... They all work on the same principal.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 55 Secs
    I don't know about a capacitor...I think you may be looking at the electrical symbol for a coil, which is present in every relay...I have never heard of a relay with a capacitor inside.

As for the diode, yes there are relays with diodes inside...they are called "suppression circuits" and it has nothing to do with the "new relays with little pins", it is common on the standard Bosch style 20/30 or 30/40 relays as well. It prevents a reverse voltage spike when the coil is de-energized by removing +12v or ground from the coil terminals (85 and 86). When a suppresion circuit is present inside a relay then you MUST use terminal 85 as ground and terminal 86 as +12v.

These diodes can also be installed outside of the relay on the backside (bottomside) of the relay harness or socket. There is also the option of the person constructing the circuit to install there own diode while putting the harness (socket) together.

Something to keep in mind with a diode when they are external to the relay or installed by the individual constructing the circuit. The cathode side (side with the stripe) is the side you would want to apply ground to...so you would want to verify which side of the coil the cathode is on...with an external diode it might not be terminal 85 as mentioned above for an internal diode.

In practice, all of my techs have always been trained to use terminal 85 as ground, regardless of the presence of a diode or not, or if the diode is internal or external. It is a good habit to have because there is never a question of which terminal is ground. They are also trained to recognize when the cathode is not on terminal 85 (in an external diode setup) and to correct it before continuing with the job. By doing this, everybody is on the same page and if one tech has to go back in and inspect or service anything that another tech originally worked on then it is known that terminal 85 is ground without question.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ