Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Winter Beater(95 ZJ Ltd)

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 4 Wks 19 Hrs 57 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 22 Secs

Project Winter Beater(95 ZJ Ltd)

So I have gotten rid of the S10, it was just too much truck for what I wanted it for. I already have a truck with 38"s and that weighs alot so I wanted to downsize so I can play in the smaller trails and not worry about having another full size truck there just incase I get stuck.

So I ended up getting a 95 ZJ Ltd, I personally really wanted a XJ but the ZJ came with a deal I couldnt refuse.

What it was when I recieved it:
    95 ZJ Limited with 4.0 HO and full time awd.
    Leather seats(First vehicle that I have owned with leather seats)
    And all the other nice goodies that come with the limiteds(power everything, trip computer etc, alarm, remote start, etc)
    Comes with what I believe is a 2" Budget boost in the front. The rear is also lifted but with coils I believe from the front of a V8.
    Skyjacker 7000 shocks all the way around that appear to be in decent condition not too sure how much lift they are for if anyone knows how to find out for sure let me know.
    33" goodyear mt/r's on some ar's. Also comes with a spare rim that looks almost new.
    Factory front recovery hooks.
    Cherry bomb exhast.

Now for the bad:
    Valve cover leak.
    Appears to have waterpump leak.
    Exhaust leak.
    Bad Battery
    Tires rub really bad on current configuration but man do they look good.
    Two front door handles were stuck pressed in and making it impossible to close the doors.
    The pass rear door appears to have no linkage for the door handles.

The reason of build:
    To have a decent lightweight offroad toy that I can enjoy in the smaller trails with the smaller rigs. Also to have a reliable winter beater so i can keep my pride and joy out of the salt and have time to work on it.

Here is the pictures that I recieved from the PO I still yet to take my own pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1275.jpg   IMG_1277.jpg  
    Last edited by Injunfarian; 08-13-2008 at 11:29 PM.

YouTube Videos
    98 AM General Hummer with 2" lift and 38" Tires
    1982 Suzuki LJ80V - Pretty much stock other than a light bar and some lights... lots of mods to come

My Mood
    Amazed
    So today consisted of working back and forth between my job(computers) and working on my new jeep. (Note the lack of work)

Ended up fixing the two front door sticky handle problems. Required alot of PB Blaster and a bit of prying with a screw driver.

Also just did a quick once over on the truck and noticed the various items(budget boost, rubbing issues, cherry bomb, leaky waterpump etc.).

Will be taking in to a shop tommorrow to get a thorough inspection so I know which direction to go with it.

Hope to have some new updates soon.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 48 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    looks good man, valve cover is a 10$ seal and 30minute job, battery is a 5 minute job, rubbing issues will happen with 33's for sure you need to trim your fenders out for 33's on a 2" lift. if you like i can trim them up for you like i did my old one when i make your bumpers and such on it...

looks like a clean start of a jeep! happy building

Cheers Steve

My Mood
    Amazed
    Yeah I figured valve cover will be easy, as for battery I already put some new terminals on it and thiefed my friends gel cell from your old truck just untill I get this one going.
    As for fender trimming I noticed there has already been some trimming on this truck but I might do a bit more and just take notes from your job on the chopped zj. Its parked just behind this one right now.

But yea its a decent rig, really like the interior of it with all those "luxory" options. Was going to trade it right away for an XJ or YJ but theres a bit of work to be done and I dont feel comfortable trading someone at this point... plus its kinda growing on my and definitely has grown on the gf.

My Mood
    Lurking
    oh ya its always nice to wheel in style and confort haha! just try and stay out of the water crossings and deep mud it can f*ck up all your fancy electronic stuff over time

My Mood
    Amazed
    haha tru but still going to dive right in it... if they do end up failing then it wasnt meant to be :P

Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    ^^^Keep your tranny out of high water too if you want to be driving it everyday. The vent is right behind the torque converter and water pours in once you get up past the marker lights.

My Mood
    Amazed
    ok thanks for the tips... anyone ever run a line from the vent to raise this limit?

My Mood
    Lurking
    you have to pull the tranny pul the torque converter plug that hole then drill and tap a new whole in the top of the case put a barbed fitting on it with a vent hose... a weekend job really...

Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    ^^^But would be worth it if you dont want to be changing tranny fluid everytime you go wheeling like me haha.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by tuff_jeep View Post
    you have to pull the tranny pul the torque converter plug that hole then drill and tap a new whole in the top of the case put a barbed fitting on it with a vent hose... a weekend job really...
    sounds like a fun weekend when time permits prolly save that for spring. For now ill just replace the tranny fluid all the time heh

My Mood
    Amazed
    So I just brought her back from an inspection by Canadian tire... they didnt tell me much I didnt know plus didnt even catch the valve cover leak. But isnt as much wrong with it as I thought.
    Needs new front rotors
    Has an exhuast leak at the Y pipe
    Tires apparently stick out too far... and also rub...
    needs new headlight.
    missing bushings on the sway bar.
    and rusty brake lines.

So i hope to have this all fixed in the next couple weeks... also have some used lift coils coming into me to raise the front up a bit more since it is a bit saggy... but here is some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0446.JPG   PICT0447.JPG   PICT0451.JPG  

My Mood
    Amazed
    So did some more work to the jeep yestarday went well besides a few lil mishaps.
    First is the coil spring shifted causing a bit of sag in the front end.
    Second is sourcing out a caliper bolt for this thing. Went to all the jobber places in town here and they all are trying to give me a bolt head with threads too small and a sleeve thats too wide... I have a one piece bolt with sleeve attached with a wide thread and i believe 7mm hex head. Anyone know where these caliper bolts are from.... apparently not stock ZJ stuff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0445.JPG   PICT0452.JPG   PICT0456.JPG  

Time Online: 15 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    One question, how do you afford to drive an H1 anywhere?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Is the head of the slide pin a hex or allen? If its an allen it looks to be from the front of a chevy J or N-car (cavalier Malibu etc or perhaps from an s-10.)

My Mood
    Amazed
    Hammer: same way yall can drive lifted jeeps i got 13-15mpg in my hummer so it isnt that baad fuel wise plus i have a contact in hamilton for super cheap bio diesel... also i am native so i go to the reserve for tax free gas heh.

CC: slide pin is allen but I found it from a 87 xj. Apparently there has been an axle swap.

Time Online: 2 Days 13 Hrs 19 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    how can i become native for tax free gas too
    i dont own a jeep lol

My Mood
    Amazed
    get yourself a native girl with a gas card :P

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunfarian View Post

CC: slide pin is allen but I found it from a 87 xj. Apparently there has been an axle swap.
    AHH yeah AMC carry over crap. Makes sense. Is at least a high pinion rev cut 30?

My Mood
    Amazed
    it is a high pinion as for rev cut im not to sure.... dunno how to tell either