Thread: Rattling noise in front pass. side when going over bumps

Time Online: 15 Hrs 7 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

Rattling noise in front pass. side when going over bumps

I have had this strange issue for some time now, and havent been able to figure out what is loose.

Basically its a rattling type noise, sounds like a flat metal piece hitting against another metal piece... kind of like if you were to grab a small aluminum sheet and hit it against another. Its coming from the passenger side dash/floor area. It isnt that loud, and doesnt sound like its anything serious, but i can hear it through music that is at a reasonable volume (raising volume does help, but i dont always want to be that loud!).

Its usually noisy going down most streets, but not all the time, my suspension is fairly stiff, so a lot of the vibrations transfer through. I cant generate this noise while standing still and trying to jump on the jeep to make bounce it around. Speed, or engine vibration/rpm doesnt trigger this... just bumps.

Ive opened up the pass side dash a bit, but i dont see or feel anything loose in there. Im guessing it may be coming from the engine compartment, perhaps under the battery or something, but i cant see anything that would be loose enough to cause it.

The mechanic things im crazy, but they did hear it somewhat (the pavement around the garage is too flat to generate it)... The suspension and underside looks and feels solid. I dont mind looking around to try and tighten this down myself to fix... i just dont know where to look.

Any suggestions?

Time Online: 16 Hrs 19 Mins 3 Secs
    does it do it when you turn or just when you hit bumps?
    try the axle u joint
    PIT BOYZ - PB4L
    3 TIME MINIVAN CHAMPION!
    WHEN IN DOUBT... GO FULL OUT!
    OF4WD # 4898 www.of4wd.com

JEEPLESS... for now... well sorta JEEPLESS
    97 K15 Suburban
    08 Grand Cherokee CRD

Drinks Well With Others!... WELL WITH MOST!
    PB4L

Actually it just makes rattling noise regardless, but just bumps or uneven roads cause it. Driving over any smooth pavement its fine, even braking or turning sharply. Sometimes it doesnt make any noise when doing that on a rougher street.

Ive had my axle ujoints replaced recently, but it was making rattling noise before the swap, and still does.

It sounds like the noise is coming from inside the dash... but it could be transferred through something else.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 54 Secs
    check yer caliper bolts, bet u the lower one is missing
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mayheminc View Post
    check yer caliper bolts, bet u the lower one is missing
    Do you mean the two bolts sticking out in this pic?
    http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/disc-brakes/DSC09422.jpg

I'm looking over the brakes on this page here: http://www.4x4xplor.com/disc-brakes.html as a sort of guide.

- and comparing to what is on my Jeep... the two bolts are in place, although the top one has got this funny shaped rubber bit over it (on both sides, so it must be good). But they are in place and are solid.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 54 Secs
    huh, that woulda been my first guess, second guess might be the tcase linkage which is also a common mystery rattle, if u do a search on this site u will find a detailed description of what im talkin about

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    sway bar links ???

Hmm, ill take a look at the tcase linkage. Its possible something is flapping around in that area, or maybe against the skid plate... although last time i felt up that area it looked good. But the sway bar links are solid. I actually have a few months ago upgraded to JKS disconnects (along with my body lift), and had the noise before the upgrade.

Hitting hard against the passenger side floor and area of the jeep doesnt reveal anything loose... outside and in.

It sounds like a piece of tin flapping around (not actually tin, but just that sort of noise), something small and light, not like a "clunk" that you would get hitting against something more solid. Perhaps something in the firewall area?

Im trying to get some sort of breakout diagram of that general area to see how its put together. I have found some service manual links from here, but all of them were dead long ago =/
    Last edited by Scavenger; 09-30-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Days 3 Hrs 44 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins
    what about the heat shield above your muffler? I know it's half way back on a TJ but it is a thin piece of metal on the passenger side???
    05 LJ Rubi on MTZ 285/75/16

Go Ahead. Get Dirty.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    It's amazing the stuff that you might find has fallen down the front of your dash. Had a noise like that once and turned out to be some coins and screws were laying around behind everything. I'm just saying it might not be mechanical.
    Hope you find it.
    2000 TJ 4.0L, 4" skyjacker, 1" BL, 1" MML, bushwacker flares, warn rock sliders, 35" Swamper LTB's, oversize spare carrier, detroit truetrac 44 rear, detroit truetrac super 30 front, stainless windshield/door hinges, 62mm TB, cold air intake, fuel management sys. ORO U-Turn steering system, SYE & CV DS, Adj. Uppers.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 8 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I had something that sounds similar to what you describe. Although my problem was in a yj it might be something to look for. On the Yj the vent air is located under the dashboard. the cable clamp had come loose and there was play between the housing and flap. everything is plastic, but I was surprised at the noise that it made. This probably wont apply to your tj but it seems that all the obvious stuff seems to be fine. Good luck