Thread: Air-Lift bags installed...

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs

Air-Lift bags installed...

Ordered a set of AirLift bags recently through Canadian Tire. Kit #60812, specifically designed for the 2nd gen 4Runner. AirLift has kits for almost anything with coils. It arrived fast - ordered on a Monday and had it by Wednesday. My work has recently become a distributor for AirLift, so no need to do a state-side trip anymore. The kit arrived very complete and well packaged. It included 2 bags, a length of trimmable air line, spring clips, air valves & instructions.

For the Runner, the coils must be removed and a 3/4" hole drilled for the air nipple of the bag. Difficult with the bump stops there, but not impossible. I would use a 1" hole saw on a 90° drill if I were to repeat it. Once done, bags were slipped in the coils and reinstalled. Lines were routed next to the sway bar, secured with the supplied ties. The Tee was fitted next to the ABS line, LHS, run up to the body, and enters the cabin through the grommet used for the tail light wiring to exit.

I drilled and mounted the supplied Air fitting (to fill the bags) in the rearmost pillar of the drivers side. With the line attached, I secured all lines to their parts with the supplied spring clamps. Helpers watched both bags for pinching as I added air the first time. At ~ 7psi, the truck started to rise. At 10, I was a solid inch higher. 28psi - achieved in about 4 seconds with the OBA system - equalled the rear fender height to the front (36"), and put a slight rake on the truck as a whole. I like it!.

Test drive; Not bad. Defenately more firm than coils alone, but not harsh. Vastly reduced body roll on on-ramps, and no squat on acceleration. Great things for a street truck. Articulation will suffer with this kit I think - this is not something to be used for an offroad truck. Put 30 clicks on 'em and rolled back in the shop. The LHS bump stop had gone cocked, bent 90° and sitting on top of the bag instead of in it. Lifted the truck, deflated the bags and reseated it. I made sure it sat deep in by inflating the bags slightly before lowering the truck onto it.

All in all, I'm pleased with the system. CTC price for most kits is $125, including this one. Installation took about 2 hours.

Last edited by Noltz; 10-07-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Corrected kit number.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 46 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    How do you think these would perform as "helpers" for a snow plow??
    "Now with more lemon"

First time to the top of Greens - Sunday August 17th 2008 ... What a trail!!

'06 TJ, 2in BB with 33in MT Baja MTZ - Needs to be higher.... much higher

OF4WD Member # 5534

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    I think they'd perform excellent in that application. It's exactly what they're used for - supporting long-term weight while allowing the suspension to work normally when unloaded. They're rated to 1000lbs - more than any plow kit I know of.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 10 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Interesting. Is this on your wheeling truck? Will you be wheeling with them?
    BEST4X4XFAR
    2002 Range Rover 4.6HSE Borrego Edition - Adventure Package, Dual Exhaust...
    1999 Volvo V70 R AWD- .:Ti Silver/Black:. SportsWagon
    1990 Land Rover Range Rover 3.9L V8- .:SandGlow Yellow:. Modded - Trail Rig-SOLD
    "Public Roads-Gov't Waste"
    1991 BMW M5- .:Black/Black:.Modded - Autobahn Machine-SOLD

Hey Muddy.. Yes, this is my wheeling truck. This is also the last year that I will have the plow on.. Next year there will be a six inch lift, so I would take the air bags out in the spring.. I may buy another beater Jeep to put the plow on next winter

Just installed the same airbags as Noltz.. Put mine in the front though, to help support the plow. They work awesome!! Last year, the poor Jeep was runnin on the bump stops but this year she's ridin high

Thanks for the suggestion Noltz