Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Way to Swap engines Legally in Ontario

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    testing one bank of the engine wont save you any emmisions each cylender puts out the same amout ppm as any other cylender therefore a 8cyl dsnt have a higher limit than a 4 cyl
    and working at canadian tire dsnt make you qualified.
    and only full time 4wds get the idle test

ok i dont want to get into a pissing contest but mechanics at canadian tires are just as qualified as any other mechanic at any other shop. im not a mechanic but an e-test inspector and e-test insepctors go thru the same qualifcations as any other bussiness that does emission testing. you may be right about the ppm but from what ive seen playing with the machine doing training runs out of curosity only having the probe in one tailpipe resulted in lower emissions. the rules state that we are to test the vehicle as it comes to the shop whether it is on the front tank or rear tank propane or gasoline and 2wd or 4wd we are not to select 2wd and test it, it is to stay in 4wd and be tested using the two speed idle test.

im just giving a hard time because you wrote the p.s and i found that realy cocky for a guy with 4 posts

the ppl on this site will give you the bennifit of the doubt without any cocky remarks like :i know better than you cause im in the buisness.

welcome to jeepkings knucklehead

thanks for the 4x4 info good stuff.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    im an e-test inspector at canadian tire and as far as emision testing goes here are the rules.
    1. anything that is 1987 and older will no longer be tested ever again BUT 1988 and newer will be tested every 2 years till the end of time or change of rules.
    2. we do not have to check for anything like a cat or egr valve we did have to in the past but has been removed from our visual inspection. basically drive clean stopped caring and said if ur car doesnt have a cat or you blocked off your egr valve you will probably fail and that is your problem not theirs.

(snip)

any other questions pm me or post on here and ill answer on this thread.
    p.s. not to be an asshole but i dont care what you have heard or been told by whoever you may know those are the rules and i know them well as i just re-newed my licence recently.
    Welcome to Jeepkings!

I too am an Inspector, and have been since 1998. My license is 4 digits long . It was me who wrote the FAQ at the top of this forum.

I was audited on Friday - CAT INSPECTION IS REQUIRED! Trust me... I got a stern warning as I too since I was under the same impression (that visual inspection was completely eliminated).

Everything from 1988 and up, except for a few Hyundias and a couple Chryslers, had cats from the factory. If I don't see one, I check the book.
    Last edited by Noltz; 12-29-2008 at 11:31 AM.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

my apologies to mud bros.1 and anyone else that found my comment cocky now that i re-read it i was a little cocky. I did not mean to come off cocky what so ever. i am currently working on my own 4x4 project and live in caledonia so when it is done i was hoping to get on some trails with people from this site so the last thing i want to do is offend any of you.
    noltz- you should be training the new guys on e-testing with inspector numbers like that!
    thanks for the heads up we just thought cause we put n/a that the ministry didnt care after realizeing u can get straight thru cats that look it on the outside and nothing on the inside.

again sorry and i hope you guys will still let me ride with you this summer.

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 5 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    .....and 2wd or 4wd we are not to select 2wd and test it, it is to stay in 4wd and be tested using the two speed idle test.
    I got by this way once myself. My old XJ was due for a test; I took it in the the CT around the corner from my office. I don't recall the details but for some reason I let them believe that it might be in 4wd. (seems strange since a quick look down would tell you it wasn't). At any rate, they thought it was in 4wd and therefore couldn't put it on the rollers but did the idle test instead.
    http://webstyles.ca/JeepKings/Indepe...d-Sig-Line.jpg

2004 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4 Crew Cab
    3.3L V6
    32" BFG M/T
    Cobra 29 NW ST

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 20 Hrs 26 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Jeepman’s Offroad

45 Lancing Dr. Unit #6

Hamilton ON

L8W 2Z9

(905)383-5437

www.jeepmansoffroad.com

Shop hours are Mon-Fri 12PM till 8PM Closed Sat-Sun

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    ^^^ I had my vehicle in there this week. Great service. Alex definitely knows his stuff.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Time Online: 5 Hrs 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Jeepman Alex did a 4.2 to 4.0 swap for me. Very happy with results.

Of course I had blown my 4.2 ....... lol @ me. Still, he did right by me.
    Who you calling inutile?

Post Whore Extraordinaire.... Whore in recovery

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs
    Just wondering, I'm looking at the new Wrangler with plans to do a Diesel swap later on (ones the warranty is up) Is that even possible to keep Driveclean legal though? Could a Diesel be made to pass the same requirements as a 3.8?

I'm cross posting this with the drive clean FAQ as it seems somewhat relevant to both and this just happens to be the thread google linked me to, I hope no one minds.