Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grand cherokee sheet steel bumper

Time Online: 9 Hrs 7 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

Grand cherokee sheet steel bumper

Some of you have seen the XJ bumpers that I have designed and now it is time to design a ZJ one.

After building my grand up earlier this year and rolling around all summer with no bumpers I finally have a chance to start designing and building one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junk 006.jpg   junk 001.jpg   grand 002.jpg   IMG_4266 - mod.JPG  
    95 ZJ 5.2L, Custom long arm 4 link Rear 3 link panhard front. D44/9" 4.88's locked and spooled,37x12.5 MTRs, 1 ton steering, Currently bumperless but rolling.

Here is the beginning of the frame bracket and the winch mount structure.

They bolt together for ease of install. (Hmmmm I wonder if people would like the frame brackets as a blank so they can build their own bumper off of them )

It is not finished yet, there are gussets that I have to design into it and then put some side supports for the outer edges of the bumper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gc front mounting plate.jpg   gc front winch structure.jpg  

Here is the outer shell with a side and back profile along with a front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gc front.jpg   gc front1.jpg   gc side.jpg  

Front mock up with an approximated grand cherokee body and a stuffed 37in tire.

Where the tire is located in the picture is at fully stuffed height, the tire actually contacts the stock fenders, so the bumper is designed around it hence the cut out on the side

and no bitching about the poor quality of my grand model
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gc back.jpg   assem1.jpg  
    Last edited by Black88YJ; 11-17-2008 at 09:27 PM.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 5 Days 6 Hrs 17 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 14 Secs
    how much to build 1 for a 93 grand

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 1 Hr 24 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 11 Secs
    Looks good Brad
    The brave man may not live long but the cautious man never lives at all.

jed,

whats happening dude, how has everything been.

hit me up with a PM, been too long.

Bradford

Skeeter

I am in process of building the first one for my jeep after that I will let you know if I am going to build them.

The price would probably be in the range of $500 powder coated and ready to bolt on.

Bradford

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    Nice work. what do you use as your cad software?
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    I got 10 bucks on solidworks.

love that software...

nice work bradford. I just read your suspension build on soxja...impressive

you got any suspension #'s from a calculator for your links?
    CRAIG-3D CAD junkie-IMAX Screen designer

-97 ZJ #2 LTD...built,flogged & flopped all in a matter of 7 days..redefining luxury wheelin! 97 ZJ Laredo, hand built, abused, and jumped off a 12' snowbank... RIP

oh, not sure if you thought of it yet...but something to think about is a custom rad support that sandwiches the outside of the frame rails and bolts into the bumper mounts (inside the frame rails), also a nice addition is the lower rad support bolts on the bottom of the frame

it's good reinforcement for the thin walled frame and ties in nicely so the winch/tow point pulls from both rails, distributing the stress

Canadian ZJ, someone owes you $10, if we meet some time i'll buy the first beer.

Solidworks is quick and easy, i used to use catia but it is more in depth than I need, I only use it now for some 3d force calculations.

as far as the mounting plates that is exactly what I am doing, I am going to make a bracket that matches the inner piece and has a 90 degree bend at the bottom to mate up with the two bolts on the lower rad support.

I was also thinking of making a shorter bumper with a seperate rad support skid but decided to enclose the entire thing. I would rather protect everything all at once.

you talk like you are an engineer or something. I bet that is why you want to see the link numbers. I will get them up here soon.

i'll keep updating at the planning goes. I might get the inners cut soon so i can test fit, time willing.

Bradford

Time Online: 3 Hrs 51 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Hey Brad that looks great...(kinda familiar though??) But hey we'll have to catch up this weekend. Looks like you've got a lot done for that bumper since the last I remember.

Did you get the rear bumper set up yet?

marcus
    94 cherokee
    449 spool/spool
    513 yukon
    custom laser cut front winch bumper
    Leather Seats & Wood Grain dash Baby!
    and more

Marcus,

closer on the front than the rear i want to finish the front this week and then make sure i have all of the mounting brackets correct, so maybe cut those for friday pickup. I will then be cutting the rest of the bumper next week to assemble hopefully soon after.

The rear is pretty far but I am still not liking the current setup that I have, it is too heavy but it will be one of those tradeoff things.

Bradford

Update, added some gussets and side plates to the bumper, still need to reinforce the frame mounts and build the opposing bracket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gc front bumper 11-18-08.jpg  

Lol that beer sounds great. Maybe ill meet you up in bob next wheelin season

Solidworks is an awesome tool. Catia is great for FEM but for speed and versatility solidworks is the ticket

good thinking on those brackets

I wish I had a hook up with a laser cutter. I worked with one for a few months last year, but that was after I had fab'd my bumper by hand..1 piece at a time and 20 hrs later...good thinking on the rad support. My bumper is heavy enough as it is so I elected to make a bolt on rad skid...whenever I get around to it...

we should start a 3D rear bumper design thread...in a few weeks..sounds like we both have some thinking to do

Yeah Im kind of a wanna be engineer. Did 2 years at U of T and hated all the prehistoric theory...so I've been a mech designer in automotive and nuclear for 3 years. In Jan. Im heading back to college for an advanced CAD design diploma.

Love to meet ya and shoot the shit someday...and those link #'s would be great...going be throwing around some link #'s this weekend for a long arm build in coming weeks

Last edited by CANADIAN ZJ!; 11-20-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Update,

Added some more gussets, blew some holes in stuff to lighten, currently 125lbs. beefed up the frame mounts but have not added bottom attachment plate, probably put it over 130.

More to come, will be cutting proto frame mounts this week.

rear bumper design is on in a couple of weeks.

Link numbers coming this week. shoot me a PM with what you plan is for the suspension, I'll fill you in on some of the issues i had and how i approached the whole build.

Bradford
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gc front bumper 11-23-08.jpg  

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 30 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    May I suggest that you consider keeping the over-all hieght of the bumper as short as possible...for approach angle.......and aesthetics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gc%20front%20bumper%2011-23-08.jpg  
    '94 Grand Cherokee Lerado
    7 inches up
    Long arms by STAANG
    NP231
    35" Mudkings
    yadayadayada...

Time Online: 2 Days 11 Hrs 55 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    Looks good. I look forward to see a the finished product.

I noticed the holes on the bottom of the bumper are set out horizontally. I was planning to make mine vertical to lessen the chance of getting 'hung up' when skidding over something. Just something I noticed from a bumper on another machine which kind of acted like a cheese grater especially in deep snow.

What's your target weight? and does it include the winch?

I haven't found where to buy it yet, but was hoping to install a 2x4x10 inch strip of relatively soft rubber on either side of the fairlead to assist in pushing cars around in the parking lots etc...Keeping in mind that I plan to use this as a daily driver.
    I am somewhat concerned about the amount of damage this bumper will do just "grazing" someone in a parking lot, never mind an actually accident. There really is no give, compared to the plastic, foam, and light sheet metal original. I guess that is the difference between driving a 'car' and driving a 'truck'
    WAIT! don't cut that...that's a load bearing zip tie

fiddleguy,

Unfortunatly the amount I have sunk the winch dictates the overall height of the bumper. I am trying to keep the grill as clear as possible to stay away from overheating issues on the highway.

So far the bumper is quite tall, and I will show a complete drawing with a 37" tire and the front mockup drawing that I have, it looks to be pretty big.

I also set the bumper up to protect the bottom of the rad as well, the tradeoff is the loss of approach angle.

Travis,

the horizontal holes in the bottom were to try to get more air into the lower portion of the rad, kind of like the stock bumper.

I dont know if i like the design yet, might end up raising the winch up to get more approach back.

Bradford