Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 95 Pathfinder Build

Time Online: 4 Days 6 Hrs 18 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs

My 95 Pathfinder Build

I got a 1995 Pathfinder that I am planning to use as a Daily Driver but I want to wheel it on the weekends. My plans are 5" lift, Big tires (dont know what I want on this project), 15X 10 Wagon wheels, etc.

Here are a few pice of my 95 and my parts Pathfinder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pathfinder.jpg   Partspathfinder.jpg  

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 2 Days 9 Hrs 17 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    Cool. I love the old triangular windows!

For advice and whatnot on your build - presuming you want any - why not check out NPORA? I'm sure the guys around here can help, but a site deidicated to Pathy's????

http://npora.ipbhost.com/

Scott
    Square headlights rock! []|||||[]

This is what I have done with a few spare hours last night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lifted path.jpg   lifted path1.jpg  

needs abit more lift in the front!

lil_loco Guest
    how you do it? got a pathfinder thats jealous...

Time Online: 7 Hrs 16 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    do the wheels even turn?

what are your plans for the lift? there is a reason you dont come across many lifted pathfinders... but what fun is it if it is not unique

maybe a Solid Axle in the front and some coilovers in the rear? 5" will be hard to get out of the stock suspension... you looking to do this on the cheap or are you gonna through some cash at it?
    '89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
    '98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
    '98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
    '03 VW Jetta TDI
    '78 Vette 350 4spd
    www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

My Mood
    Bored
    If the t-bars are cranked up in the front it should be fine - looks like there's plenty of room to still move them. This is presuming those tires aren't bigger than
    33".

If they are bigger they'll tear the apart the front - they do look a wee bit wide... Or is that the back-spacing?

Scott

My Mood
    Asleep
    Time Online: 7 Hrs 3 Mins 57 Secs
    the one thing that i have heard happens on the trail is the torsion bar mounts ripping off the frame or actually pulling out of the mounts themselves... if u got some time and are able to cut and weld i would suggest the solid axle swap
    PIT BOYZ
    13 Jk sport 4 dr
    Cormier Towing

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Banger View Post
    the one thing that i have heard happens on the trail is the torsion bar mounts ripping off the frame or actually pulling out of the mounts themselves... if u got some time and are able to cut and weld i would suggest the solid axle swap
    agreed... nissan torsion bars are fairly fragile... seen 5 -10 of them broken in my day... compared to toyotas which I deal with daily and have never seen one break.

SAS it

Quote Originally Posted by lil_loco View Post
    how you do it? got a pathfinder thats jealous...
    Cranked up the torsion bars and put on Calmini Upper control arms with longer travel shocks in the front in the rear I used front coils from a 1974 Ford F150 they are better for towing than the lift ones from Calmini with far longer shocks I got about 3.5" in the rear. As for tires they are 33-14.5R15 on 15X10 wheels and no it did not turn but looked cool! I am putting different wheels and tires on it than sending out to the alignment shop. In the spring I hope to go up 3-4 more inches if I still like it or sell it to help pay for a Frontier project that I want to do!

My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by someone View Post
    agreed... nissan torsion bars are fairly fragile... seen 5 -10 of them broken in my day... compared to toyotas which I deal with daily and have never seen one break.

SAS it

That's crap. I've wheeled with a lot of Nissan's - I'm in the friggin' Nissan club and do it all the time - and the t-bars don't just snap apart random. There are a few stories of the stock bars snapping, but they are few and far between, and certainly fewer than a guy snapping a leaf or a coil. I don't know where you're coming from on this - a torsion bar is just as strong, if not far stronger than a spring - and there is nothing wrong with the Nissan stock bar. It's a spring.

I'm not sure where you're coming with this..... Enlighten me.

Scott
    Last edited by Scotto; 11-22-2008 at 03:49 AM.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 22 Hrs 59 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    i ran a 1992 pathfinder with 5.5" of lift and 3" body lift on 35's kicked the hell out of it. never broke anything in over 2 years except snapped a tie rod and one cv joint. toughest truck i've ever had. all the suspension was was rancho zj 3.5'' lift coils which gave my truck 5.5'' in the rear. re-indexed the torsions and ball joint spacers. jumped it a few feet in the air numerous times and never broke anything doing that. 01si i've still got the rear coils if your interested and i can show you whatever you need to know about the front end if you wanna go higher with the suspension. i know you've got the calmini uppers so you dont need the balljoint spacers. check your tension rods there called. the are the part that bolts onto the front lower control arm at the back of it. the part thats connects it to the frame. the nissans are notorious for those wearing out. they should be about 5/8's thick. mine were worn down to about 3/16's lol. i can show you that stuff more detailed. kind of hard to explain. pm me if you want any more info.

I am generalizing nissan, not just pathfinders... I saw one X-terra come into the shop with 50k on it, never been off road, torsion bar snapped at the crossmember... Looking into it with the dealer and the aftermarket it seems to be a fairly common problem, the aftermarket had replacement HD T-bars available for the X-terra within months of the vehiclews launch (Astro/Safari AWD's are notorious for breaking them aswell, GM redesigned the T-bars in late 95) I have also seen an 89 pathy with the bar broken in a similar spot, but the truck was abused.

Torsion bars are much tougher and longer lasting than any other coventional spring and can supply a very nice ride.... If they are designed correct, just take a Porsche for a ride.

I have never seen a Toy with a broken bar... If I was going to wheel a nissan I would SAS it, that is all I am saying
    Of course, I would SAS a toy aswell.
    Last edited by someone; 11-22-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    First: I'm totally diggin' that 01si is doing something different.

I've had a Pathy come in, LF suspension had collapsed. Torsion bar had pulled out of it's "adjuster bracket". It's the only one in ~ 13 years of wrenching? But I've never seen it on another vehicle. Not knocking the Nissan at all. Just make (sure if it's preventable) that you do what's needed to make it safe & reliable. No different that YJ's carrying spare shafts.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    First: I'm totally diggin' that 01si is doing something different.

I've had a Pathy come in, LF suspension had collapsed. Torsion bar had pulled out of it's "adjuster bracket". It's the only one in ~ 13 years of wrenching? But I've never seen it on another vehicle. Not knocking the Nissan at all. Just make (sure if it's preventable) that you do what's needed to make it safe & reliable. No different that YJ's carrying spare shafts.

Thanks! I am doing the Pathfinder to be a little different!

I got a jeep but I dont want to wheel it. It is a 1946 Willys CJ 2A That my grandfather bought new in 1947. It is restored back to original with the willys plow and PTO. 3 on the tree, 7 piece canvas etc.. It has been in a few Mopar Calenders over the past few years. If is Harvest tan with Sunset red wheels.

Jason

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 8 Hrs 25 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 13 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by 01si View Post
    I got a jeep but I dont want to wheel it. It is a 1946 Willys CJ 2A That my grandfather bought new in 1947. It is restored back to original with the willys plow and PTO. 3 on the tree, 7 piece canvas etc.. It has been in a few Mopar Calenders over the past few years. If is Harvest tan with Sunset red wheels.

Jason
    pics of the jeep

Pics of the Willys are on the way! Got it in storage so I am looking around for pics. As for the Pathfinder I am in the process of building a Idler Are brace Kind of like the Calmini one but abit thicker. I was told that the idler arm is a very weak point in the stearing system. I got an other rear diff housing that I am adding skid plates and reinforcing the hell out of it!

My Mood
    Bored
    Yeah, you'll want to brace the idler arm. Also, you might find that centre-link will want to go squirrely on the pitman arm side - there's a ball joint on that side that isn't what you'd call very strong. What happens is that the CL twists into the ball joint, and that torque is applied to the tie-rod, resulting in a bent tie-rod adjuster. There are fixes - for the CL, and there are beefier TR adjusters out there.

Here-s a link: https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=436. Remember that pathy's and xterras share a lot of parts.

The actual TREs are fine, although I did bump those up to something better - just can't remember with what.

Scott

Time Online: 1 Day 6 Hrs 45 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Sweet. . .I get a little misty every time I see a pathfinder project . .I built a 95 4dr a few years back . .Just a mild build 3" susp (control arms, tortion bars, ford springs) ran 31x10.50's on offset wheels. Ran great everywhere I took it, on and off road. A little under powered for the weight of the vehicle, but still one of my favorite rides I've owned.

4x4parts.com really helped out with some parts, Calmini racing too. Good luck, get this thing up there . .I kept mine mild, would love to see yours on a solid front axle.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Nice finder. I have always liked them and have seen stockers that have floored me at what they will go through.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.