Thread: Solid Works Drawings

Time Online: 2 Days 11 Hrs 54 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs

Solid Works Drawings

Just wondering if anyone is willing to share solidworks drawings.
    I've been known to make some pretty lousy drawings in the past but attention to detail where it is needed seems to get me by.
    It could save some of us a lot of time if we were to share basic drawings to use as a starting point.
    I was just going to start a sketch of a ZJ to see what I could do as far as designing a front bumper.

Any thoughts?

Travis
    WAIT! don't cut that...that's a load bearing zip tie

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 5 Secs
    I'm just curious, where does one find SolidWorks?

Is it one of those CAD applications that you'll need to find it from a specialty store and pay $300, or can it be downloaded for free (hence it's popularity)?
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    300? try 3000.00
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 9 Hrs 19 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 41 Secs
    try 20 000 for an industrial liscence
    1990 Cherokee 2dr, 38's, toyota axles, 488's, welded front and rear, D300, Square driveshafts, Riding on leaves.

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    free via rapid share
    OF4WD member # 4799

Karolina's Border Collies
    www.Karolinabc.ca

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 5 Secs
    ^^^ Free is more in my price range.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    Although we discuss solidworks as 'easy' and a very useful tool for design purposes, you have to take it in context. Solidworks is a $3000 software plus a $1000/yr license. It can be had via torrents and the like but it's 2gb+ and it's by no means similar to freeware/ pick up and figure out simple software.

We consider it 'easy' relative to other design/engineering software not easy like using paint (in that regard, for concept purposes try google sketchup, you wont get machining/detail drawings from it, but it's a good way to communicate your ideas). Most of us throwing it around like that have a background/education in CAD design. It's a powerful software that takes weeks to pick up and 100's of hours to master.

on that note, I like your idea Travis. At least to share models of the fenders/general body of the vehicle to start from would save a lot of work without giving away a whole design. Unfourtunatly I built my front without drawings, so I can only offer pictures...but I'll be contributing to a rear bumper CAD thread

CRAIG-3D CAD junkie-IMAX Screen designer

-97 ZJ #2 LTD...built,flogged & flopped all in a matter of 7 days..redefining luxury wheelin! 97 ZJ Laredo, hand built, abused, and jumped off a 12' snowbank... RIP

Time Online: 9 Hrs 7 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I'll probably hook you guys up with some stuff when I know they are good, after I build my front i'll put that out.

I have most of the rear already drawn up Canadian ZJ, just have to decide on how to make the tire carrier. But we can start that up in a few weeks, I'll get you the rear solidworks drawing of the body.

Bradford
    95 ZJ 5.2L, Custom long arm 4 link Rear 3 link panhard front. D44/9" 4.88's locked and spooled,37x12.5 MTRs, 1 ton steering, Currently bumperless but rolling.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 3 Hrs 15 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 58 Secs

slider drawings

i would contribute xj sliders if we get a drawing thread going. i have been looking for some bumpers design/patterns to start with but haven't found any. i have some started but nothing solid as of yet. Sliders are AutoCad drawing format with cutlist and bill of materials fully dimensioned. Gottem on my xj for the past year. like them alot. they are similar to Rock lizard skink sliders.Attachment 33269
    Last edited by Ross; 06-19-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    O.F.4.W.D. #5263

Time Online: 2 Days 11 Hrs 54 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    Sounds good, I started drawing a rough sketch of the whole zj, with attention to a detailed front end .. however I think I'll hold off on posting it until I work on it some more. Frankly, it's kind of embarrassing.

Does anyone here use Plasma Cam?

Glad to hear we are thinking along the same lines.
    Cheers

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    I'd be willing to share/contribute, except my SolidWorks knowledge isn't very strong. I know AutoCAD and CATIA pretty well though, I'm sure I'll learn SolidWorks in time.

I was hoping to mock up the Jeep bumper mounting points so that I could come up with some bumper designs and have them designed to be a quick bolt-on. Same would go for frame rails and rear bumper mount locations. Although I have all these great ideas, the problem is that I'm lazy and more focused on finding a job right now.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Time Online: 11 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 43 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I would bring it back to life. I have solidworks at home and use it at work. I am going to start drawing stuff for my XJ.
    I was wondering if anyone has a drawing/model of the mounting points for a bumper on an XJ.
    89 YJ - 4.0 HO, AW4, flipped dana300, Hp44 locked cromo'd and highsteer, 9inch spool and disc brakes, 5.13 gears, waggy front springs (2inch stretch), custom 4link rear, 102in wb, 36 sx's.

Tow Rig - 2002 Chev 2500 4x4 6.6 Duramax Diesel

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 17 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Secs
    we'd be better off sharing dwg or dxf files for all 2d work and a parasolid for all 3d stuff.

but I know nothing
    11 F150 tow rig/ DD
    87 Sami buggy
    99 XJ RIP
    91 XJ RIP
    86 CJ5 RIP

Time Online: 2 Days 1 Hr 17 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    parasolids for 3d are best. make sure you save as version 12 x_t as it converts the best. I have tons of things drawn in cad as I have been building my jeep for sometime and wouldn't mind sharing if we get thread going but it would all depend on how big the attachments are allowed to be. The best 3d I have is a SBC 350 and TH350. looking for a D300 if anyone has one. also have rubi joints and link stuff and bumpers and crap like that. I do have SW2008 and ironcad 11, so I can convert to most formats.
    Steve Rogers
    Crazy Bastard

Time Online: 2 Days 1 Hr 17 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    I have this so far. still need a rad, axles and body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JEEP oct 09.jpg  

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 3 Days 15 Hrs 28 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by hprtech View Post
    parasolids for 3d are best. make sure you save as version 12 x_t as it converts the best. I have tons of things drawn in cad as I have been building my jeep for sometime and wouldn't mind sharing if we get thread going but it would all depend on how big the attachments are allowed to be. The best 3d I have is a SBC 350 and TH350. looking for a D300 if anyone has one. also have rubi joints and link stuff and bumpers and crap like that. I do have SW2008 and ironcad 11, so I can convert to most formats.
    This is a great tread to keep alive! for sure!

I use Vectorworks 12 on my Mac. I will be getting to a few bush bar, nerf bar and wheel flair designs for my rig... If I ever find some time. Just a question.... do you have any bumper designs front or rear for a early YJ (1988) that you might want to share? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?