Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet floors in winter??

Time Online: 1 Hr 27 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Wet floors in winter??

Posted this at JF.com, hopefully I can get some feedback here too

Hey guys, got my 03 TJ this summer, first winter with it. Have a hard top on it for the winter.

We have snow, and our temps are fluctuating between just below and just above freezing. So of course any snow on the roof/back window will melt every so often. Especially when I have the heat on inside.

The problem is my carpets everywhere are wet.
    At the driver side front, there was about .5" of sitting water that I had to pull the drain plug for. The carpet's still soaked there. Passenger side front, the carpet's soaked too, but not as much water.

Directly behind the front seats the carpet is soaked on both sides.

And in the rear, the carpet is consistently wet, though there's no significant amount of water beneath it.

Also, on the ceiling of the hard top on the inside, some ice constantly forms, then melts when I turn the heater on. A little bit of water drips down when it melts, but not much at all.

Is this normal? What can I do about it? There are no 'visible' leaks in or around the top, and it seems in perfect condition. It's hooked on at the top of the windshield, and all 6 bolts are in the back. Weather stripping on my full doors seems perfect too.

I don't like the idea of sitting water on my floors constantly, especially when my feet carry in salt that will mix with it. The floor under the driver side pedals is already starting to rust a bit.

I do also have rubber mats in the front on both sides.

Please help! Thanks
    Last edited by webz; 11-27-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Time Online: 1 Day 14 Hrs 17 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    hmm... ya got me...

have you checked to make sure your hardtop is seated correctly?
    PIT BOYZ - PB4L OF4WD # 4898 www.of4wd.com
    WHEN IN DOUBT... GO FULL OUT!
    1985 K1500. SBC, 700r4, 44 front, 14b rear 4:56 40" TSL's
    Drinks Well With Others!... WELL WITH MOST!
    PB4L

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 18 Hrs 6 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    ummm i have the exact same problem with my tj, glad im not alone lol.
    yea ive tried everythin u said as well and its not getting eny better...dont want my jeep to b a rusty bucket already
    let me kno if u find anythin out?
    thanks

Time Online: 22 Hrs 26 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    take the carpet out, hippo line it and pull ur drain plugs...... works for me,lol
    Richard
    13 JK Sahara Unlimited

That would be a summer project, though I am considering pulling all the carpets for winter now
    Would be easier to lay down towels constantly...

Just don't want to risk scratching the floors through the paint (with shoes, or my hockey crap in the back) so they rust faster

Would love to fix the cause of this

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 24 Secs
    I suspect that ice on the roof is from moist air in the Jeep due to water evaporating from the carpets. I had the same problem in my TJ - it was the weatherstripping around the bottom corners of the rear lift glass. If you look at the corners and can see through gaps, this is probably the issue. I fixed it with peel and stick closed cell foam from Home Depot and havent had a problem since.

Thanks, someone at JF just mentioned the rear glass corners too. I'd ruled it out though, as most of the water gathers at the front. But if the Jeep tilts forward normally, I guess the water could all run forward from there.
    I'll try that foam, what section would I find it?

Did you have wet carpets/water buildup, or just the wet ceiling?

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by webz View Post
    That would be a summer project, though I am considering pulling all the carpets for winter now
    Would be easier to lay down towels constantly...

Just don't want to risk scratching the floors through the paint (with shoes, or my hockey crap in the back) so they rust faster

Would love to fix the cause of this
    trust the fact that your floors will rust out much faster having salty wet carpets sitting on them than having a few scratches that have time to dry.

The water dripping from the hard top is condensation. the cold outside warm inside will cause this and there is an abundance of water present as well. Check the drain for the cold air box. this should drain outside, sometimes they get plugged with leaves and other crap and drain inside. check by pouring water into it.

other than that... I dunno...
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Quote Originally Posted by Jak Flash View Post
    Check the drain for the cold air box.
    Thanks, where would I find this? Bottom of the intake air filter box?

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    its the hole infront of the windshield. its where your fan for inside air draws from.

Up the Hill from "Shrek's Swamp" and down the road from "Cultural Hub of the universe"
    Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 9 Hrs 14 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 6 Secs
    Instead of using towels, try newspaper (about one or two sections). The paper will soak up more water faster. Take the paper out the next day. You may need to do it a few times but it will draw the water out. I use the same idea when my boots get wet at work.
    Leave the paper in to long and it'll smell bad.
    86 CJ Juggy
    67 Chevy Step side
    79 C20

Time Online: 3 Hrs 5 Mins 40 Secs
    I have a 03 tj and i had the exact same problem last winter, water was coming from the rear window weather stripping and also from the front which was caused from the drain in the heater intake section being full of mud. It was so bad that water leaked in when it rained out in the summer and such, just clean that drain, youll find a rubber collector hose against the firewall behind the top of the engine, i just took it off and left it off. This winter ive started getting a leak between the passenger door and the body below the windshield, its just from weather stripping wear

Time Online: 1 Day 20 Hrs 9 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    Dude!
    Take the carpets out.
    When I bought my 05TJ Rubie brand new
    The carpets were out the next day.
    Nothing like wet salty rugs to rot the floor
    and everywhere around it.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 5 Secs
    As said above, take out your carpets (at least until you fix the water problem).
    Having water trapped between the floor and the carpet will rot out your floors faster than having the bare metal exposed with the ability to dry out.
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

Time Online: 17 Hrs 58 Mins 52 Secs
    X-whatever on taking the carpets out, and the drain plugs... my hardtop has a few leaky issues at the rear glass too,

I bought a chunk of that rubber on the roll from canadian tire (hallway mat rubber) and cut it to fit the rear area for when im hauling tools or the dog... keeps the scratches away, and its super easy to just roll up and take out to let everything dry..
    Keepn' the Rubber Side down.

'06 TJ | 2 headlights | broken cheap ass fogs | 30 lbs of mud in frame | undersized spare | dented fender | dented rear quarter | Stainless washers on license plate | softdoors with broken handles | Three black box thingies that look expensive | rusty hitch | lots more payments

I Support OF4WD

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    thank you i needed a new sig

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Days 3 Hrs 11 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 43 Secs
    I think we can all agree on the carpet.

One thing to consider is that you may have a blocked drain plug at the firewall.

That small cowl at the front of your windshield (between the hood and windshield)can be removed and there you will find a drain hole. If that fills with mud and trail debris the area will not drain and the water will then come in overtop the fire wall.

I noticed this summer that when it rained water would just drip from the dashboard and when cornering would pour out between the cowl seam and the fenfer...Just take the cowl off and clean the drain hole.

Not sure if that is the problem but thought I would chime in.
    Condition grounded, but determined to try.

Time Online: 6 Days 9 Hrs 2 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    seadog might be right on with this, I had the same problem last winter. I noticed some water at the passenger footwell but I also heard the water being swished around by the heater fan. Not good. I know its not dripping from my tops(hard and soft) so I suspect its coming from the cowl area.

Carepts and plugs are out, floor is dried up (for now)

I'll take a look at the drain plug by the firewall. I'll also take it through a carwash this weekend, maybe I can see where it's coming in.

Thanks guys, I'll update with what happens

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Days 3 Hrs 11 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 43 Secs
    ^If you are worried about scratching the floors and stuff. Just go buy some spray on rocker guard and paint the floor with that.

If it gets scuffed up you just retouch it. My wife bought 8 cans this summer and did the whole tub with it. It worked great and all we had to do was touch up the floor pans in the fall. I Hurculined mine at a cost of a couple hundred $$$, hers cost $80.

This can be a good cheap way of protecting your floor till you decide just what kind of liner you want to go with. (linex, hurculiner, hippo....etc)

Belive me you have just done the best thing for your floors by removing the carpets.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 18 Hrs 6 Mins 46 Secs
    yea i think ill just take the damn carpet out...now that i think about it. i was also thinkin if u have installed a stereo the ground wire hole in the floor(if u had to drill it out) could be letting water in???anyways how much is rhino lining or is there a cheaper way??lol