Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The half of jeep4752...

Time Online: 4 Days 1 Hr 15 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs

The half of jeep4752...

Hi, many of you on here have likely seen my ads for various parts for sale. What many don't know about me is my passion for flat fender jeeps. I own a '47 CJ2a and a '52M38, hence the name jeep4752.
    Pictured below is the second jeep i built, my '47. The pic shown is the day i bought it....for $5.00! The other pic is the same jeep finished and how it appears today, fully rebuilt.
    I do all my own work, i mean ALL. The only thing i didn't do was the machine work for the engine. I built the entire body tub by myself using rather basic tools, no fancy machinery. The body is built to the same dimensions as the originals. The only parts saved from the original pic is the firewall, dash, 2/3's of the toeboards and the cowl top, and oh ya, the headlight pots. The front clip is repop as is the windshield frame and tailgate.
    Let me know if you would like to see pics of the buildup? I have over 200 pics of this thing in every stage of the rebuild.
    This is the result of someone who cares about preserving old jeeps, i wish i could save them all from the crusher, i have saved two.
    Most people thought i was nuts to take this on, but i knew i could do it and i did, all in one year to the day!!!
    And oh ya, its not a typical 45mph screamer in the top end either...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1947 Willys Jeep Restoration, start to finish 002.jpg   1947 Willys Jeep Restoration, start to finish 142.jpg  

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep4752 View Post
    \Let me know if you would like to see pics of the buildup? I have over 200 pics of this thing in every stage of the rebuild.
    hell ya i wana see picks dont even ask post em up
    im another jeeper that hates to see jeeps go to waste
    good job man

Crazy jeep build

That sounds like a good build post it up !!!!!!!
    Last edited by c.ritter; 12-16-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 14 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 22 Secs
    that 47 is gorgeous! pics or ban!
    JB Weld. You're my only friend.

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    Me likey! The older the better for me. Thanks for saving them. Pics are always welcome.
    1991 Xj Gone to a new home.
    1948 willys Jeep pickup sitting and waiting.
    1984 toyota currently beating & building.

OF4WD #6069

more stuff...

Here are some more pics of my '47 for you. The first pic is what i managed to save, the cowl section, of course the sides would be later trimmed off it. The second pic is rebuilding the toeboards. The third pic is the right rear wheel well all welded and ready to be attached to the cargo floor. The fourth pic is of the bottom of the completed cargo area showing new 1x2" tube braces and wheel wells attached. The fifth pic is of the completed rear cargo assemble ready to be bolted to frame.
    More to come.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 019.jpg   The '47 022.jpg   The '47 029.jpg   The '47 025.jpg   The '47 033.jpg  

and more pics for you....

In pic one we have the cargo area bolted down to the nearly mint '48 CJ3a frame. Pic two shows new tubing welded together for front floor braces. In pic three you''ll see the new tin trimmed for the front floor along with new custom made gas tank and mounting the driver seat. The fourth pic shows the utility box made and mounting the passenger seat. Fifth pic shows all three assemblies welded together finally., using the jeep frame as the jig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 036.jpg   The '47 041.jpg   The '47 044.jpg   The '47 046.jpg   The '47 052.jpg  

here we go again...

Pic one is fabbing the bodysides. The hardest part is getting 18ga tin to bend tight enough for the rear corners, lol. Both body sides were made from one 4x10' sheet of tin, another full sheet was used for the inside stuff. Pic two is the completed passenger body side ready to install which you see going on in pic three. Pic four is the completed tub, all finish welded and ready for primer sealer which is shown in pic five. Time span to picture five has been four months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 056.jpg   The '47 057.jpg   The '47 058.jpg   The '47 060.jpg   The '47 068.jpg  

Last edited by jeep4752; 12-16-2008 at 08:15 PM.

can ya hack more?

In the first pic the interior of the body tub has been coated in DIY truck bedliner in a can, applied with paint roller. In pic two the new top by Best Top has been installed and final fitting of the front end has been done. The grille shown eventually gives way to a repro one. In the third and forth pics are my home made header and intake manifold. This was my first design intake, it worked ok, but i built a new one after driving the jeep for a while, turned the carb 90 degrees and split the plenum in half, major increase in torque and drivability was accomplished. Pic five shows the cleaned and painted in POR-15 '48 CJ3a frame with the AMC-20 rear end with 3:07 posi track bolted in, yes the rear end has one piece shafts too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 071.jpg   The '47 082.jpg   The '47 088.jpg   The '47 090.jpg   The '47 110.jpg  

and more pics.....

Pic one shows the completed body painted and bolted to the frame for the last time. In pic two is the motovation, a 1962 Chevy II 153 4 banger. I detailed the engine to look like it came right out of a brand new Chevy II. It is bored .040 over, has N.O.S. Jahn's pop up pistons, the wildest street cam that is made for it, steel crank, biggest valves the head can handle and some bowl work too. It has a Rochester 2bbl off a 283 on it. Oh ya, i forgot to mention it has almost 12:1 compression too! Best thing is that this engine being a 4 lunger, sounds just like a v-8 out the tailpipe!!! I estimate hp in the 200 range. Its very hairy running. Pic three shows the little wild beast going in and pics four and five show the completed detailed engine bay. You'll notice a dipstick tube for the 700R4 that was in this when i originally built it, well, thats now gone, the 4 banger is too wild, didn't like the automatic, so its now sporting an SM-420 box instead, this little bugger just loves it now! It revs reeeeeeeal good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 114.jpg   The '47 121.jpg   The '47 124.jpg   The '47 130.jpg   The '47 138.jpg  

the end....

Pic one shows my painted reproduction seat frames upholstered in new grey vinyl and pic two shows the finished dash with all new Auto Meter gauges.
    The third and forth pics are of the completed jeep road worthy at last. Pic five shows my version of what flex fuel is for this jeep only!
    Some of you may have noticed a while back that this jeep has a two wheel drive front axle in it. Yes it does. It was never my intention from day one to rebuild this as a 4x4 like it once was. I built it to drive only on the street. I'm not an off roader, the only jeep i own out of the three that will see off road is my '97 TJ, someday, lol. I have an enorous amount of $$$ tied up in the '47 and '52, yes the '52 is two wheel drive also. Its the hot rod of the two.
    So please, i ask you to do me a favour? Please don't heckle me for them being two wheelers and please no comments about mudding them, i take those as insults to my endless hours of work and dedication to rebuilding these jeeps. Thank you, i hope you enjoyed my '47 build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 135.jpg   The '47 136.jpg   The '47 140.jpg   The '47 155.jpg   The '47 157.jpg  

I just know someone is gonna ask...

The specs: 1962 ChevyII engine, 1960 SM-420 4-speed tranny, 1979 DJ5 postal jeep front axle with 11" drum brakes, 1978 CJ5 AMC-20 rear axle with 3:07 posi and one piece shafts, 1981 Malibu bell housing, Wliwood hydaulic clutch setup, 1970 CJ5 dual system master cylinder with custom bracket, 1948 CJ3a frame, 1950 Pontiac tail lights, 1955 CJ5 parking lights, 1947 reproduction CJ2a rad, Cj3a front fenders and windshield frame with tilt out vent, reproduction leaf springs and new gas shocks all around.
    If you have any questions, ask away. This is one of the two things in my life that i can say i know everything about, lol. The second being my '52 M38 which is pictured below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 150.jpg   The '47 153.jpg   IMG_0025.jpg   My 3 Jeeps together 005.jpg  

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Thats Just awesome work...
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

wow excelent job just wow!
    did it meet all your expectations?
    where did you get the speed parts? i have a 71 starcraft 18ft alm boat with the same engine that could use a few more ponys.you know thats a boat motor right?

Thanks for the compliments guys! It met alot of my expectations but there are always some bugs to work out. An on going process if you will.
    I know about the boat engine, the pic showing my header and intake is an OMC 120hp which is currently for sale on this site.
    There used to be alot of speed parts available in the '60's for the ChevyII 4 banger, cams and manifolds and even super chargers were available. I'd like to find one of those super charger kits....
    Its harder to find speed parts now for them, the boat engines you can cheat alittle bit, just go to a 181ci. There are still a few cam manufacturers making cams for them and all the old school hot rodding tricks work on these engines. Biggest thing that will wake these engines up is to let them breathe.
    I have a bone stock 153 in a tractor that my father built and my wild one, the difference in the way the two run is awesome.
    As for the speed parts in mine, the cam came from Comp Cams, the machine shop played around with the head experimenting with valve sizes to see what the biggest ones would fit and did lots of bowl work too, the pistons i bought from a guy up in Midhurst, he bought them in around 1970 and never used them, i got a spare block, pistons/ rods and lots of other goodies from him for these 4 bangers.
    Oh, i do have a solid lifter cam Mud Bros that'll wake up your boat engine!!! How about one with 640 lift. is that enough???
    Last edited by jeep4752; 12-17-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Heres a couple pics of my N.O.S. Jahn's racing pistons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The '47 145.jpg   The '47 144.jpg  

thats alot of bump on that stick when its time to rebuild it i may open up the ports and combustion chamber and put a small turbo from a swift and a tbi off a iron duke.
    i dont think a big cam would work for me as ii do a fair pit of part throtle crusing and want too keep the revs under 5000

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 20 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    you should be proud of what you accomplished as the end result looks awesome .

Thank you bruces! I am very proud of it.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 14 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 22 Secs
    amazing, just amazing man.