Thread: auto trany stuck in 2nd

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Day 13 Hrs 58 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs

auto trany stuck in 2nd

1997 dodge min van stuck in 2nd. No codes...aparently this is limp mode. The computer is reading somethings wrong but no info from the computer. Called newfie speed and sport...they told me to contact the dealer. Tranny was re-built 4000km ago. Disconected the battery and ECM fuse...tried resetting the computer...and changed filter and fluid...it has reverse and 2nd gear. Anything else I should try??? The guy that re-built the tranny is on holidays until the new year...and he's retired from dodge. Idea's???
    An offensive term for a white farm hand in the southern U.S, especially one regarded as uneducated or aggressively prejudiced...

Time Online: 8 Hrs 9 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I had an intrepid that did that. A ring broke between 3rd and 4th, then when the trans goes to shift out of 2nd, there is nothing there and the computer thinks it has gone into neutral. I'm not saying thats what is wrong for certian, but it sounds familiar.
    Also had a cavilier that did that and it turned out to be the shift soliniod.
    Seems strange that there was no code thrown though. If you can't get the computer to reset then it is just going to stay in 2nd. If you do get it reset, it will just go into "limp" again when it tries to shift to 3rd
    86 CJ-7
    98 Grand Cherokee
    01 Mustang
    Donate jeep parts here

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Day 13 Hrs 58 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    it wont try to shift it work fine got up the next day all i had was 2nd and reverse no 1st or 3rd no codes. was taking to my uncle and his seabring did this he put in a used trany did not fix it he had no codes try a used computer still did not fix it he took it to north end service center and they found a brocken wire in the wiring harness but me said it took them 2 days

Time Online: 18 Hrs 8 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    If you reset by pulling the power off at the battery, then it should have left in 1st gear again untill it shifted. Then it should return to limp. Limp is normally 3rd on dodge products. Sounds like a mechanical failure. Alot of times it's just electronic failure, but resetting the puter always gives you 1st again temporarily.
    This is my own experience though, after driving dodge products for years and having a few for work vans.