Thread: '83 Scrambler - Resto/Build

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 22 Hrs 36 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs

'83 Scrambler - Resto/Build

This is my Build/Resto of my 83 CJ-8. The jeep started out life as a fully loaded Laredo, originally owned by AMC for the first few years of its life. It was partially restored 5-10 years ago, but the body hasnít stood up to time.

Iíve have owned it for a few months now and have been slowing working at tearing it apart and collecting parts. It seems to be mechanically sound, excluding brakes. The frame is solid; I havenít been able to find any soft spots. The only major issue with it is the body, so the plan over the next few months is to concentrate on the body and have it on the road in the in the spring or summer í09 (optimistic estimate).

For the time being I plan on keeping the stock drivetrain, adding 2-3Ē of lift and a few body modís.

Below are a few pictures of it before it went under the knife.

'02 TJ - DD/Parts Runner
    '83 CJ8 - Toy/Project

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    nice rig keep the progress updated.
    check at the inside of the frame at the rear beside the tank you will find the soft spot your looking for

Grill Rehab

This is my first bit of body work. The original grill (blue) was beyond repair, I was able to find another grill (green) that was in decent condition but still need work.

I was able to get enough good metal between to two to make one rot free grill. I cut a patch panel out of the top of one and used it to replace the rusted area of the other. Its not perfect since the top has a slight curve, but I didn’t think it was worth the time making it flat.

Grill after final welding and flapped smooth.

I just have to add the Grill mount and weld up a few more holes
    Last edited by Ledhead_84; 01-02-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mud bros.1 View Post
    nice rig keep the progress updated.
    check at the inside of the frame at the rear beside the tank you will find the soft spot your looking for
    Hey Thanks..

Inside the frame beside the tank is solid as well; I dropped the gas tank earlier this week.

It has a as a nice waxy 1/4" of undercoat, makes for messy work, but its nice to have a solid frame.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 47 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs
    Nice work. Scramblers are sweeeet! I passed up one a few years back and have kicked myself since.
    84 CJ7

03 Hummer H2

Quote Originally Posted by 84cj7 View Post
    Nice work. Scramblers are sweeeet! I passed up one a few years back and have kicked myself since.
    Hey Thanks,

I took at look at your post on your build...glad to see Iím not the only insane person attempting this big of a project in a single car garage.

Quick update of my slow progress. I decided to tackle a few of the smaller things for practice before I start hacking up the body.

Heres the grill finished up, just needs to be cleaned up and primed.

This week Iíve been working on making a set of half doors. My full doors were in rough shape so I took the sawzall to them.

I relocated the outside handle and lock cylinder to the inside of the door, so the outside will be nice and clean. This way you can reach over and lock the doors so they donít walk off.

New door skin with some beads rolled into it.

Next step is to work on boxing the top of the door in. then make another panel for the inside of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledhead_84 View Post
    so the plan over the next few months is to concentrate on the body and have it on the road in the in the spring or summer í09 (optimistic estimate).
    [/IMG]
    So that plan is out the window.

New plan! Frame off, scrap the body and start fresh. Goal is have it on the road by the end of May next year.

The more I tore it apart the more scared I got. The roll bar was being held on with grade 0 bolts half of which were not even tight, the rest of the body was being held together with silicone, bondo and hope. I took the sawzall to it this weekend, kept the firewall, bulkhead and bedrails everything else when to scrap.

Next step is to pull the drive train, clean up the ľĒ of undercoating on the frame, hit it with the wire wheel make sure everything is solid then give it a coat of por 15.

Time Online: 1 Day 15 Hrs 30 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Secs

Body

I also looked at buying this jeep, live close to previous owner. Was following your thread and admiring your courage for fixing that body. It was really rough, just curios what your plans are for a replacement? Good luck, I can't wait to see your progress over the coming months. Cheers, Mike.

Time Online: 3 Days 12 Hrs 32 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Secs
    Here is some encouragement.. This is my original 82 SLR Laredo with auto trans. I got lucky body is very good condition original floors, only hole is below the Jeep stamp on the front body section drvrs side. I will be doing a frame off on it some day, including original decals. It will stay stock. Untill then it sleeps in my shop..beside the wheelin CJ7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep 8.JPG  
    82 Scrambler SLR Stock and staying that way..
    84 CJ7 - Wheelin rig
    91 YJ - Plow Heep
    87 YJ - 4 Sale

Quote Originally Posted by bigmama View Post
    I also looked at buying this jeep, live close to previous owner. Was following your thread and admiring your courage for fixing that body. It was really rough, just curios what your plans are for a replacement? Good luck, I can't wait to see your progress over the coming months. Cheers, Mike.
    My original plan was to patch up the body and put it on the road for the summer as is, and then I decided not to waste my time.

As for a replacement I have a few ideas.

1. try to find a original tub. Go on a road trip and get one from the states.($500-1000)
    2. Get a decent YJ or Cj7 tub and stretch it ($???)
    3. Pay for a steel or aluminum replacement ($3500-$4500)
    4. Give up and get a glass tub. ($1500-$3000)

I got more time then money and I’m not in too big of a rush so I’ve been thinking about option 2 a lot lately. Once I get frame cleaned up etc before I’m ready to start messing around with a tub

IGP, your lucky nothing like a nice clean stock Scrambler. I haven’t decided if im going to keep it stock or make a few changes to piss off all the Scrambler purists out there…that will depend on what I do for the tub.

Been a few months since i last updated,

I've had a bit of progress over that last few weeks on the frame. The body mounts on the frame were a little rusted out so I burned in some new steel. The cross member needed to be replaces so I made a new out of some 2x3 tube one that will act as both the cross member and rear bumper.

I am hoping to have the frame done and painted in the next two weeks then I will be moving on to the body.

Last edited by Ledhead_84; 06-30-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: more Pictures