Thread: mudflap legalities

Time Online: 5 Days 9 Hrs 33 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs

mudflap legalities

Does anyone know if mudflaps are a mandatory thing? I got a $110 ticket on the weekend. The officer said because my tires stick out further than stock that I must use mudflaps. First I've ever heard of this, and I've driven trucks with way larger tires sticking out?

I've got the stock bumpers on my cherokee, I wouldn't even be able to affix mudflaps if I wanted to? I'm searching the ministry website, but thought it useful to post here in the event anyone had had experience with this before?

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 5 Secs
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Time Online: 5 Days 9 Hrs 33 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MayhemInc View Post

saweeet thank ya

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Stick mudflaps on it, take a picture and fight it in court. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but you could ask for a break.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Day 6 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    I would think if you got a ticket for it, then its against the law?
    "Barrie SWAMPER"
    "Mud Dawgs of North Hastings County"
    SYL81
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BF72BBC6CD345E
    Eating dirt sucks, so being a dirt eater is likely a waste of time.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 3 Hrs 23 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 54 Secs
    man up, pay the fine and get some mud flaps on the truck instead of beating a dead horse...
    As Mayhem said, its been spoken of enough and its a cheap and simple issue to rectify. If you get it fixed quickly, you can go to the judge and plead guilty with an explanation, stating that you have fixed the issue with the truck and have pictures to back it up...

There are bumpers on everything I own, and anything thats modified to run offroad has mud flaps where required....

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 4 Hrs 45 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 47 Secs
    on the ticket, did he quote the HTA section, to look up the wording of the law he says you broke? I dont remember seeing any law that mandates flaps when tires stick out from the fender any specific distence, just that spray thrown up by the tires be significantly reduced. You could try to argue that if, say, 75% of your tire is still covered by the stock fender, that 75% can be interpreted as a significant reduction of spray still. in the end, probably less hassle in the future to just install some flaps to make the police happy.. maybe make them removable for when they are not needed

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Dynno expanded on my original thought. If you fix it and get to the courthouse, you can fight the ticket on reasonable grounds. I would argue;

Heavy trucks do not have the tops of their tires covered, so 25% of their tires are exposed. I have less than 25% exposed, but the officer saw fit to issue a ticket. Would a repair citation not be more fitting for this situation? Clearly I am not intentionally breaking a law, and I have already complied with the officers objection by installing large flaps. What I'm asking for is leinency. It is unfair for a common citizen to be fined for what is easily mistaken for common practice.

Time Online: 3 Days 8 Hrs 19 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    been to court over this myself. it is a very grey area law. you can drive with no flaps at all and full tires exposed but then it is considered a "fair weather" vehicial ie sand rails hot rods etc! so if you try to fight this the roads better be dry and free of rain and or snow! if these conditions dont apply to your driving habbits put flaps on the old girl.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 38 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 59 Secs
    or bigger fenders to cover the 25% sticking out
    Jeeps, Bitches and Guns... Nuf Said