Thread: I am going to need a new DD in the spring, opinions?

Time Online: 22 Hrs 24 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

I am going to need a new DD in the spring, opinions?

Well my 94 Camry is almost done, lets just say no more money is going into it, been a great car but at 340,000kms, it is the end of the road for this one.

I have been thinking of two different vehicles, I know neither are Jeep but I have my YJ as a toy and Toyotas are bullet proof.

2000-2002 4Runner
    or
    2000-2002 Tacoma

I want the 5000lbs towing so I can flat tow my soft top of no top Jeep into Camp and wheel it.

Any options on these, the 4Runners are less expensive and the 3.4L V6 is not bad. I will be hauling bikes and quads but not regularely, that will be more of a long weekend thing.

Does it make sense to get a 4Runner and a trailer, about the same cost as a Tacoma that way but lots of room to lock stuff up and store things out of the rain.

Oh, I have no kids and do not plan on it, so I am not looking for a family vehicle.

How easy are these to lift, I would want to upgrade the tires and better then stance right off the bat as they are too low for me and I do not want a soccer mom mobile.

Thanks, I know it is not a Jeep but I have seen a lot of Toy guys on here.
    Rod

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 10 Hrs 16 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    If you are going to flat tow you want more vehicle than either of those. I have flat towed with a liberty which has a rating at 5 or 6000lbs and it was NOT fun. My YJ that was in stock form at the time pushed the libby around a lot and it was hard on it starting and stopping. It could do it, but the libby didnt like it. I use my V8 F150 to flat tow now and wouldn't go with anything less then that (rated for 8500lbs I believe) but it has longer wheelbase, wider and heavier.

Time Online: 1 Day 14 Hrs 17 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    i would go with the taco personally
    PIT BOYZ - PB4L OF4WD # 4898 www.of4wd.com
    WHEN IN DOUBT... GO FULL OUT!
    1985 K1500. SBC, 700r4, 44 front, 14b rear 4:56 40" TSL's
    Drinks Well With Others!... WELL WITH MOST!
    PB4L

I saw a bunch of XJs and other SUVs flat towing before, the 4Runner has a longer wheelbase than that and the brakes on Toys are huge. The Liberty according to the stuff I just looked at was listed at 2000lbs towing.

How much did it toss you around?
    I cannot justify a V8 or a big truck, no room to park it and used as a DD I would be toast, I will be driving a minimum of 30 minutes to and from work daily if everything works out right.

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 5 Mins 14 Secs
    I know Nissans aren't popular around here but I've had my Frontier for over 4 years and haven't had any issues with it ever. Same 5000lbs towing capacity. I'd recommend checking it out as well.
    http://webstyles.ca/JeepKings/Indepe...d-Sig-Line.jpg

2004 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4 Crew Cab
    3.3L V6
    32" BFG M/T
    Cobra 29 NW ST

Did you buy it new?
    I was thinking about them but again my family has had a lot of toys and you cannot break them, so that is why I am leaning heavily that way.

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 5 Mins 14 Secs
    I can understand that, I'm also a big fan of both Tacomas and 4 Runners.

Yes I bought it new. It came down to the Frontier or the Tacoma. There wasn't much seperating them; about the same size, about the same power, about the same load and towing capacity, reliability seemed about the same. There were a few minor differences that I can't remember at the moment but nothing significant. The Frontier for whatever reason just wasn't as popular and was a few grand cheaper than the Tacoma. I saw no reason to spend the extra money so I went with the Frontier.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    You definitely want something long, stable, a bit heavier, and good brakes if your'e gonna flat tow.

When you talk about cars, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pay more for Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda. More reliable, better value, better resale. But when it comes to trucks, I'm having some doubts. When I compare purchase price, insurance, replacement parts, and resale, the GM trucks actually come out ahead. Ford was second, and the Dodges weren't worth considering. Not to sway from Yotas, But it might be worth considering. The fuel economy is going to depend on your driving and towing habits.

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    If the truck is rated to tow 5000 lbs that would be with trailer brakes. Flat-towing a 4000 lb vehicle behind a 4000 lb vehicle is bad news. It'd be a much easier and safer tow on a trailer with brakes. Not to mention on a trailer you're saving the YJ a lot of wear & tear (tires, gears, suspension) and if you kill the Jeep (tie rod, leaf spring, diff, etc.), you can still get it home.

For fuel economy comparison, check out http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm . While larger engines generally burn more gas, they also generally burn less gas while towing. Again, not to sway too far from Toyota, I'll just mention that my 4.7L WJ gets 23-25 mpg on the highway, fits in all driveways, and is rated to tow 6500 lbs. Not long ago I trailer another WJ behind this WJ (6000 lb. load) from Oakville to Sudbury at 90 km/h and it averaged around 17 mpg.

LC.
    So I installed the flux capacitor but the Jeep just won't do 88 mph.

- '97 TJ, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance

- '99 WJ Limited 4.7, 2" RC BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    ...I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pay more for...Mazda...

Would you pay more for a B-Series than a Ranger?

LC.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoCoco View Post
    Would you pay more for a B-Series than a Ranger?

LC.
    Taking things out of context earns you one of these , smart ass

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 4 Hrs 3 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 40 Secs
    Just put your jeep on the road Rodney! Then you don't need a DD or have to flat tow.

The Jeep is on the road, ha ha, thanks Josh.

The YJ being a DD is not my ideal at all, 6 and 12 hour drives in that thing may make me go insane.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    I absolutely LOVE 4Runners. The 3rd Gen is far better than the 2nd gen in all respects (ride, engine, OBD, drivetrain).

With Runners, you have to be careful of rust. Door seams (near the weatherstripping) are the first spot. Stone chips around the windshield too, on high-milers. Brakes are good (I flat-towed my '91 behind my '95, and the brakes are very similar 95-2000). I ran into a few 3rd Gen's with rotted tranny coolers INSIDE the rad, flooding the transmission with coolant. I recommend moving the cooler to an external unit (better for towing, anyway!). None needed new transmissions. I pumped ~40L of ATF through them and changed the filters, all good. Mileage is a bit rough; 375-425 per tank, 50L. And the leather can crack if not taken care of - like any vehicle but both mine were cracked when bought so eye's open. There's a few different trim levels in the 3'rd gens, some with a transfer case that allowed full-time 4wd, with the option to lock the center diff, and seperately lock the rear diff. All 3rd Gen's up to (IIRC) 2001 have locking rear diffs. After that Toyota started using active wheel speed sensors, accurate to 3mph, and electronic wizardry to control wheelspin w/the ABS pump. It actually works quite well!

The 4th gen, 2002 I believe, is a whole different truck. The chassis is 4" lower, and a V8 became an option (4.0). Higher towing capacity, and a cross-react suspension that reduces body roll by about 60% through on-ramps. Oddly enough the traction control system is even better, and a decent assist controller was added. Press brakes, push a button, release - vehicle will slow itself to 4 mph, independantly controlling each wheel's brake to prevent lockup.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.