Thread: chev. door pins

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 17 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 41 Secs

chev. door pins

2003 Chev. Silverado. Top drivers side door pin requires replacing. It is a 2-pin set-up per hinge. I'm familiar with replacing the single pin set-up (meaning hammer it till it comes out) but so far nothing is budging with current door. Googled for info and it says to remove door. Is this really necessary if door is supported? I think I'm being to timid with the hammer in my old age.
    Anyone change one of these before and can give me some tips?
    Thanks

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 27 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    I havent done a set of pins on a chev like yours,but is there any way you can get a zip gun onto the pin ?

Nope-no go. AND the door pins cost me $45.WOW. I thought my jeep was money hungry

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 22 Hrs 59 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    those doors come off in about 4 minutes. there simple. the wiring harness has a plug just inside the pillar, if you pull the rubber sleeve back you can get in. then the door comes of with one pin from each hinge. make sure you get the clip off the pin, they usually fall out then. just look to see wich pin actually holds the door on. i've done probably 20-30 of these trucks doors. with the door off you can get the brass sleeve out no problem.

if you were closer i would give you a hand. they're simple as pie one youve done a few.

stu
    '99 superduty, 7.3L diesel. 4x4, ex cab short box. edge evolution programmer. straight pipe, torque converter lock up switch. single 7" stack, built tranny with some billet bits inside, 7' trac bars, pyro,boost an tranny guages. 4" lift in the front 5" rear. 305 70 16 mickey thompson baja mtz's on m/t classic 2's. now with dana 60 front, 10.5" rear 3:7.3's. 5" airlift bags in the rear.

2002 polaris pro-x 440 with 2004 600 motor. walker evans remotes all the way around.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 19 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    after you pull the harness like 89xj said, then you unbolt the 10mm from both door hinges (facing you) then the door lifts up and out, you then can grind off the old pins, A company called worth sells aftermarket pins and bushings for about $20, they bolt on. you can set the preload for the door that way as well, ive done lots of them.

Time Online: 15 Hrs 6 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Dorman sells new pins for about 8 bux, take the door right off makes it much easier, But, if they haven't been replaced once already it is just a c-clip holding the pin in place. They are really easy to do.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 19 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    right from the gm service manual

"Remove the door.
    Remove the hinge pins from the hinge by grinding the bottom end of the pin off and driving out the remainder of the pin using a hammer and punch.
    Remove the old bushings from the hinges.
    Install the hinge pin bushings (1) into the hinges.
    Install the shorter hinge pin (3) into the bottom hole in the hinge.
    Install the washer supplied in the kit and a standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut onto the replacement hinge pin.
    Tap the shorter hinge pin (3) into the hinge as far as it will go.
    Tighten the 5/16 inch x 18 nut with a hand wrench, drawing the hinge pin into the hinge until the pin is fully seated.
    Replace the standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut with the lock nut supplied in the kit and finger tighten.
    Install the longer hinge pin (2) into the top hole in the hinge.
    Install the washer supplied in the kit and a standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut onto the replacement hinge pin.
    Tap the longer hinge pin (2) into the hinge as far as it will go.
    Tighten the 5/16 inch x 18 nut with a hand wrench, drawing the hinge pin into the hinge until the pin is fully seated.
    Replace the standard 5/16 inch x 18 nut with the lock nut supplied in the kit and finger tighten.
    Tighten the lock nuts. "
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1971916.gif  

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 22 Hrs 59 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh ya. i forgot about the ten mm bolt lol. my bad sorry if i mislead you

Mission accomplished-Thanks