Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optima Batteries.

Time Online: 21 Hrs 40 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Optima Batteries.

My 1997 Jetta TDI hates the super cold weather. It came with a new Alternator and Interstate battery this summer so I'm a little disappointed when I go out in the mornings and need a neighbour to give me a boost to get it started. I know diesels are a pain in the ass when its -20 but it shouldn't suck the battery down so low that it resets the clock to 12:00

My 1999 Jetta TDI that was stolen had an AC Delco battery in it and I never had a problem with the cold. It could be that the Interstate is a dud. I'm going to try and go back to the shop that installed the Interstate and see if they are willing to do an exchange. If not I'm curious about the Optima Batteries. I have seen threads on here about them in the past but can't find anything now. I think the Red Top would provide the most cold cranking amps for the diesel.

Is there anywhere close to Downtown Toronto that sells them for a decent price? Iíll still check out the AC Delco because I can get them wholesale but think I would prefer an Optima for the right price.
    Sold the YJ, but dumb enough to dream about getting an XJ.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    costco or walmart for the optima.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    got my yellowtop from walmart
    love my 2.5

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 9 Secs
    The red top is what you'll want for starting the diesel, it's designed to have the lowest internal resistance, allowing for the maximum quick current flow for cranking.
    You never truly know your limits until you exceed them....

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    my 99 xj is realll sluggish when i start her in the mourning...how much do these optimas usually go for??
    No fingers, no toes, she doesn't own elbows,
    No phalanges no knobby knees to knock.
    She don't need knuckles or hands to go see punk rock bands, She's always in the stands, she's nubs

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 9 Secs
    You can pick them up at most performance or car audio shops for around $180-$220, Costco and Walmart occasionally sell them too. Dunham, if it's for your jeep you may want to look at the deep cycle yellow tops, the red tops are not warranted for deep cycle use. There is also a few blue top marine batteries out there, but make sure you check the model number as only some of those are deep cycle, the others are are intended forcranking applications.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 50 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    I have had great luck with my CT spiral battery, Eliminator. Had it for 18 months and fried it with a mishap of my own doing, don't ask, took it back and got a brand new one, no questions asked. Never had a problem with it with cold starting, now with dual batts my second batt is a large Intersate, it takes care of all the accessories while the Eliminator stays in the cargo area for starting only. I have never had a problem.
    It can be mounted sideways and takes lots of vibrations. I think it was only around $180, optima have a good name but I can speak to the CT version with full confidence.
    Bring back the Cherokee http://www.petitiononline.com/Cherokee/petition.html

say what you want about my wife, leave my jeeps out of it.
    93 HO, 4.5" skyjacker lift, taurus fan, H4 lights, champion 8000lbs winch, custom home made front bumper, rear hitch, 136 amp alternator, 5-90's full mains set replacement with main fuse. High idle on switch, rear cargo area full extension drawer cabinet. Dual Batteries, Sanden oba and removable doors.V8 ZJ tie rod replacement with OTK insert.

Time Online: 1 Day 53 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs

Batt

I paid $250 for an optima yellow top from a performance shop a couple of months ago and then found the same one at Costco for like $190 a week later. It pays to do your research.....or should I say saves YOU.
    __________________________________________________ _
    04' Nissan Frontier, 3"body lift, 31 BFG A/T, intake, TB spacer, gibson exhaust
    83' Suzuki SJ410V, Igniton, CRX seats lots more to come!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Samurai - Small Automobile Makes Urinals Really Appear Immense

Time Online: 8 Hrs 53 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Buy your Optima's through an audio or performance shop the Optima's from Walmart are lower quality ones hence the savings.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboydale View Post
    Buy your Optima's through an audio or performance shop the Optima's from Walmart are lower quality ones hence the savings.
    This is true. I had a blue top I bought 12 years ago and paid about $300 for it. Still going. Bought a red top from Costco and got 7 months. Returned it to costco and I upgraded to a blue top. Its been faithful for the past 3 years.

I am a believer in the blue tops, never had any trouble with them. My first spent the whole winter dead in my old CJ. I charged it up and I used it for 12 more years and 3 years ago I gave it to my dad to use in his boat. (15 years and still going strong.) Try doing this with a lead-acid battery. Just my $0.02...

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 39 Secs
    i bought a red top optima for my jimmy 3 years ago, and it worked great right up until i pulled the motor.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    i would also check out the draw from the starter with an ammeter.
    a good starter rebuilder will be able to tell you the specs on that.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 19 Secs
    mt toyota diesel only never started twice on first crank this summer. i let it glow 20-25 seconds tilll i hear the glow relay kick off.. i use 0 w40 rotella in the winter..
    it has stock dual ac/delcos.. i also have the spiral cell and the next step down ct battery and they have been pretty good.
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

Time Online: 4 Hrs 5 Mins 9 Secs
    are you watching the glow plug light? something very easy to forget.
    also i have heard a ton of people swearing to never buy optima batteries again for their daily drivers because they do not work well in the cold.
    [RIGHT]35X12.5R17" DC MUD COUNTRY'z / 6" HELLAS / FLOWMASTER 40 SI/DO / SuperChips 91 tune / COLD AIR INTAKE / 3.92 ANTI-SPIN / TAYLOR WIRES / POWERAID TB SPACER / TRANSGO SHIFT KIT / 12" SOLOBARICS / CUSTOM HOMEBREW FIBERGLASS'D BOX / LoRider CARPETED TONNEAU

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Optima batteries left flat in the cold for only a few hours will be toast.

I went through 2 of them that way... I know leaving any car battery flat is bad for it -- but most of them can take it once in awhile - the optima's never seem to be able to handle it.

I started using the Exide spiril cell's and i've never had a problem since.

i just took my red top out of my shed last week after well over a year. unsure of the charge, (i needed a battery for my car badly) i took it out of my garden shed, threw it in, and it fired up no problem. going on 3 years old now.

Time Online: 4 Hrs 5 Mins 9 Secs
    if you have an older optima they seem to hold up to the temps alot better than anything made within the last 2 years.

i wanted to pick up a new battery for my truck, but i have heard nothing but bad things about the optima's in cold weather.

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Hrs 23 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    I started using the Exide spiril cell's and i've never had a problem since.[/QUOTE]

i have to agree with gridlock here, there are several makers of 'sprial wound' batteries that work as well as the high priced Optima. got mine at Parts Source

thats good to know! if i get this YJ build finished before i'm old and grey, its gonna need a new battery.
    Last edited by KillBilly; 06-21-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 55 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    I had an Optima Yellow top for 7 years and passed it onto 3 different vehicles... I'd say they work...