Thread: P-Brake Questions

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs

P-Brake Questions

With the disc conversion on my rear axle, the current calipers have no provision for a Parking Brake.

I was looking onto a manual Line lock (press in brakes, press in knob to lock, pull to release, not electric) would this qualify as a parking brake if the officials got picky? I have no problem swapping different caliper for cable style, just for front digs cable never clamp quite as tight and this is easier/cheaper.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I went through all this... Has to be mechanically operated and not a hydro system. Thats why I have a disk and mechanical caliper on the back of my Dana 300. You can try the caddy calipers.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Time Online: 9 Mths 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 18 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 57 Secs
    No, a line lock installed inline with your current braking system will not meet the requirements of an emergency brake to the officials...

But they are great for doing rear burnouts with big tires...lol

Thanks Sean. I didn't think so, just one provider mentioned "P-Brake" in their uses.
    + burnouts on 39's will get to expensive for what my salary is!!!

Any one know of a good cable actuated e-brake caliper. most trucks use an internal drum right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post
    I went through all this... Has to be mechanically operated and not a hydro system. Thats why I have a disk and mechanical caliper on the back of my Dana 300. You can try the caddy calipers.

Not exactly true, your parking ( emergency) braking system does not need to be mechanical. It just needs to be a seperate system from your primary braking system. If you run a spool ( locking 2 tires together) and install a T-case brake, pinion brake, etc, you will fill the requirements of the law.

Brakes

Brakes, two systems required

64. (1) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, when driven on a highway shall be equipped with at least two braking systems, each with a separate means of application and effective on at least two wheels, one of which shall be adequate to stop the vehicle as required by regulations made by the Ministry and the other of which shall be adequate to hold the vehicle stationary. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 64 (1).

Ya I thought of a Driveline brake, but there is no economical way of doing it. The funds for this build have diminish especially when I bought the Small block that wont see use for at least 8months to a year.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 4 Hrs 45 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 48 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsjeep View Post
    Not exactly true, your parking ( emergency) braking system does not need to be mechanical. It just needs to be a seperate system from your primary braking system.

So you would need a separate master cylinder and lines, and tee into the caliper somehow, should you use a hydraulic system for your e-brake?

No, you can not Tee into anything, it needs to be two completely seperate systems, including the calipers.

With most rear disc brakes systems on fabbed up axles, D60 for instance, adding an extra caliper would be easy enough, not likely worth the work and expense, but the Caddy calipers are not big enough for some applications such as my rig and another method needs to be used.

just curious how it would work. I know the caddy calipers, and late model mustang calipers use cables to actuate the ebrake.. (not a separate drum brake in the rotor) .. so the same pads that are engaged for service brakes, are used for ebrake.. just actuated hydraulicly or mechanically respectfully.
    was just curious at what point the mto would consider it to be two separate systems.

Ok, I got your question now, I would assume that two systems both capable of applying pressure to the friction material, based on what we know is currently in use today on factory braking systems.

Good point though, They do not specify at what point the braking system ends.

Is it the caliper, the brake pad, the rotor, caliper mounting bracket???

Just another area up for interpretation!!!! LOL

yeah.. im just a curious bugger. it would be way easier and all to just put together a cable op. system.. but makes some good discussion on the possibilities, limitations

All honda/acura rear discs are setup with a cable actuated caliper. I was thinking of using some NSX/Legend calipers but they are getting hard to find for cheap.