Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jeep liberty?s

Time Online: 5 Days 11 Hrs 21 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs

jeep liberty?s

so my wife and i are looking to give up the honda civic after 9 years beena great car cost me next to nothing and dirt cheap on gas however with 2 growing boys and the seeming ever increasing amout of snow on the ground in the winter we decided to move towards an suv( please donot suggest a minivan ) we were looking at suzuki vitaras and chev trackers but there is no room in the back seat of the zuk and the trackers are just ugly then we found the liberty tons of space in it and we liked everything about it my question is what should i be looking for with this vehical what are the problem i know the 3.7n is fairly new the body is in good shape its an 03 and the km are just over 100g so what do i look for?
    if it aint broke... i dont own it!

I got yer jeep thing.......now it hurts when i pee......

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Big gas pig for the size of vehicle and all the front end parts last less than 50,000 km. My V8 Dakota got better fuel mileage. There are better options in that price range.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

like what?

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 21 Hrs 29 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 55 Secs
    Me, personally, i'd look for a 99-01 XJ. That's just me, especially if you want longievity like you had with your civic. Not that there's anything "wrong" with the Liberty, but i'd consider it more along the lines of a "keep it for a few years under warranty then off-load it" kind of vehicle. Just overall a little more expensive to maintain in the long run i'm sure with all the IFS components etc.

wife dosent like them that much and personally im not selling a 2000 vehical to go older were trying to get a price match or as close as possiblewe should get aroud 7g for the carits a coupe with rediculously low k and were trying keep fuel mileage reasonable

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Civic milage is not going to happen in anything else but Toyota! The Liberty will be 3x worse and I'm not bull shitting! The motor and tranny are fine bit the back seat as really small, the ball joints and wheel bearings are almost an anual thing.

any opions on the landrover freeloader(lol) or the nissan Xterra...i found the back seat in the liberty to be comparable to my dakota but im getting really tired of lifting my 5yr old into the back seat and he can barely make the climb....lol

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 5 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    I like 9-T-1's suggestion of an XJ, however, I had an XJ and if one of your problems is rear seat space, you gain nothing by going to an XJ from a Civic. The civic probably has more rear seat space.

If I were you, I'd go look at either a 4runner or an Xterra. For the price, the Xterra will likely be easier to find than the 4runner. Both will give you about the same amount of interior space, both will beat any winter conditions you'll get in Ontario. My truck get's about the same fuel mileage as my XJ did and I think the Xterra would be even better.

That's my $0.02.
    http://webstyles.ca/JeepKings/Indepe...d-Sig-Line.jpg

2004 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4 Crew Cab
    3.3L V6
    32" BFG M/T
    Cobra 29 NW ST

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    any opions on the landrover freeloader(lol)...

British junk and parts are very expensive.

Anything Nissan seems to be quite decent from the reviews I've read (I was in the market for an SUV not long ago so researched them all).

If you're trying to stay near $7K, you're not going to get much of a 4Runner or Xterra. They hold their value for a while. So, for something newer than 2000 at around $7K I think you'll mostly be finding domestics. That said, take a peek at the '01-'04 Grand Cherokees. A little harder on gas than the Liberty, but you're getting twice the vehicle, with a lot more rear seat room. Best of all you won't have to say, "I drive a Jeep Liberty".

LC.
    So I installed the flux capacitor but the Jeep just won't do 88 mph.

- '97 TJ, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance

- '99 WJ Limited 4.7, 2" RC BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess

Best of all you won't have to say, "I drive a Jeep Liberty".

yeah but it would still be a jeep

Time Online: 6 Days 6 Hrs 39 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    I have an '02 liberty and its not so good on gas but its better than a stock TJ rubicon.
    I would suggest getting select track (full time 4wd) instead of command track (part time 4wd) especially if your wife and kids will be using it often. Select track T/C has both full time and part time options so you can "select" what you want. If your wife is like my wife she might not fully understand when to switch in and out of part time 4wd or if your like me simply forget untill you feel it binding or your sliding\slipping. It would be nice to leave it in 4wd and forget about it for days.

Factory tow package could be handy, its rated for 5000lbs (i believe) and some models didn't come with ABS. Then there are bonus stuff like sun roofs etc.

If you are worried about gas mileage try this link it lets you compare multiply cars side by side: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm I think Jeep tweaked liberties to make them more fuel efficient after '02 models. You could compare an '03 vs '02,04 & 05.

If you are going from a civic to a liberty your probably going to surprised how much gas you'll be buying.

The only problems i've had with my liberty are the AC compressor clutch pack died (compressor itself was OK) and the battery started to die. Its almost 200k and i've had it since 80k.
    2013 JK Wrangler
    2003 TJ Rubicon [SOLD]
    2002 KJ Sport [RIP]
    OF4WD #5542

mugsy is offline Mugsy the Animal Steel-Moderator
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 7 Hrs 55 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 59 Secs
    buy a grand cherokee jeff, and get a 4L, 04's are around 6-8 grand
    my wife (RIP) hated my jeep too so i ran her over with it and now we are both happier (me and the jeep)

RETREAD #13

04 Wrangler, 4" lift and 33's

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 5 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post

yeah but it would still be a jeep
    Yeah, sort of.

This, officially, is also a Jeep, yet I don't think many of us on here would buy one.

If you want something you can wheel, I'd still go with the Xterra. Way tougher than the liberty. Or a Grand Cherokee if you're less concerned with mileage.

been thinking about the grand cherokee there nice looking and i will need something to pull small trailor or my atv...lots to consider though we found an 03 liberty with just over 100k with the rocky mountain package....

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by mugsy View Post
    buy a grand cherokee jeff, and get a 4L...

4.0s work well in TJs & XJs, but they have a hard time moving around ZJ/WJs. Just not enough oomph for a 4000 lb dry weight vehicle. Besides, there's literally only a 1 mpg city and 1 mpg highway difference between the 4.0 and 4.7. While towing, the V8s are actually better on fuel. Anybody who's owned both (myself included) will never say they preferred the 4.0.

LC.

Hey mugsy wanna buy a honda civic....lol

Time Online: 20 Hrs 53 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    I'm not trying to bring this thread back to life... but what did you go with?

I almost bought a '99 pathfinder for $4000 cert.
    then found a '99 xj for $2400 cert...

I have a '05 civic and an '08 mazda 5..

have you considered keeping the civic AND buying the XJ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ArmoredFilms.com
    Paint protection film & tint

we havent done anything yet we dont want to keep the civic i cant afford the insurance on 3 vehicals plus all the toys wife dont like the mazdas and i hate fords..lol

Time Online: 3 Hrs 19 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Liberty

We had a Liberty. It was good when the kids were small. (room in back is limited) Pulled my bass boat to Tennessee and back with good economy. Better than alot of SUV's on fuel economy. (unless you're a lead foot!) Used it on my wood lot , but it wasn't even close to my YJ for off roading. Back brakes were gone at 28000 km and dealer wouldn't help out. Overall not bad -

Randy

well we have no intetions of offroading it its just a daily comuter for the wife and we need more room for the kids obviously fuel economy is out the window compared to the civic in fact it should last us 5 to 10 years given my wifes driving habits.. how ever i doubt the jeep we were looking at is still there but we liked it ...it was the 2 tone rocky mountain edition with all the goodies