Thread: XJ Front Brake Overhaul & Rear Brake Upgrade

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

XJ Front Brake Overhaul & Rear Brake Upgrade

Been gathering parts and materials the past couple weeks for a brake overhaul and upgrade

*All this info is based on my `96 Cherokee Sport*

Reason:
    All of my brakes are in need of repair, instead of band aid fixing them, I'm gonna start with a clean slate. Maybe I'm going over the top but IMO safety isn't something to cheap out on

This is what I've got together so far...

Resources & References:
    1996 Jeep Cherokee Factory Service Manual
    Factory service manuals can be ordered by calling Chrysler Canada Inc. You'll find a number through the link
    If your like me, I like things delivered to my front door without signature because I'm not around during the day, make sure you specify "No Signature Required" when ordering

Jeep Cherokee Builders Guide 1984-2001
    An excellent book with an article on the rear disc brake upgrade

Haynes Jeep Cherokee Repair Manual
    Chilton Jeep Cherokee Repair Manual

1994-1996 Jeep Parts Catalogue

Teraflex Rear Disc Brake Kit Instructions

Front Brakes

My front brakes are dragging and I can just make it the short distance to work before I can really feel the resistance when driving. It really depends on how many times I have to apply brakes when driving. They start out no prob after sitting for a while (like overnight) but once I start using them they're slow to release

New calipers through Part Source
    1x Premium Semi-Loaded Brake Caliper (Left Side) Part # SLC336
    1x Premium Semi-Loaded Brake Caliper (Right Side) Part # SLC337
    The new calipers come semi-loaded so you don't need to worry about new caliper bolts, and seal washers, but you will need new banjo bolts if you want to start fresh

2x Caliper Banjo Bolt Jeep Parts Cat # J400 6700

I'm upgrading my brake hoses to braided stainless steel lines at the same time. I used Crowns BSS brake lines Because you can order them stock length, +4 inches over stock, or +6 inches over stock, you can also choose what colour you want them to be I went with +4 & red

When looking at the brake lines where they change from hard to soft I have a bad feeling that existing hard line is gonna brake when unthreading the fitting . It looks corroded through, and since my rear line already leaked for the same reason I'm also going to cut in a new line on both sides.

3ft 3/16 Steel tube brake line
    6x Fittings

1x PB Blaster
    1x Brake Fluid DOT3
    1x Brake Cleaner

Non-Basic Tools:
    6" C-CLamp
    Vacuum Bleeder (On sale at Princess Auto Jan 27, 2009)
    Flaring Tool <-- I didn't have much luck with Powerbuilts Flaring tool from CT so I'm on the lookout for a better one (Here's a good link on flaring brake lines)
    Brakeline bender (Not worth it IMO)

Question::confused:
    Some other places I have read that people run their disc brakes without the backing plate to allow for easier cleaning after wheelin' and to save themselves from the annoying sound when a stone gets stuck. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I'll type up the rear disc conversion another time
    "I go to parties sometimes until 4:00, it's hard to leave when I can't find the door"

thunderbox is the wooden box you shit in when you go camping, so really it's a shit box, now you know my cherokee

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 10 Secs
    backing plates suck! they are easier to clean, but mostly they rust out and drag. I usually forget to put them back on.
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy YJ View Post
    backing plates suck! they are easier to clean, but mostly they rust out and drag. I usually forget to put them back on.
    sweet that's what I wanted to hear! my existing plates look to be in pretty shitty condition. Now if I only didn't have to buy them with the rear disc conversion kit

i think you can swap out all the disk brake parts for the rear from a grand cherokee.
    they have bolth d44 and d35 with disks

Quote Originally Posted by mud bros.1 View Post
    i think you can swap out all the disk brake parts for the rear from a grand cherokee.
    they have bolth d44 and d35 with disks
    Darn, I got the chrysler 8.25, but I think I read somewhere all you have to do is cut hole out bigger for it to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbox View Post
    Darn, I got the chrysler 8.25, but I think I read somewhere all you have to do is cut hole out bigger for it to fit.
    you will have to bring your tape mesure to my shop im doing a disk swap on a d35 next week.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    grab the rear disc parts off a ZJ D35, grab your die grinder and make a few rounds on the inside of the backing plate. Bolt them upto your 8.25 and voila, rear discs. Simplified, but a google search will give ya some easy answers on the swap.

backing plates were gone first chance I got on mine.
    insert something witty here

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 20 Secs
    If you want "bolt on" parts for the 8.25 axle, find a liberty as it is a 8.25 with discs in the rear.
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Kit Options:
    1.Tera Flex Kit
    I like that Teraflex makes their installation instructions available on the internet. Because of this I was able to read about the rim clearance issue with my stock jeep rims, possible stud length issues, and that the kit isn't a true bolt on kit, some welding is required. Being able to to know all of this ahead of time has probably saved me from a lot of grief. Their customer support was quick too, I emailed them about the stock jeep rim clearance and they told me that if I get new 15" rims I'll want a backspace of less then 4.5 inches

2.Crown's Kit
    I've kinda come to dislike Crown, they don't allow direct customer support and any inquires have to be done through a dealer. I couldn't even find the kit on their website and when I asked a dealer to inquire if their kit has the same rim clearance issues as Teraflex's they told me they were on it and never heard back since. The kit does seem to run cheaper though

3. Falcon BA
    IMO this is the best option if you want a true "bolt on kit" and if specified, they will supply calipers that will fit the stock jeep rims. BUT, it's sold all the way in Australia and not worth shipping

Other Options:
    1. Swap in a better axle with disc brakes already
    too much for what I plan to do with my rig

2. Swap over Grand Cherokee parts
    Beakie said, and I also I read through that link that the rear brackets from a D35 axle used on the 94-98 Grand Cherokee would bolt up on the 8.25 axle with some modification. Mudbros also said he'll be doin' one next week. Mud Pig also mentioned Liberty parts should work

Issues:
    1. 15" Stock Jeep rims with a molded rib on the inside will rub on the new calipers
    2. Longer wheel studs might be needed (NAPA part number available in Terafle instructions)
    3. Longer E-brake cables need (because of lift)
    YJ: Pass. side brake cable total length: 71 3/4"
    XJ: Pass. side brake cable total length: 53"
    I ordered 2x 1994 Wrangler (YJ) passenger's side emergency/parking brake cables Jeep Parts Catalogue # 5200 7522. Some other places listed this as the way to go
    4. Some welding required for Teraflex's kit. The bracket where the brake lines change from hard to soft needs to be welded to the axle. BUT if you read the article in the Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide, the bracket can be modified to attach to the leaf spring plate.

Question:
    I haven't looked too deep into it but my old auto shop teacher said something about possible issues with the proportioning valve, anybody heard about this??

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 10 Secs
    yes, do a search for e350 master cylinder conversion. I will be doing the same soon.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 20 Secs
    Here is the write up on the liberty swap.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...AKE+CONVERSION

might as well paint my calipers while I wait for parts to finish showing up

where can I get 8mm threaded rod??

fastenal?