Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LJ Fetish

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 4 Days 17 Hrs 6 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 15 Secs
    Nice build

Are you going to stretch the TJ body to fit the LJ frame?
    OF4WD #5678
    Tri-city jeep club

2005 LJ Rubicon
    2008 WK CRD
    2010 Ram 6.7 Cummins

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 59 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Head View Post
    Nice build

Are you going to stretch the TJ body to fit the LJ frame?
    Yup that's the plan. I couldn't afford a fancy Unlimited like yours when I bought my TJ

Well a couple updates...

Did a little measuring... and some leveling... some more measuring... some more leveling... you get the idea...

Marked the cut line.

Did the first cut with a cut off wheel on a grinder.

Then smoothed it down with a grinder wheel.

Since I plan on having the 14B brackets done in the next couple of weeks I started looking at the rear portion of the frame and the stock coil mount. I measured the stock coil mounts and figure it's roughly 5" from center of coil bucket to the rear outer edge of the coil mount tabs that weld to the frame.

I looked up the instructions from Clayton Offroad on their 5" rear stretch...

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/docume...-TJ40-STR5.pdf

Their instructions work with their custom frame patch kit and coil mount... So I did some rough measuring and tried to figure out how to use the stock coil mounts.

"Center" is where the stock coil mount center would be mounted.

My plan would be to cut and then weld a patch into the frame with the coil mount welded on top of that along with some fish plating on the sides. I figure this would get me maybe about 4.5" of rear stretch. Am I cutting too much of the frame? Custom coil mounts would reduce the amount of frame needing to be cut.

Any thoughts?

Picked up some metal for my welding cart and suspension brackets. I was getting sick of tripping over stuff so I spent my weekend building the cart. Just needs some hangers and paint and it's done. Nothing fancy but it works for me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 39 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 7 Secs
    is this thing gonna be ready for summer ...??lol its was going fast but it slowy down lately
    The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent!!

My goal is to have the axles built and an empty frame rolling by the summer. During the summer swap the drivetrain over and then do the body next winter.

Mocked up the disc brake setup on the 14 bolt to check for fitment and clearances. Used TMR Customs bolt on brackets and 1977 Chevy K20 front calipers, pads and rotors. With everything put together I currently have 1 1/8" of stud stick out. Trying to figure out what studs to go with as I plan to run 2" wheel spacers with my H1 rims... Wanna get it right the first time!

Did some measuring and mocking up how the front coil mount would sit on the 60. From the rough measurements I got I figure with where the big black circle (Bump stop) is that'll give me about 3.75" of front stretch. The shock location on the cardboard still needs to move back another 1.5" from where I have it located now.

Any thoughts?

120 HARRY WALKER PKWY NORTH, UNIT 2, NEWMARKET ON
    Time Online: 2 Wks 23 Hrs 51 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    Looking great so far George, keep up the progress!

TMR CUSTOMS - THE BRANDS YOU WANT FROM THE GUYS YOU TRUST!

120 Harry Walker Pkwy N, Newmarket ON, L3Y 7B2 - www.tmrcustoms.ca - 905 235 8671 - sales@tmrcustoms.com

Thanks Tim.

Today I plasma'd the mounts and estimate 3.25" front stretch with my coil mount and just tacked in some exhaust tube to mark the center of where the coil will sit.

Once the axle was under the frame and some measuring was done I realized that I needed to trim the driver side diff housing a bit... I went with a 4" wide bracket. If I went with a 3" wide then I'm guessing I wouldnt have run into this issue. Am I right?

After triming the diff housing I set the caster to 6* and the coil mount to 0*... Any thoughts on mount degree? The mount is just tacked in place. The front picture shows a bit of side lean when it's unsupported/no weight on it...

Some updates on the 14B...

Mocking up the TMR truss and pinion guard.

New diff cover showing the difference with the new bottom plate.

A buddy of mine and I tackled the bottom plate and axle tubes in one night and left it rolled up in blankets to cool for the night. Hats of to TMR for a very good instruction manual for doing the shave!

For the diff cover we marked the lines and made a bracket to mark the cut line and bolted it up to the diff cover then ran it through the band saw.

The cover and bottom plate bolt up to see fitment... then ground down some of the diff cover and bottom plate so we could get the gun in there. Welded inside and out

Cleaned the diff cover off and started laying paint...

Truss and diff cover on...

Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 22 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    lookin good george, now get it done already!
    buggy
    Tow Rig - 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    Other tow rig - 1997 Newmar Dutchstar
    OF4WD #5698
    OVO member

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 54 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 42 Secs
    Lookin awesome! I'd run 6 degrees and zero's probably good. But i'd wait to fully burn to test that zero. Only input/advice i would give is don't burn ANY suspension related stuff in till the whole thing is tacked together and sitting on its own sprung weight. Also try and set it up so your front bumpstops/tubes are pointed a little on the inside & back of the lower coil buckets so when you flex you minimize rub. It will get pretty close on compression but you'll want the majority of room for the retarded droop cause your axle will move in and back. Same for the rear other then pointed forward as opposed to rear. Good chance this has been thought through but figured i'd spout out anyway. Keep it up buddy!
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 4 Hrs 13 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 39 Secs
    Nice work, look forward to more
    "Don't re-enact scenes from Platoon with Charlie Sheen"

OF4WD # 6788

^ Thanks for the advice Curt.

It was a productive march break. We did the ball joints and bearings on Luck881's TJ and then he came over with his muscles and good looks to assist me with the fuel tank and moving the 14B around. The fuel tank skid was jam packed... Got mud?

A picture of the rear frame... I decided that removing the second to last cross member that comes in the LJ frame would allow me to push the fuel tank back to allow for the 14B to be moved back.

Once I pulled the fuel tank from the TJ I mocked it up into the LJ frame, swung the 14B under and made some measurements for where the coil buckets will sit on the frame.

After measuring and remeasuring where the coil mounts would sit on the frame I decided to remove the body mount/shock cross member as it would get in the way of notching the frame. Removing this cross member will allow me to reposition the body mount cross member (to stock TJ location) for when I stretch the tub so I will only need to make one cut of the tub and not two.

Last edited by Impact; 03-21-2012 at 11:31 PM.

A couple of us managed to get out last Sunday and do some snow wheeling...

Took the Preggasorous out... 35 Weeks

Got a little package in the mail today... 2" Rough Country spacers that I got from PJF4x4. I ended up ordering the spacers for a Dodge to match my 9/16 14B studs and change my front studs to 9/16's. I tried the spacer on the 14B hub with rotor on and the nuts just fully grip the studs so no worries there

Managed to get a little work done tonight... Any thoughts on the frame mount? I will probably notch more of the back side of the frame to about 45* instead of the current 90* I have it at. I'm concerned that if left the way it is the coil on compression will contact the rear portion on the bracket.

It's been a little while since an update... Managed to get out and do a couple more runs...

Picked up a Gobi roof rack for the wife's JK from PJF 4x4... Excellent quality product, good instructions and very well packaged.

Finished building the rear frame coil mount and welded them on... Is it worth fish plating the frame? Inner side?

A little arts and crafts... Any thoughts on the design of the frame suspension brackets?

Didn't get anything done on the Jeep this weekend... But I did get a new addition to the family

Reading a little JP Magazine with Daddy while Mommy slept... Followed by a little Extreme 4X4 the next morning. Watch out Jessi Combs

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 20 Secs
    Congrats buddy.
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)