Thread: Transmission Rebuild

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 4 Hrs 1 Min 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 40 Secs

Transmission Rebuild

Has anyone out there rebuilt their automatic tranny? Mine is getting to the point of death, so i'm planning on rebuilding a spare that I have. I would also like to build it a bit stronger.

Just looking for some tips or advice if anyone else has done it before. Its the Torqueflite 999 that came behind the 4.2.

Time Online: 2 Hrs 3 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    I have had some apart. The time you spend money on a re-beld kit you can get a used one cheaper. good luck man

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    i would give it a try just be realy religious about your work space.
    rwd trans arent realy hard to build it just takes a few special tools.
    if walk in to a trans shop in the hood and explane what your doing a good shop owner would give you a few minutes of his day to let you know what kind of tools will be required for the 999.

Time Online: 3 Days 18 Hrs 40 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    yup done several, buy yourself an ATSG guide from Ideal or a place like that to match your trans, general rule of thumb never rebuid a trans with more than 300 000 km on it. over time the case actually grows and will not last long as a rebuild. the tolerances r key to success.wash parts as mutch as possible. and if trans worked when removed leave valve body alone.

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 4 Hrs 1 Min 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 40 Secs
    Thanks for the tips, I'm not really rebuilding it because I'm being cheap, its just something that I would like to learn how to do.

About leaving the valve body alone, is it hard to successfully install a shift kit?

Time Online: 3 Days 18 Hrs 40 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jboors View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I'm not really rebuilding it because I'm being cheap, its just something that I would like to learn how to do.

About leaving the valve body alone, is it hard to successfully install a shift kit?
    no most shift kits are easy to most replace the bearing check valves and replace a couple springs and usually a shim in the 1-2 shift valve its alway a good idea to have 600grit wetdry sand paper handy as the valves r steel contacting aluminium and once disturbed need a wet sand with trans fluid and the paper.any valve u disturb while doin the shift kit make sure u test in and out several times to be sure it does not stick.