Thread: 92 Yj Build

Time Online: 3 Days 6 Hrs 54 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

92 Yj Build

Hey everyone im going to start a build thread and maybe it will inspire me to get this beast done faster i bought a 92 jeep YJ 4.0L 5spd with 260k on her in Dec of 2008 the body is in rough shape but its not a big deal as im slowly picking away at it each night after work. So far ive only done the boring part of a build ive started tackling the rust omg alot of rust but the repairs are being done properly and professionally and i am cuting all the old metal out and replace it with new metal bla bla bla. I have done mostly maintence so far including new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel and air filters, all 6 ujoints, power steering pump and pulley and a new serp belt. I have also installed a radioshack CB and a firestick antenna, and threw on some 31 by 10.5 AT tires i had laying around from my Grand Cherokee. I also have a new windsheild and frame to install when it gets nicer out! Im sure theres more im missing i will add as i go.

The plans for the build include 33inch mtrs (not sure of the brand yet) 4inch rubicon express lift that i am purchasing used of Marty on the boards and front, rear aussie lockers (maybe selectable if money permits) and ofcourse paint when i get the body done and decide on a damn colour then finally some sliders and bumpers! I want to keep the jeep as a DD but an enjoyable weekend trail rig.

The passenger side bodywork done (rocker and floors) ..............I know i need fenders im hoping to go with tubes

Close up of the body work (sorry no during will make sure to post during on the drivers side) I LOST MY JOOP! oh well

Side Shot (running 31. 10.50`s i had laying around on stock painted rims)

Rear shot (Full size spare coming when i can find another stock rim to put it on)

Another rear

Drivers rocker (RUST!!!!!) (Im sure mudpig sees only this side driving by it to work everyday!!!)

Dirty Interior

Side shot that i liked (Flairless well i take care of the rust!

I Plan on having the heap painted by spring and hopfully the lift will be on for spring to then its time to get a bikini top and or a soft top! any info tips and or comments let me know people i like to hear them i will keep the thread updated the best i can but i dont have alot of time to work on it as i work 45 hours a week. Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Jeepman9595; 02-22-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    good build up lots of info and detailed progress good job

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 31 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    packed with info!!!!!!!!!!!11
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

lil_loco Guest
    I dont think you need that deck and CB you should give it to me hehehehe... I look forward to seeing pictures!!!

Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 42 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_loco View Post
    I dont think you need that deck and CB you should give it to me hehehehe... I look forward to seeing pictures!!!
    naw who needs a cb, when ya can just take a paper cup with a string from one truck to another during the wheeling trip
    I Like My Women Like I Like My Jeeps..... Wet And Dirty!!
    89 YJ Islander 4.2L, SOA d30/d44 lock rite locker, tj shafts/297 u joints, 35x16x15 boggers, custom wrap bar, 15x10 american racing rims, AA SYE, Warn 8274, custom front/rear bumper, fog lights, teraflex high steer, 1 ton tie rods ends, 40 series flowmaster, leather xj power seats - SOLD!!
    81 camaro, TH350, 468BBC - SOLD!!

hoping to get the drivers floor and rocker done this weekend, then fix some dents and its gonna be about ready for paint after sanding and all that crap but i gotta find some fenders before i do anything so anyone that has 2 good fenders that would be great!

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 9 Hrs 47 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 41 Secs
    Looks good, it's alot of work but thats what jeeps are for!!

ya slowly but surley its coming together i will update soon with pics!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Looking good bud, and I did see the right side one day when it was parked in the drive way.
    Keep up the good work.
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    lookin good man, go tube fenders for sure, i think they look killer on yj's
    i cant wait to get started on a yj project!!!
    No fingers, no toes, she doesn't own elbows,
    No phalanges no knobby knees to knock.
    She don't need knuckles or hands to go see punk rock bands, She's always in the stands, she's nubs

Heres a little update guys, did the drivers floor pan couldnt be bothered to order one and wait, lol when i wanna do something i wanna do it then and thats it. Anyways heres the bodywork on the drivers side! enjoy, still needs alot more sanding and then i need fenders, anyone with good shape fenders PM ME please after that im gonna paint it, Blaze red off a 1970 mgb lol have some extra at work i think it will look cool with a black grill and accents, (the color is almost like the dukes of hazard chager! its gonna be BRIGHT!

My Friend Checking out the Previous Owners (PROFESSIONAL) Floor Repair (some sheet metal with lots of screws and silicone

Cutting out the cancer

Half the floor in (more like 3/4) wish i coulda done it in one peice but i didnt have a big enough peice after the rocker was cut! Owell thats what a welder and seam sealer are for, i hate flux welders!

Where did my JOOP go?

Had to pull the rollbar and cut ALOT more then i thought here,

Not perfect but i can live with it, shes gonna be rustchecked every year to slow the rust down hopfully!

The rocker patch needed lots of wire wheeling to get that flash rust off how annoying it rusted like that after one night!

This is so it never EVER happenes agian in my time owning the heap!

Thats all i got for now thats a weekends worth well the batteries died with got a coat of glass on after the rocker lip was rolled under, then some bondo but it needs some well lots more blocking and some putty before primer will geet some finished pics of the floor and stuff before i rhynoline the floor this weekend enjoy!
    Last edited by Jeepman9595; 03-25-2009 at 09:40 PM.

The plans for this weekend include (pic up lift kit 4 inch rubicon express) posilock DAMN vaccuum actuaters! and change both diff fluids and the tcase and the trans thanks for looking guys and critisizim and or comments are welcome! anyone with good shape fender let me know!
    Last edited by Jeepman9595; 03-25-2009 at 10:25 PM.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Looking good, bud.
    What are your plans for tires when you finish the lift?

Time Online: 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Beautiful YJ man! I just did all the bodywork on my 94 YJ last summer. It had rust spots in pretty much the same places as yours but not as bad. It was driven in alberta where they don't salt the roads so I was lucky. I ended up painting it black so I had to spend lots of time sanding the body filler, sanding the primer, painting and then sanding down the paint and then checking it with a sqweegee (spelling?). If I did it all over again I would just get replacement panels. Or either remove the entire body, spot weld with a mig and then finish off with a TIG, then get the entire body dipped (i'm not sure what they dip it in but apparently its a little like galvanizing). That's expensive though. This time I just spot welded with a mig, ground down the welds and filled it in with JB weld. It's standing up alright so far. If you haven't got it painted yet I would suggest using a two part epoxy primer. It's a great sealant to inhibit the rust. It's rock hard though so you have to make sure it goes on smooth since it would be a nightmare to sand.
    There's also a great product out there that you may want to check out. It's called POR 15 (Paint Over Rust). It's very expensive but a little quart goes a long way. It comes out a dull black so you can only really put it on parts that won't be seen (ie it would look weird on the hinges).
    Hope this helps. It was my first time restoring a YJ. I'm about to throw a new soft top on. I had trouble finding a used software with the hardware included so i splurged on a new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04910.jpg  

thanks alot guys and mud pig the plans are a 33.12.5.15 Mt not sure of the brand yet kinda keeping my eyes out for used but if i have to i will go new!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Drove by the Jeep the other day and must say it is looking better (and bigger) each day.

hahah thanks alot mud pig, yea its coming along nicly got alot done in the last week. i got the interior hurculined the 4' rubicon express lift on and the inside of the hardtop and rollbars painted black pictures coming tomrow guys

Alittle poser flexing with the new lift,

Got her all primered one color finally still needs more drivers side bodywork and the windsheild frame and fenders installed. Just wanted it one colour. Tinted Turn signals

Passenger side! (need fenders)

Tinted tails and got rid of the spare and hardware (awaiting rear bumper,carrier)

Bad cellphone pic from some wheeling 2 weekends ago

Let me know what you guys think, still trying to decide on a colour for the heap but thats after the fenders and windsheild frame then some final touchups (dent on hood) drivers rocker needs to be blocked out and so on) Waiting on tax return then the 33`s will be going on. and hopfully somtime this week i will have the windows tinted, i will get some pics up of the herc`d interior somtime this week!
    Last edited by Jeepman9595; 04-19-2009 at 06:01 PM.

got the windsheild frame primered, getting the glass this weekend. Anyone have any ideas on a cool windsheild sticker before i instal it?

My Mood
    Stressed
    So whats up with the Jeep? I see it is sitting up at the shop with no plates, and you are driving that yellow ram.
    Have you lost interest, or changed your direction.