Thread: Please Help! 99 Cavalier Z24 P0507 & P0105 DTC Codes

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 8 Hrs 5 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min

Please Help! 99 Cavalier Z24 P0507 & P0105 DTC Codes

Hey Guys

My 99 Cavalier Z24 is experiencing a pulsing idling issue right now. OBD scan tool pulls the codes P0507 "Idle Speed High" & P0105 "MAP/TP Sensor Performance/Range". When I start the car the idle will jump between 1500-2000 RPM at idle. While driving I don't even have to push the gas pedal and the vehicle speed will keep increasing until I hit the brakes to slow it down. Then it will start all over again.

I Have done the following:
    Checked visually for a vaccuum leak
    Check all connectors to TP/MAP/IAC sensors for connections and possible wear.
    Unplugged the TP to check operation
    Replaced IAC valve.
    Disconnected the battery to clear codes but codes keep returning.

I am stuck and need some technical help or someone with a scan tool who can tell me what is wrong with it. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
    98 TJ Sahara, 4.0L, 5 speed, custom bumper, Titan 12k, Front ACOS, RE 3.5" Superflex lift w/ Bilstein's, AA SYE, XJ CV Shaft, 33" Trxus, 1.25 JKS" BL, 1" Currie MML, (HC T/C skid plate to come).

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    with the ign on and the car not running, probe the green or white wire i can remember but one is reference voltage from the computer and should be 5v the other should be in the range of .900 and 1v once you find the wire with the lower voltage open the throttle slowly there should be an even increse in voltage up to 5v max.

if the voltage jumps allover the place or has more than 1v with the throttle cloased replace the tps sensor.
    if the tps checks out good give the throttle body and iac a good cleaning with a tb cleaner.
    if it still gives you a hard time i would check realy hard for a vacume leak or pull the plugs and look for white crusty chunks on the plugs a dead givaway for a headgasket leak into the combustion chamber(a common problem on the 2.4)
    Last edited by mud bros.1; 02-27-2009 at 10:23 PM.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ok I have 5v and .1v on the other with the key in the on position. When I reconnect the TP and backprobe it I get .42v at rest. When I move the throttle it slowly increases to 4.38v. I have already cleaned the TB with TB cleaner and the IAC. What is the best way to determine the vaccuum leak? I haven't pulled the plugs yet.

Time Online: N/A
    yes you need to check it with the tps plug in.
    .42 is low and will cause the iac to open and cause crazyness allover.
    4.38 is also on the low side
    sounds like the tps is worn out on the plastic tab that conects it to the tb.
    the tps is still good if the reading is smooth when you open it.

the best way to fix this is to loosen the tps and see if there is any movement for adjustment sometimes you can make theholes a bit bigger to give you some room to play with
    the goal is 1v at rest and 5v at wide open.

5v with the plug disconected is a good sign.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ok took the screws out to adjust the voltage to 1v. No change in idling improving. Try to adjust as a range (.5v - 1.5v) to see if any other range would slow it down and nothing changed for the better. Checked the plugs, no indication of bad plugs or leaky head. Any other suggestions before I go on the vaccuum leak rampage check?

Time Online: 7 Hrs 4 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Checking for a vacuum leak is easy. With the vechicle running spray some carb spray around the intake gasket area and listen/feel for a change in the way the vechicle is running. Some of the J & N body cars with the 2.4L engine have updated programming to adress idle issues. Just my .02c worth. I have been a Gm tech for approx 15 years.

Good luck and cheers Jamie

Time Online: 3 Hrs 45 Mins 29 Secs
    2.4 = quad 4. Stand facing eng bay. Look down under edge of plastic cover and you will find a cracked or deteriorated vac line ... almost sure this is the problem...get back.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by trukie View Post
    Checking for a vacuum leak is easy. With the vechicle running spray some carb spray around the intake gasket area and listen/feel for a change in the way the vechicle is running. Some of the J & N body cars with the 2.4L engine have updated programming to adress idle issues. Just my .02c worth. I have been a Gm tech for approx 15 years.

Good luck and cheers Jamie
    Tried that and it didn't work, but thanks

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyJeep View Post
    2.4 = quad 4. Stand facing eng bay. Look down under edge of plastic cover and you will find a cracked or deteriorated vac line ... almost sure this is the problem...get back.
    If you are talking about the vac line between the intake manifold and MAP sensor, I replaced that about 1 year ago.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Update. Took it to Top Technicians in Orangeville. Sean there checked everything I did (he had a scan tool though and could interact with the car) Turns out the PCM was not communicating to the IAC. The PCM in the 2.4 is located under the passenger front fender. 3 wires' insulation had cracked at the PCM and started to corrode. Problem now fixed. Thanks for your help everyone. Sometimes you just have to give up and pay a technician.