Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 79 z28 camaro

Time Online: 1 Day 22 Hrs 55 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs

79 z28 camaro

having transmissions issues with this now too! i have a borg warner t 10 in it now, the close ratio version since its a z. i think my syncros have gone to sh*t? when i go to shift into second it doesnt always click in. it feels like its in but then as i let the clutch out you can feel it pop out and it grinds. sometimes it works, usually better when its cold. if i give er in first it doesnt NOT want to shift, but if i keep the clutch held in for a while and shift carefully it seems to work better. third also sometimes doesnt work. ill go to shift into it and it will make a weird noise, not grinding but it sounds like something is spinning free and and LIGHTLY grinding. and then it wont engage. i know its vague but any ideas? it always has a bad vibration starting at about 70ish and gets worse and worse the faster you go.

im not sure whether its worth rebuilding it with new syncros, if so know any good places? or whether i should replace it with a muncie since its a direct bolt in, or something else? i wont be putting in my big block until next summer or 2 winters from now, so im not worried about it having to deal with serious power. thanks a lot!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    sounds like syncros to me
    rockin the 95 xj custom 4inch lift and 285/75/16 bfg mud terrain km2 and bds discos R.I.P

98 xj 4.0L 5spd 4.5" zone lift and m/t sidebiters looking for 33s

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 3 Days 15 Hrs 42 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 55 Secs
    syncro for sure. maybe you should sell it to me, I know a tranny guy
    Want to see the future, past or the unknown? Learn to be psychic. Ask me how!
    A good time to invest in spf3000 if you live on the NK penninsula.
    Oh November 17, how I fear thee...

or you could forward his name to me i would rather rebuild it cause its a pretty hard to find tranny.

Time Online: 13 Hrs 33 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    yes they are hard to find espically if it the super t-10 which is what i have in my 79 z. I was told that a cheap swap is a t-5 from a 3rd gen camaro. this could be a cheap thing to get you up and going while you have the t-10 rebuilt. When i need one i had to get one out of california years ago. Check out the swap meet section in nastyz28.com somethimes you can get them on there pretty reasonably priced.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 3 Days 15 Hrs 42 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 55 Secs
    Wayne at Automatic Transmission in London, Charterhouse cres. Not sure about the phone number but he does pure magic with automatics and damn good with manuals. The only place I will ever go to

thanks guys, i just found nastyz28 a few days ago but i havent been approved to be a member yet!

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins
    i might have a 4 speed saginaw,not sure what series .was for my 69 camaro, i never used it

what would you want for it, if you have it? i am interested for sure.. thanks

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins
    it was in my friends barn,will check on the weekend,i think it has hurst shift assm$150.00

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 4 Hrs 14 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 52 Secs
    Just an f.y.i. Stach's a good guy to deal with. I bought off him in the past.

okay let me know, thanks. was it working fine when you put it in the barn? how longs it been there? covered or uncovered? thanks again ^ yeah hes helped me out before, he gave me frame sections to fix my 4runner for free!

Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 42 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ianseldon View Post
    thanks guys, i just found nastyz28 a few days ago but i havent been approved to be a member yet!
    im on that site good site for sure, and also i would suggest ditching that tranny, and put a t-56 6speed in her behind that BBC... your gonna loooove that BBC if ya build her up
    I Like My Women Like I Like My Jeeps..... Wet And Dirty!!
    89 YJ Islander 4.2L, SOA d30/d44 lock rite locker, tj shafts/297 u joints, 35x16x15 boggers, custom wrap bar, 15x10 american racing rims, AA SYE, Warn 8274, custom front/rear bumper, fog lights, teraflex high steer, 1 ton tie rods ends, 40 series flowmaster, leather xj power seats - SOLD!!
    81 camaro, TH350, 468BBC - SOLD!!

yeah thats the plan ill put the 4.56s back in it then, but they were killing me with this 4 speed since its close ratio so back to 3.73s i went. i wont be building up the 454 too much, although i have said that before. its from a 70, its rated at 450 hp and 500 ft/lbs, not at the wheels keep in mind but that'll be enough for a little bit.

i have found a few out of newer ss camaros but none that dont seem ridiculously overpriced. when the time comes i might order a brand new tranny off summit racing or northern performance or something. they are just a bit more but at least i know it wont need a rebuild

yeah thats the plan ill put the 4.56s back in it then, but they were killing me with this 4 speed since its close ratio so back to 3.73s i went. i wont be building up the 454 too much, although i have said that before. its from a 70, its rated at 450 hp and 500 ft/lbs, not at the wheels keep in mind but that'll be enough for a little bit.
    naw you gotta get up in the range with everyone else and have like 600at the wheels :P lol ...

and ur first couple gears will be damn near useless with 456's and the 6speed, along with not having decent tires or anything too hook.. sh ebe a definate handful....

you can get a t-56 used with low km for like 2grand ish maybe ...

i saw a whole 4th gen car that was had front end accident with 160,000km for 1500 bucks ! cheap

yeah the cheapest i have found are about 1500, but thats usd so i gotta deal with shipping and everything. there was a late nineties z28 on kijiji a while ago, 120k, lt1 six speed for 2300?! it was gone when i emailed the person but it looked like it was in relly good shape still, i didnt get it. oh well. as far as hooking up, a few people i know race at flamboro speedway so i can get all the tires i want. put a little groove in them and no one will ever know..minus the big hoosier logo down the side but sssh. haha. and its not like people dont like burnouts haha.

yeah the cheapest i have found are about 1500, but thats usd so i gotta deal with shipping and everything. there was a late nineties z28 on kijiji a while ago, 120k, lt1 six speed for 2300?! it was gone when i emailed the person but it looked like it was in relly good shape still, i didnt get it. oh well. as far as hooking up, a few people i know race at flamboro speedway so i can get all the tires i want. put a little groove in them and no one will ever know..minus the big hoosier logo down the side but sssh. haha. and its not like people dont like burnouts haha.
    nice dude... ya i got some mickey thompson et street for my car this summer i hope they hook up on the street.. 28x12.5x15... we will have to tour together this summer man ... see how ya sbc like the bbc lol ... also i have some sweet cheap tricks to get a car to hook like ours if ya need some help or ideas... mines 81 with a 468 BBC in case ya didnt know...

haha sbc's and bbc's cant drive side by side without hurting feelings. i have traction bars on now but they really arent doing anything. but i only have 275 radials on it which isnt helping. im not sure whether it was you or steve who showed me the link to your car on youtube..but its really nice! and nice to see some big old burnouts haha. you'll have to come down to this "grandpas car cruise". its not really for grandpas, seeing as how im 19. lots of nice cars though, all classic muscle. darts,camaros,trans ams,dusters etc etc. plus a few nice old cars too. we usually go down me in my car, my friend in his 79 cutlass with a 350 rocket in it, his dad with a 57 chevy, another friend with a big block 56? crown vic.. its always a fun time