Thread: Half doors

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 18 Secs

Half doors

So with the warmer weather approaching, I decided it was time to take action on the half doors I've been thinking about doing all winter. Grabbed a set of doors last week and started to try to figure out how I would attack this project. So far, I taped off the planned cut on my original doors.

The next step in the plan is to trace the taped door onto clear plastic, then use that cutout to make a cardboard template to match both sides evenly. I think I am going to cut the outsides first and then once that is done, trace that line onto the inside skin in order to have the cuts line up. Once all the cuts are done, they will get closed up, and a single tj type latch put on the flat portion of the door to allow it to be opened from inside or out.

Lastly will be a set of canvas and vinyl soft sides that will snap/velcro into place in order to provide some sort of weather protection as these will be staying on for the duration of the summer.

Let me know what you guys think.

*Edit* Noticed last night while trying to figure out the next step, can't cut that far towards the rear of the door, gonna have to move that line a little bit forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jeep door.jpg  
    Last edited by MattK; 03-24-2009 at 09:49 AM.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 13 Hrs 6 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    I hope you keep posting... so I can see if I should do the same!
    Act Boldly~and mighty forces will come to your aid

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 38 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 59 Secs
    looks interesting
    would be easier to do tube doors
    but i can not wait to see how this one works out..
    this is what Jeeping is all about
    doing things a little diff and doing them yourself..

I always thought the doors offered strength to the unibody that was needed
    just keep that in mind when your cutting these doors down...
    Jeeps, Bitches and Guns... Nuf Said

Definately will keep it updated as I go. Hopefully going to get some more work done on it tomorrow night and I'll get some pics.

I thought long and hard about doing tube doors, but due to the difficulty in removing the doors (without modding the hinges), I decided to go this route and have something that was somewhat enclosed with the addition of the softsides that will be coming. In terms of strength to the Uni, from what I have gathered on different forums, they are not essential, in fact I've seen threads where guys are running completely doorless without a cage. That being said, I am still considering putting some square tubing in around the cut out area to add some strength. Strength is also another reason why I decided to keep the window frames in place as opposed to removing them entirely.

Matt

So finally got to cutting today. Got the outer skin removed from the first door, next step, getting the cross member out. Die grinder with a 3 inch cutting wheel worked wonders, only thing holding up progress is a small compressor. Will have pictures up later tonight.
    Matt