Thread: rocker replacement

Time Online: 3 Days 21 Hrs 13 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs

rocker replacement

88 4runner: the more i run the more i tear out ! its not that bad but I am going to cut out the old rockers and replace them with new. square tubing so where do I end cutting the body? at the line and cut flush then weld, or do I leave a little left to overlap . Ime thinking flush. a little worried about not finding metal clean enough or strong enough to weld. Ime going to weld 3x3 tubing by1/8 thick before i install i will cut 3 holes to the inside to weld round tubing around 110 wall ime thinking rocker slider idea. any advice would be good . the fun part is going to be matching up my fender flares.if it works and looks good than bumper replacement front and back will be next.

what do i weld it to when i cut out the bad metal?do i cut it to the bottom of the door to weld? i dont want to cut too much out! looking through the holes i can see the bottom of the door so my gut tells me that i should cut enough to rest it against the bottom of the door then line it up even height to each fenderwell. if you have done it before let me know how it went.thanks

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 19 Secs
    i would just cut the rot out.. no quite to the bottom of the door if possible.. would square tube measure up and replace it?? or some homemade sliders...take some pics and youll get more hits....
    maybe just the rokers so they dont know its a toyota!!!

www.yotatech.com
    best toyota site ever dude they will help ya!
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

i picked up some 2x3x1/8" steel it looks like it should fit . ime making rocker sliders,if i drive over a rock or a log hidden in the mud i want something solid. as soon as i start the build ill post pictures. ime just learning my way around the computer so in a little while ille take pictures and post them

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 19 Secs
    cool www.photobucket.com is free and easy to post pics!

finally got to my rockers. needed undisturbed time!!all i did was cut out the bad and replaced it with solid steel 2x4x1/8"x 61" long. cut it out with a 1/16 cutoff wheel. then i put where i wanted it, cut 2x2x1/8 x5 then a5 1/4" then the hard angle to cut where the frame bends in i used a piece of 1" x3/4" round tubing cut straight on one side an angle on the other . it worked out great. then i tacked them on,took off the rockers, welded them in place on the ground.then put them back in place and welded them in. after that i welded some round bar inbetween the bodypanel and the rocker,i only tacked the body panels in 4 places to allow for flex,or future body lift. if i have to change it i just grind off 4 welds. at first i wanted to use some caulking to fill it then paint it but i liked the look it had so i grinded it then painted it. next project front hitch, rear bumper the list continues. here are my pictures {installing pictures was harder than the build}
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 031.jpg   019.jpg   026.jpg   027.jpg   028.jpg  

029.jpg   018.jpg   032.jpg  
    Last edited by Bryn rennie; 07-02-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Bryn; 86 chev k5 blazer

ille install my fenderflares sunday one more run to get it really muddy!!!!

Time Online: 9 Hrs 50 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    those rockers look good.