Thread: registering a trailer

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 3 Days 14 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs

registering a trailer

Does anyone know how you go about registering a homemade trailer. I am thinking about building a small 4' x4' offroad trailer. Approx weight i am guessing about 3001bs with 1500lbs axles. Do i have to register this thing and get it plated.

Time Online: 1 Day 6 Hrs 34 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    You do have to register it and have it plated.
    Just go to your nearest MTO office and tell them that you've built a trailer. They'll give you an ownership and plate it for you. It's easy as pie.
    If it isn't broke......... then I must not own it!!!!!

Time Online: 3 Days 19 Hrs 48 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs
    ......and you will likely be asked to make up a serial number for it, i remember when my father had to register his, they asked for a serial number, he said there isn't one for it, woman behind the counter said just use your phone number, which he did.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 2 Hrs 33 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 23 Secs
    When I registered my homebuilt trailer they just asked me a couple questions about it and that was it...

I believe how many axles... Approx weight... colour.. and type(is in enclosed? etc...)
    That was it.

As for serial number they just used HMBLT or something like that stating it was home built.

YouTube Videos
    98 AM General Hummer with 2" lift and 38" Tires
    1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1.6L 8v with Propane, HD TCase Cradle, 34" TSL Skinnys, 8" Lift(SPOA, M/Ls), High Shock Mounts, Tube Doors, HD Front/Rear Bumpers.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 26 Secs
    I just registered mine a few weeks ago.
    Took about 15 mins total.

They asked me apprx. weight of the trailer, how many axles, and colour. Didn't even ask if it was flat deck, enclosed etc (that I recall). All they wanted was my driver's license, had a plate and ownership and was on my way for $20 or something like that (like I said, it was about a month ago)
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

Time Online: 3 Days 18 Hrs 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by }{avoc View Post
    I just registered mine a few weeks ago.
    Took about 15 mins total.

They asked me apprx. weight of the trailer, how many axles, and colour. Didn't even ask if it was flat deck, enclosed etc (that I recall). All they wanted was my driver's license, had a plate and ownership and was on my way for $20 or something like that (like I said, it was about a month ago)
    never did ask how u liked it.. Sorry for the hijack.. and yes u need to know the weight of it and colour and they will ask if it has brakes.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 17 Hrs 11 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 51 Secs
    Just found this thread, really helpfull - thank to those who posted.

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 23 Hrs 17 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 57 Secs
    Did my trailer last week. Said home made approx weight given. no question on brakes did say twin axles though.
    see gave me plate and a VIN number said I have to mark that somewhere on the frame.
    was so easy its nuts. about $30 paid.
    cheers Joe

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 7 Hrs 47 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 57 Secs
    I did a trailer about 2 months ago. Walked in, "I need a plate and papers for a trailer I built"

Questions were;
    -When did you build it?
    -What colour is it?
    -How much does it weigh?
    -How many axles?

It says HMBILT or something like that instead of serial number. Took 10 mins, and I think $30 (10 for papers, 20 for plates).
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Day 1 Hr 8 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    No "weight certificate" any more? The last time I registered a homebuilt tandem, I had to have it weighed by a certified scale. Would not have needed it for a single axle.

It also sounds like they're not using "file numbers" any more. Some years ago, I bought a used Bantam trailer. It came with an ownership that had something called a "file number" in place of a serial number. When I stripped the paint off it, I found a brass plate with the name Bantam and a serial number. Being able to prove it really was a Bantam made it more valuable, so I thought it was worth paying the sales tax to get it properly registered. When I asked them to enter the serial number in place of the file number, they said they couldn't do that unless I went through a dealer.

It's hard to believe that something has actually gotten simpler, but it seems trailer registration has.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 8 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 4 Hrs 52 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 16 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by uglydukwling View Post
    No "weight certificate" any more? The last time I registered a homebuilt tandem, I had to have it weighed by a certified scale. Would not have needed it for a single axle.
    I have built a few tandem axle trailers and have never needed to provide a weight certificate. I just told them what it weighs and they filled in the blanks. The registered empty weight of a trailer doesn't mean much, anyway.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    97 TJ Sport

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 48 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Question

OK here it is almost August 2014....and...I'm going to the MTO Thursday (pay day) to register my homemade tandem axle trailer.....has anything changed since the last post??
    As for the weight of my trailer...I figure it is about 1400lbs (635kgs)...does the weight of the trailer cause any issues with MTO?? Will I have to certify the trailer to get plates and ownership??

fics