Thread: 4 banger lift?

Time Online: 9 Hrs 47 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

4 banger lift?

I have a 97 tj, it has 31 on it right know but im thinking of lifting it 3 inch's and throwing some 33 on it. The problem is, i have heard that a 4 banger is not powerful enought. I use my jeep everyday, I need to climb to highway speeds and be able to drive it normally. What do you guys think

thanks guys,
    Dan

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 38 Secs
    do you have problems going up steep hills on the highways? when mine had a 4cyl in it, i would have to drop 2 gears at times just to get up the hills. that was with 31's on it. my motor had almost 400 000 on it though.

Time Online: 3 Days 10 Hrs 47 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Secs
    I have 33's on my 4 banger and it tops out at like 100km an hour, and thats if there isnt any serious wind/hills.

Time Online: 17 Hrs 27 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by your_daddy_14 View Post
    I have a 97 tj, it has 31 on it right know but im thinking of lifting it 3 inch's and throwing some 33 on it. The problem is, i have heard that a 4 banger is not powerful enought. I use my jeep everyday, I need to climb to highway speeds and be able to drive it normally. What do you guys think

thanks guys,
    Dan
    go for it.
    i have a 93 with a 2.5 5 speed with a 5" lift and 35/12.50 and can run the highway np maxing at 115. dont know why other people say they never use 5th gear as im aways using it daily driving 80km to work n back

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 4 Hrs 21 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 50 Secs
    I have 33"s on my 4cly 97 TJ. Its great on the trails with the stock 4.10's, however, while its not impossible to drive everyday on the road, it does take a lot of getting used to. The little motor just needs to work so much harder then the 6cly to get the Jeep upto hwy speeds.

Last year I went from a '95 Grand Cherokee V8 to the '97 TJ. 220HP down to 120HP.... I tell you, 100HP and 4 more 4clys makes a HUGE difference...

The biggest difference is a complete lack of "get up and go".... If your used to pushing the gas pedal to the floor, and your vehicle takes off, that will no longer be happening.

However, on the good side, it greatly decreases the chance of getting a speeding or racing ticket.

I'v gotten my TJ up to 120km/h, heading downhill, with a tailwind.

Now, take the top and doors off.... forget even hitting the speed limit....

I'm lucky to have the TJ for the trails, and a stock XJ for the daily drive. While the fun factor out ways the slowness of the TJ, I'm glad after driving the TJ for a couple days to get back in the XJ, and be able to quickly get back in with traffic. If I have to pass another slower vehicle on the road, I don't like having to play the "I hope I can make it" game with the TJ. Have to drop down 2 gears, pass on a flats, or downhill, give yourself twice the normal time as I would in the XJ.

You might want to find somebody with the same 4cly and tires setup in your area and go for a ride with them, before you spend the money on your Jeep.