Thread: 8.8 swap

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs

8.8 swap

Almost done, waiting for my driveshaft, but wondering if anybody has experiance with the brake issue? I assumed the residual valve would be in the master cyl..but it isnt. Aha..its in the proportioning valve. Took it apart, pulled the valve, and found a washer, which I removed ?. Now can't get it to bleed. Question. Am I on the right track, or should I swap to a differant master/prop valve combo?
    Yesterday's HISTORY, Tomorrow's a MYSTERY. LIVE FOR TODAY

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 1 Hr 14 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 6 Secs
    I didn't change anything....works great.

Time Online: 13 Hrs 33 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    I also did the 8.8 swap and didnt change anything in the brakes system.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    x3
    8.8 in, no change to braking system
    insert something witty here

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 59 Secs
    x4

No change

Your workin to hard

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I swapped a Waggy 44 in to the front at the same time if that makes any differnce to ya

Ok. Thanks guys. Progress report,,seems to bleed ok..sofar..xcept fer that pesky frame hose..leaks.
    The issue is..drum brakes need a residual valve to keep the w/cyl's full and pressurized. Disc brakes dont need the valve, because the pads always rub, so theres no slack anyway. Story USED to be, you had to pull the valve to let the pad retract a hair. But I made my living with GM, so maybe Jeep reinvented it..LOL.

Thanks for the input.

Somebody told me today that Jeep has been bought by International Harvester, and they are only going to build JK's and Grands..ie, solid front axle..no more "pretenders".
    Said he read it in JP magazine. Anybody hear about it?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 16 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    ^it was an april fools joke, they do it every year

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 1 Hr 14 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 6 Secs
    That International purchase of Jeep was published in JP Mags April issue and was an April Fool's joke. THough I was really excited for a moment!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstf View Post
    Ok. Thanks guys. Progress report,,seems to bleed ok..sofar..xcept fer that pesky frame hose..leaks.
    The issue is..drum brakes need a residual valve to keep the w/cyl's full and pressurized. Disc brakes dont need the valve, because the pads always rub, so theres no slack anyway. Story USED to be, you had to pull the valve to let the pad retract a hair. But I made my living with GM, so maybe Jeep reinvented it..LOL.

Thanks for the input.

Somebody told me today that Jeep has been bought by International Harvester, and they are only going to build JK's and Grands..ie, solid front axle..no more "pretenders".
    Said he read it in JP magazine. Anybody hear about it?
    Come on

Hopes and Dreams,,,,nm

Progress report update. Removing the washer in the prop valve doesnt work. Lets fluid escape from the switch..which is now toast..fixed with a piece o tape, need to pull the bulb. Fianally got the rear hose to stop leaking. Brakes work gr8, and the change of gear ratios woke it up large.
    I recieved a couple of big bonuses, in that I used Ruffstuff's easy swap 8.8 kit and cover. Cover is bulletproof 3/8 A50 steel, with 1/2 ring, super well made. The swap kit includes U bolts, shock mounts, and antiwrap perches. The shock mounts are short, so u can mount em high, but my old shocks where too long, so I scrounged up an old pair of stock length ones I took off 5 years ago. Now heres the big bonus. The antiwrap perches flattened out the springs, and combined with the softer shocks (KYB adjustables) it rides like a dream, stops like a sports car, and because it does those things, it handles too. I lost about 2" of lift in the back, but dont have any tire rub sofar, and since I am cuttin out a ton of wheelwell once my new flairs arrive, it wont be an issue. I also did'nt use any wheel spacers, and it's not an issue

Time Online: 2 Hrs 3 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    can u post some pics when your done. doing them same to mine

Its kinda tough to take pics of actually, but heres a couple I took before the gas tank went back in. It's not a hard swap, providing you have all the parts and pieces before you get started. As I have said before, get a complete, removed from an Explorer while you are there, rather than grabbing one off the diff pile, ie, ebrake cables, and the u joint yoke, and take the cover off and check for condition, ratio etc, and write down the VIN off the donor, in case you ever need any parts in the future. They are NOT all the same inside, although they look the same on the outside. And save the tag.

Before you get started, be aware you cannot do it without an SYE, and double cardan driveshaft. Although you might be able to fit it, you'd end up with big vibrations. The Ford is way bigger in all directions other than width, and the pinion is offset further to the right by about 1 1/2", so if nothing else, your driveshaft wil be too long.
    I did mine in conjuntion with a JB conversions super short transfer case and Reel Canyon Crawler shaft, that I scored off of Jeepkings. New parts. The shaft had been ordered for use with a stock 35, so I had to have it shortened by 2".
    I also moved my driveline over by the 1 1/2", but since I have a SBC and used Novak mounts and adapters, I can slide the engine etc in any direction I need too.
    The worst problem I had was that I work by myself, and its a heavy MF. My biggest helper was a scissor style trans jack that I got from Princess. Also, find yourself a bubble level so you can set the pinion angle. Bolt the thing loosely in place, re-hang the springs, put the wheels on, and put it on the ground, set the angle, center it, then tack the perches. Then unassemble it for final welding.
    Overall, I am very happy with it. Rides WAY better, and I can smoke my 35" ProComps on dry pavement. PM me if you need any tips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0537.JPG   DSCF0538.JPG