Thread: Newb questions

Time Online: 7 Hrs 24 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

Newb questions

Hey all. I got a few questions. I got a 2000 Cherokee (4.0L).

First, what are the recommended intervals between oil changes? 5K?

Second, on the onboard computer it tells me when the next service is due? What is that? Is that supposed to be when the oil should be changed? I've already put on over 4K in the last two weeks I've had the jeep and the computer says 6K till next service.

Third, can anyone recommend me a good mechanic. I live in Milton, but anywhere in Halton or Peel region is good; even Toronto. I just need someone to do a quick one-over on the jeep. It's my first jeep so theres is only so much I feel comfortable checking and being sure I'm right.

Lastly, where can I get a service manual for the jeep?

Thanks in advance.

-Arslan
    Last edited by GT-101; 05-08-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    Hey hey. Welcome to the site.

1. For oil change intervals (non synthetic), I suggest you stick with 5000km. More frequent if you off-road regularly.

2. The onboard computer can be programmed to change the service intervals. I currently have the g/f's Grand Cherokee set to 9600km which it sounds like yours is set to. I forget what the different options are, but one of them was 4800km which sounds like you'd want.

3. I'm in Milton as well. If I ever get un-lazy enough to suggest a Milton meet you should come. I don't know of any good mechanics in Milton, but I know of a couple that I've been VERY happy with in Hamilton. Alex (Jeepman) and Andy (Mud.Bros) although Andy doesn't do repairs much, I think he's more into frame and flipping.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 59 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by GT-101 View Post
    Hey all. I got a few questions. I got a 2000 Cherokee (4.0L).

First, what are the recommended intervals between oil changes? 5K?

Second, on the onboard computer it tells me when the next service is due? What is that? Is that supposed to be when the oil should be changed? I've already put on over 4K in the last two weeks I've had the jeep and the computer says 6K till next service.

Third, can anyone recommend me a good mechanic. I live in Milton, but anywhere in Halton or Peel region is good; even Toronto. I just need someone to do a quick one-over on the jeep. It's my first jeep so theres is only so much I feel comfortable checking and being sure I'm right.

Lastly, where can I get a service manual for the jeep?

Thanks in advance.

-Arslan
    For a good Jeep mechanic in Halton see Bill Hols at R&R Automotive in south Oakville. $80/hr. vs. $102/hr. at the dealer.
    JEEPERS DO IT DIRTIER

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 18 Hrs 33 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 12 Secs
    Factory service manual - sticky in jeep tech. talk forum on here

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Hey hey. Welcome to the site.

1. For oil change intervals (non synthetic), I suggest you stick with 5000km. More frequent if you off-road regularly.

2. The onboard computer can be programmed to change the service intervals. I currently have the g/f's Grand Cherokee set to 9600km which it sounds like yours is set to. I forget what the different options are, but one of them was 4800km which sounds like you'd want.

3. I'm in Milton as well. If I ever get un-lazy enough to suggest a Milton meet you should come. I don't know of any good mechanics in Milton, but I know of a couple that I've been VERY happy with in Hamilton. Alex (Jeepman) and Andy (Mud.Bros) although Andy doesn't do repairs much, I think he's more into frame and flipping.
    Thanks a lot. I just reprogrammed it to 4800. Yeah, let me know if you got a meet setup in Milton, I'll definetly hit it up. Thanks for the contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepStar View Post
    For a good Jeep mechanic in Halton see Bill Hols at R&R Automotive in south Oakville. $80/hr. vs. $102/hr. at the dealer.
    Thanks, I'm gonna look him up.

Quote Originally Posted by nmj48 View Post
    Factory service manual - sticky in jeep tech. talk forum on here
    Perfect, thanks.

Also, I've been reading on Jeepforums and there has been debate on what oil is recommended. Any suggestions. From what I've read the 4.0 are falt tappet engines, so they require an oil that is high in ZDDP. Again, this is all new to me so any suggestions will be appreciated.

I was also recommended using Castrol GTX w/ Lucas so extend the life of the motor. My jeep only has 104xxx kms on it, so I'm not sure that I require it. I do drive a lot though. I bought it with 99xxx, three weeks ago.

Anyone?