Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seats in a Pick up Truck Bed

Time Online: 7 Hrs 21 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

Seats in a Pick up Truck Bed

I have a regular cab 1997 chevy c1500 (not even a 4x4) that I would like to be able to bolt a seat or 2 in the back for when I want to take the whole family along for the day (in the summer)
    1) Is this legal to do
    2) If it is ,what seats would you all recommend.
    If it's legal, I was thinking about mounting them rear facing right behind the cab. I'm a welder and have my own shop so making brackets and hardware and mounting them safe and securely is not a problem.
    Any advice is welcome

Regards
    Jimyweld

Time Online: 13 Hrs 18 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    I highly doubt its legal, but I fun none the less.

Hmm Quick search on the the interweeb and found some interesting info from the states but havent found anything on canads laws yet.
    Theres an interesting company called BedRyder Inc. that makes a legal bed seat solution but they have been tested and regulated by law as legal.
    heres there site http://www.bedryder.com/id31.html

also here are the laws and legalitys of the states trucl beds http://www.iihs.org/laws/cargoAreas.aspx
    Last edited by oblivion; 05-12-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    pretty sure it's legal, as long as there's some seatbelts.
    the subaru brat come with seats in the back from factory.
    you could even put in some holy chit handles, just like the soob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails soob brat.jpg  
    proud OF4WD member #3875

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 3 Hrs 23 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 55 Secs
    check with local law enforcement to see what they say on that subject...
    I think it would be ok, as long as there is a roll bar to protect the occupants and proper seat belts secured to the frame of the truck ( not just drill a hole in the bed, and bolts nuts and washers and voila ) ...

Even try to google it and check the results...

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 8 Hrs 25 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 14 Secs
    ive heard it is legal aswell.

i remember in high school a friend of mine was doing his COOP with the OPP, we had him check into having people in the box of a truck and they said as long as the driver has his full G, and all the seat belts are being used inside the truck, you can have people in the box aslong as nobody is hanging over the sides. i dont know if things have changed or not since this was a few years ago.

i cant see how having a seat in the back WITH seatbelts would be illegal

Welcome to JeepKings, where men are men, and sheep are nervous
    put your seatbelt on, i wanna try something
    screw a farmer.................everyone else does

Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 28 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Dont need a rollbar, most convertable cars dont have em. And dont check with the cops, if they dont know the answer, they will say its not legal. I would just mount seatbelts with proper grade hardware and do it. I had a 69 blazer, where the roof would come off and there was no rollbar., just belts.....I dont see the difference.
    "I WISH MY WIFE WAS AS DIRTY AS MY JEEP!

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 6 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 36 Secs
    you can rid in the back even without belts..

unless you don't have your full g license, then you can only have as many people as you have belts. kinda strange.
    97 tj 4" lift rollin on 33"trXus m/t
    YOUR AN APPLE ( annoyingorange.com)
    "the purpose of life is to end" (agent smith)
    "to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women" (Conan the barbarian)

Time Online: 1 Hr 21 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Stop in the M.T.O. Office had ask them how to do it legally.
    88XJ -A work in progress-

Time Online: 13 Hrs 18 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    The difference with that 69 blazer and the SUbaru Brat that were mentioned is those are stock setups, including seats bolted in correctly, seat belts bolted in correctly and crush zones around the passengers. like dynnomyte mentioned, simply bolting the seats and seat belts to the bed are not going to work at all.

yes WTS alot of convertibles do not have roll bars, BUT they do have structural integrity built into the body and windsheild frame and the windsheild itself in case of a roll over. ever seen what happens to a bed of a P/U in a rull over? again your talking about what a vehicle has been DESIGNED for seats were never intended to be in the bed of a P/U nore were people. if you take the right steps it can be considerably safer but you are still sitting in a place your gennerally not supposed to be.

Thanks for all the replies, good points to consider on both sides of the fence, sounds like is worth while looking into. I'll contact the MTO and see what they have to say. I definitely want it to be safe so I would like to go with a roll bar and seat belts.
    Regards
    Jimyweld

I've contacted the MTO and have been sent around to about 5 different numbers and know one seems to know if this allowed or to know who would know. The last place I was sent to was Vehicle Standards where I had to leave a message (1 800 333 0371) and I'll await there response. I did contact the OPP and the staff sargent didn't seem to know either, although he thought I should check out the highway traffic act on the web.
    If anyone can recommend the right person/place to contact it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jimyweld
    P.s.The bedryder set up looks good Oblivion, too bad it wasn't already approved for Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    The difference with that 69 blazer and the SUbaru Brat that were mentioned is those are stock setups, including seats bolted in correctly, seat belts bolted in correctly and crush zones around the passengers. like dynnomyte mentioned, simply bolting the seats and seat belts to the bed are not going to work at all.

yes WTS alot of convertibles do not have roll bars, BUT they do have structural integrity built into the body and windsheild frame and the windsheild itself in case of a roll over. ever seen what happens to a bed of a P/U in a rull over? again your talking about what a vehicle has been DESIGNED for seats were never intended to be in the bed of a P/U nore were people. if you take the right steps it can be considerably safer but you are still sitting in a place your gennerally not supposed to be.
    Have you ever seen an AC Cobra kit car???? There is no structural integrity in those AT ALL!!!!! How much do you think a friggin windshield frame from one of those is gonna protect you??? NONE! And as for the one sided roll bar, that really protects the passenger doesn't it???? Know what you are talking about, before you open yer yapper!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by wts View Post
    Have you ever seen an AC Cobra kit car???? There is no structural integrity in those AT ALL!!!!! How much do you think a friggin windshield frame from one of those is gonna protect you??? NONE! And as for the one sided roll bar, that really protects the passenger doesn't it???? Know what you are talking about, before you open yer yapper!!
    wow, its time to chill..
    Dont take the guy out for stating facts...
    but you just said in your reply exactly what the cobra is... a kit car.
    They are not high production sports cars, they have fewer safety features than what is avalable in regular cars.

But to seperate the mud from water...

THe AC Cobra is a sports coupe with a powerful engine and lower centre of gravity...
    A pick up truck is a vehicle with 2 or 4 doors ( more prominent recently ) with an open bed used for utility.

I have seen trucks with seats in the back, with the proper safety features should the inevitable happen ie a car accident or roll over.

Lets keep comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges and leave the pine apples ( AC Cobra ) for the fruit cocktales...

Than why noy call your truck a 69 Blazer kit, or replica???????????????????????????????If you put seats it the back and chop off the roof exceptr the windshield it should be ok then right?????

Time Online: 17 Hrs 58 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyweld View Post
    I've contacted the MTO and have been sent around to about 5 different numbers and know one seems to know if this allowed or to know who would know. The last place I was sent to was Vehicle Standards where I had to leave a message (1 800 333 0371) and I'll await there response. I did contact the OPP and the staff sargent didn't seem to know either, although he thought I should check out the highway traffic act on the web.
    If anyone can recommend the right person/place to contact it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jimyweld
    P.s.The bedryder set up looks good Oblivion, too bad it wasn't already approved for Ontario.
    crazy isnt it.. you a guy trying to do the right thing, with regards to the law... and you cant get a straight answer out of the very people that are "on the look out for unsafe vehicles".

put a rocking chair back there, a-la Beverly Hillbillies
    Keepn' the Rubber Side down.

'06 TJ | 2 headlights | broken cheap ass fogs | 30 lbs of mud in frame | undersized spare | dented fender | dented rear quarter | Stainless washers on license plate | softdoors with broken handles | Three black box thingies that look expensive | rusty hitch | lots more payments

I Support OF4WD

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    thank you i needed a new sig

FYI--its not apples to orange----safety is safety....right???

Time Online: 17 Hrs 58 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    legal, safe and road-worthy are 3 different things..

My Mood
    Stressed
    Than why noy call your truck a 69 Blazer kit, or replica???????????????????????????????If you put seats it the back and chop off the roof exceptr the windshield it should be ok then right?????

because he didnt build it, he only modified it...
    and that doesnt make it alright...

define safety, and you will get many different definitions...
    what may pass at one shop may surely fail at another...

Quote Originally Posted by Combatsylvania View Post
    legal, safe and road-worthy are 3 different things..

... and in between each one is a very grey area...

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    By the law of the MOT safety book, you would probably pass. But that don't mean anything to enforcement. It was legal to ride in the back of pickups with no seat belts so long as all the seat belts within the truck were already occupied. I remember read a law was passed that this (along with some other archaic laws) have been repealed and it is now illegal.

Lets search; elaws.gov.on.ca !

From there we find the Highway Traffic Act 1990, the currently enforced version;
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm

And in there, we find part 4 - Equipment
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK113

And then the part on the seat belt assembles;
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...8_e.htm#s106s1

Which states;
    No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle in which a seat belt assembly required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada has been removed, rendered partly or wholly inoperative, modified so as to reduce its effectiveness or is not operating properly through lack of maintenance. 2006, c. 25, s. 1.

My layman's interpretation of that suggests you may not remove seat belts, but you can install more. Once they're installed, you must apply all the remaining conditions to the occupants of the additional seating. I would recommend consulting a lawyer to confirm this.

I would consult a police officer too, and ask them if they would pull over a truck with people riding in the back. If they say yes, ask them what law did they break.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

I think that's a good Idea Noltz, I tried that with the staff sargent yesterday but he wouldn't give me a straight answer, I'll try speaking with a regular officer and see what their opinion is.
    I have a feeling it's just one of those things where some officers will be fine with it while others will pull you over. This makes it difficult if you are traveling any real distance as cops in one area may not bother you but else where they will.
    Thanks for all the advice, I'll post up if I get anymore info.
    Regards
    Jimyweld