Thread: Engine Swap

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 28 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs

Engine Swap [The Grand Wrangler]

I removed my 2.5 liter engine and drive train, and started to put in a 5.2 liter engine and drive train from a Grand Cherokee. First off had to locate where to put custom engine mounts and welded them in place. To Be Continued...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00722.jpg   DSC00724.jpg  
    Last edited by Mudinmyblood; 06-02-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Mud... Its in my blood

89 YJ project

91 blazer 350, 37" BFGs, 8.8 rear, front coils.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    cool keep the pics comming

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    I got started down the same path about 2 years ago and abandoned the idea. The trans is so long, but time you have a driveshaft in it, the engine is way too far forward. Met a guy that installed a Hemi in his, same problem. Either one is an electrical nightmare, if you plan on keeping the injection. You need the ZJ's entire wire harness and ECM. Not impossible, but a lot of work. Dodge never made a short trans, even in the distant past. If you wanted to simplify it, Edelbrock do make a manifold for the Magnum heads and 4bbl, but its expensive, and you also need an aftermarket distributor. The Hemi guy had to mount his rad inside the support, and use electric fans (boooo)..way nose heavy.
    Check out Novak Adapters website. They have an extensive listing on pros and cons of most any combo you can imagine for engine swaps into Jeeps, and they only do Jeeps.
    Looking at your mounts in the pic, you are almost a foot further forward to where my SBC Novak mounts are located on the frame, and the length of Dodge vs Chev engine blocks is almost not worth talking about. Al;so, hard to tell with your pics, try to keep the engine mounted offset to the right side, off centre by about 1-2 inches, to keep the u joints spinning and to keep the pan off the diff.
    Yesterday's HISTORY, Tomorrow's a MYSTERY. LIVE FOR TODAY

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    your right the trans is 100 ft long.
    the rad is going in the back of the truck so it can have a normal rear shaft.
    nothing wrong with having some weight in the front helps keep the wheels on the ground when climbing.
    as for the wiring no problem we removed the entire harness from the zj and are pluging it directly into the engine cluster,security,seats,heater,everthing no cutting or splicing.

we all know there is easyer swaps out there but easy cost money.

this is a truck that will see the road 10% of its life he will keep you posted on the progress. so far it has been a verry low cost project 400 total im helping him with it but he is doing all the labor.

stock yj driveshafts
    stock 231 case
    keeping the fuel inj
    zj sending unit in a tj tank