Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 yj build with 350 chevy

Time Online: 3 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

87 yj build with 350 chevy

This is my first build so if anyone has helpful hints or parts that would be great. I am starting from the ground up and planning to use ford 9 inch axles unless I come across something better, I also plan on putting in a chevy tranny and transfercase. All I have that I am using is the frame and the body so if any of you guy's can help me out that would be great!!!

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    here is a linc to some good info.
    i will realy help you pick out your drivetrain parts.
    there is so many options and combos with chev motors and tranys.
    i wouldent buy an adaptor but this site will give you a guide on what fits what
    http://www.advanceadapters.com/
    Last edited by mud bros.1; 06-22-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Have built already, so if you need any tips, feel free to ask.
    Go to Novak Adapter website for a combo list, and I highly advise their parts over advance adapters, for both price and adjustabity, which you do need. I would recommend the Explorer 8.8 over the 9"..more modern, easier to find, disc brakes, 35 spline axles, and a good locker, the right width, and just as stong.
    You will need,,an engine and trans. I used a TH350, but would recommend a 700R4. I have 4:10's and 35s, which revs about 3200 at 100 km..so overdrive would be a bonus.
    U will also need an SYE, and double cardan driveshaft. you can do it without, but you'll end up kicking yourself in the end, Not a hard swap, but it has some pitfalls.
    PM me for pics and details, and a list of what I used and recommend (or dont)
    Cheers

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 10 Secs
    done one too. Stay away from adapters if possible, they are big bucks. Cheapest way to do it would be to buy a mid 80's chev 3/4 ton and swap it all over to the jeep.
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 21 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by GOT MUD View Post
    I am starting from the ground up and planning to use ford 9 inch axles unless I come across something better, I also plan on putting in a chevy tranny and transfercase.
    Need some details.....what size tire will you be running and what is the intended usage of the jeep?
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Days 18 Hrs 52 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 41 Secs
    got a chev dana 60 front & 14 bolt combo for sale for a good price if you are interested.
    If you wheel you junk hard, go here!
    http://throttlehappy.invisionzone.com/

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstf View Post
    You will need,,an engine and trans. I used a TH350, but would recommend a 700R4. I have 4:10's and 35s, which revs about 3200 at 100 km..so overdrive would be a bonus.
    U will also need an SYE, and double cardan driveshaft. you can do it without, but you'll end up kicking yourself in the end, Not a hard swap, but it has some pitfalls.
    PM me for pics and details, and a list of what I used and recommend (or dont)
    Cheers
    If you have 4.10 gears and 35" tires you will be at 2600 rpm not 3200 which is not bad.

Skip the np231 and you don't have worry getting an sye and othe BS upgrade parts.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Need some details.....what size tire will you be running and what is the intended usage of the jeep?
    I will most likely be running 38's, as for what I will be using it for I will still be driving on the road quite a bit but off road I would like to be able to beat it so it will be bulit strong. Thanks alot

what year of explorer would have the 8.8 axles, and do they come with a solid front axle?

if i don't use the np231 what do you think i should use?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 8 Hrs 25 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 13 Secs
    find an old chev and take the engine, tranny, tcase and axles all out of it and but it in your jeep frame and body

Welcome to JeepKings, where men are men, and sheep are nervous
    put your seatbelt on, i wanna try something
    screw a farmer.................everyone else does

Time Online: 1 Day 13 Hrs 23 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Seriously, Find a donor truck. Strip the bitch and stick it all on the Jeep.

Easier said than done, but a whole helluva lot easier than monkeyfawken' it around with 4 different sets of parts.

My Mood
    Twisted
    i believe that has been covered a few times. do some searching. If you are lucky you could swap over a 350 sm420 np205 combo out of a chevy.

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Finding a donor and stripping it might seem like a good idea, but, on a street driven, right off the hop, you're going to have tires hanging out. An MOT friend told me a while ago, they are busting everything they see, and I personally have had 3 tickets for exposed tires, with only an inch,
    The Ford 8.8 is cheap, strong, and about an inch narrower than a stock 35. They are used in a large variety of street rods, pro streets, and even Outlaw 10.5 drag cars (which run awesome times) in mostly stock form. I have never heard of anybody breaking one, and if you did, they are easy to upgrade with Strange Engineering, billet axles etc etc. Strange and Moser also offer a lot of gear ratios for them, down into 5's.
    The one to find is from an Explorer, but make sure you get it all from the wreckers..ie, e brake cables, calipers(at least for cores) and spring plates.
    Front end is a bit of a crap shoot, but I'd suggest just leaving the 30 and upgrading the axles, as long as you dont get stupid, it's pretty tough..ie..dont let the beer do the driving.
    You dont need much engine upgrading either. The differance of switching to a stock SBC over any Jeep engine is amazing. I can smoke all 4 tires on dry pavement, in high range, and I would estimate its probably at least a mid 13 quarter mile. (my engine is a bit hard to get a read on, but it is a de-stroked 350..about 330 cubes, with basically stock heads and a Street dominator and Edelbrock 600 carb, and stock cam. I guess its around 300 HP) I used Hedman block hugger headers, 2 1/2 mandrel bend pipes, into a Y pipe, with single Dynomax muffler. It rumbles, but its quiet until you get on it hard.
    The biggest advantage to Novak motor mounts is, that you can adjust both height and side to side, if you need too, and you do need to offset the engine to the right, so the oil fliter clears the front driveshaft. Plus the are mega cheaper than Advance, and have a catalouge that you can read, and staff on the phone that WILL talk to you.
    Downside to using a Chev NP203 or 205, is size and weight. I havent even tried to use one, but at a glance, your stock skid plate is not likely to work. As I said, I have no hands on on that one. I am using a JB conversions 231 super short, NEW 231, which is severely upgraded insid, with bigger chain and planitarys, and much improved oiling, that I got off this website from a guy that abandoned his project. I got the case and Reel driveshaft, new in the boxes.
    Other things to consider b4 you start. Rad..if you have a decent brass core 4.0 rad, its big enough, as long as you use the shroud, and as long as you can solder a new bottom fitting in (wrong side in a Jeep) Dont use a electric fan unless you have too. They crap out pretty quick in mud.
    you need to move your fuel line main feed to the opposite side of the truck, if you are using a mechanical fuel pump, and upgrade it from the 5/16 stocker to a 3/8
    When you get your donor engine, make sure you get all the pulleys and brackets, and accessorys..p/s pump, alternator etc.
    You are also going to have some wiring issues, but they are all pretty simple, and you will NOT pass driveclean.
    And dont expect to do it in a weekend. Take your time, gather all the parts, and as I said in the first place, go to Novaks website and read their assessments as to what works and what doesnt and why. remember they only do Jeep, and they have been doing it for a looooooong time.

Chrisbilt. I hear ya, and I am going by what my speedo says re RPM. I know it isnt dead on, but its pretty close. Any chance you might know where I can get it calibrated? Have been to 2 Dodge dealers and got the stink eye.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 21 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Regarding axles, I would never argue the attributes of an 8.8 swap into a Jeep. An 8.8 definitely has a lot going for it. BUT, if you have never seen one break, you haven't been offroading very much. This is why I was inquiring with the OP about tire size and intended usage. Sticky 38's and up with a healthy V8, locked up while doing some spirited rock crawling WILL kill an 8.8. The biggest area of the concern is the one that cannot be addressed by the aftermarket: the housing - it uses small diameter thin tubes and has a weak center section. This often leads to the carrier not being retained properly in the housing and directly results in an overloaded condition. Look to a much larger axle for the required strength.

Comparing drag racing to rockcrawling just doesn't work - that has been proven time and time again. While I am not a 9" fan, they can be built up to be considerably stonger than an 8.8 if the budget allows...but again, that wouldn't be the route I would choose.

I have not decided which way to go with the axles yet, so if you don't like the 8.8 or 9" do you think that I should go with a chevy axle? Thanks very much for your help!!!

kidstf. Thanks for giving me the site for novak conversions that should help alot, as well as all the rest of the info. As for the e-test I'm OK because my jeep is an 87.

Time Online: 2 Days 18 Hrs 41 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Secs
    I've done this swap before, twice. 350, 375hp, with dana 44 out of international scout in the front and rear. They both bolt nicely into a jeep and it puts the pot on the correct side for chevy drive train. 35inch tires with lockers front and back, beat the living crap out of it. Sm465 4 speed tranny with bull low and 205 tranfercase. If you have any ? just ask! Twisted the frame never broke an axle.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 8 Hrs 25 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 13 Secs
    k i took another quick read over this thread again and everyone is talking about the rear axle except JR,

what about the front axle?

ive heard good things about a properly built Dana 30, but i dont think it will handle 300hp and 38s.

My Mood
    Twisted
    kidstf. Thanks for giving me the site for novak conversions that should help alot, as well as all the rest of the info. As for the e-test I'm OK because my jeep is an 87.
    like i said earlier, be carefull when getting into using adapters, it gets pricey real quick.

If you want to use a chevy drivetrain, make sure you use chevy axles and you wont need any adapters.

8.8's and dana 44 are not much better than stock anyways (unless chromo'ed) so don't wast any time on that junk. One ton the fkr and be done with it.