Thread: Cherokee damaged, Long-arm kit options?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs

Cherokee damaged, Long-arm kit options?

My cousin hit a stump on a recent camping trip, twisting up his RHS LCA & damaging both the axle and frame mounts. I haven't seen it in person, but the pictures he sent me are attached below.

His question to me is "Is it worth it to repair?". I got to thinking about how LCA mounts are removed and relocated for Long-Arms anyway. What's involved in getting damage like this repaired, vs. swapping in a LA kit? Is there anyone in the Barrie area who'd be interested in tackling it?

....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 3 Hrs 15 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 58 Secs
    Staang has a pretty sweet long arm set up for XJs. That would make the most sense to me. Do a search for his thread.
    O.F.4.W.D. #5263

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    verry common dammage rubicon express makes some bomb proof control arm mounts.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    ^and we stock them here at Just Jeeps!!
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    ^and we stock them here at Just Jeeps!!
    Good! PM'ed.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 17 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Secs
    judging by the pics I wouldnt trust the Lca mounts (body side) so I would agree with move to a long arm kit.
    There are lots of options Rubicon Express and BDS are both quality kits that are easy tosource in ontario. GoTreks and Clayton are amazing kits but are hard to source.

The lca mounts (axle side) are toast and need replacing so your going to need a a good welder and soem one that knows what they are doing.

After all that your going to want larger tires then that doughnut and probly a SYE and drive shaft to match the lift kit.

If the tire are big enough you may also need to regear.

This is a snow ball project. hope youhave the budget for it and the restof the jeep is in good shape.
    11 F150 tow rig/ DD
    87 Sami buggy
    99 XJ RIP
    91 XJ RIP
    86 CJ5 RIP

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 21 Hrs 29 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 55 Secs
    Your setup is only as strong as the weakest link. No matter what you throw at this the weak link is going to be the body. The Rubicon Express stuff is very strong, high quality stuff. Hence why it's the body of the truck that usually gives out first from the added stress.

If he's serious about wheeling this thing (stumps etc.) then i'd be leaning towards a long arm kit. Cut the factory mounts off, patch the holes and put stiffeners on the unibody.

Other than that it's just going to keep breaking the tin can thin metal on the Cherokee in different locations over and over again.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Talk to staang for a long arm kit if you want to get a nice one
    98 Cherokee Sport, 5 inch lift with BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's, Thrush muffler with full custom exhaust, custom bumper.

04 Mustang Cobra, Pully Tune, bbk long tube, Eibach Pro-plus kit, Corsa DB red series mufflers, 315/35/R17 MT ET Streets w/ Cobra 10.5" width rims.

Indeed. Thanks for the tips and responces guys. I've forwarded the information to the owner - it's in his hands now.

I also suggested if he's serious about building a Jeep that he join up here. For the new and uninitiated, this is the best place to start.