Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEAL 1985 Toyota extra cab

Time Online: 9 Hrs 50 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

TEAL 1985 Toyota extra cab

Hey i've been out on a few runs with the jeepkings guys so i figure i would post up my build thread for people interested to read. This is a repost from another forum so some stuff might not make sense and I might say things or snswer questions nobody asked It all started 2 years ago, I'm 19 now.

:wave: Hello all.

I am currently 17 and have been lurking pirate and marlin since 2004 and even collected a few parts trucks while in search of a decent truck to build up. WELL I FINALLY FOUND ONE . :woohoo:
    Its and '85 extracab with a box from the states (our 2nd gen boxes have the lip at the top like first gens) its automatic and the engine had a knock.

Well luck is on my side... Last year i scored a co-op at an engine machineshop and got to rebuild a 22r out of one of my parts trucks. i threw on a celica head with a low end power cam so i could run efi. (celica heads accomadate older tall blocks but have holes for efi)

Currently the engine from the 85 is on the garage floor next to the new one and i'm transfering parts over. the :stopit: auto tranny is also on the garage floor next to a w56 out of an 89 4runner i scored for FREE from my friend. :driving:

Once i get my new motor and 5 speed in I will begin to build the truck up. The goal is to build a low slung rig with a tummy tuck and keep everything out of the way so I can slide over everything. I want to run rears up front with marlin 4" springs in the rear with frenched in hangers, do a flat belly when i go dual cases, and run 36 inch tires.

my biggest challenges will be my lack of Money, and shipping across the border due to my lack of money. Anyways less talky more pictures.

The day a bought it. (the day after the add was posted)

COOL SEATS :biggthumpup:

Last edited by 4runner666; 07-02-2009 at 08:24 PM.

I put the rest of the cabbage on my engine today.

Pic of my 5 speed with the auto pile in the background.

Got a little bit done today. I wanted to have a voltmeter instead of the ect lights in the gauge cluster so i got another cluster out of one of my parts trucks. Then I ran into another problem my trip reset didn't work on the 5 speed cluster :hammer: . i managed to take apart both clusters and swap the tach and spedo out of the auto truck cluster into the 5 speed. I tested it in my truck and the voltmeter works so I'm good to go i just have to give it something to monitor now :cheese:

PICS

Before

After

As you can see the newer cluster goes up to 180 instead of 140 and the tach's redline is 200 rpm higher (I'm guessing carb vs. efi is what makes them different)

Also, some of my stuff came from Marlin today...

dose this look like the right shifter seat to you (marlin shifter seat is orange)

FYI swapping my stuff to the speed cluster didn't work. plugs in but wiring is different.

clutch master cyl. came today [Borat] "Very nice" [/Borat]

I did some work today. Got the clutch mastercylinder mounted with my 3 pedals :biggthumpup:
    PICS...

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I went to change my heater core on yesterday and after an hour of trying to get it out (i thought i could sneak it out without taking the whole black box out) i finally get it out and its perfectly fine . So then i take a look and find that one of the tubes that runs through the fire wall has a nice split in it (so thats why the guy i bought it off of had the heater switch disconnected). I made an emergency run up to my aunts house where my parts trucks live, and had the whole thing disassembled and out in about 5 minutes, although the dash was already out.

Today I put my new heater core in, just in case. I don't want to take that apart again anytime soon. and got all heater related stuff back in.

Tomorrow i plan on

1. wire wheeling all the rust spots in the cab and spraying rust converter on them.

2.Bedlining the portion behind my pedal assembly so i can put it back in.

3. cutting holes out my floor for the w56 and maybe putting it in after i clean up the crossmember.

This is why my truck doesn't go in the garage. My dads car (can anybody guess what it is)

UPDATES.

Didn't do as much as i planned today. I had to go out for my Grandmother'sbirthday.

But i did manage to accomplish this...

And here is a picture of my dads daily driver next to my truck. :thumbs: He's had it since i was 5. This is also what i currently drive when i can.

Did a good amount of work today, I will let the pictures tell the story.

^Floor is just dirty from working on stuff. That piece was done the day before so it got all the crap put on it and got all dirty.

[quote author=854RUN link=topic=37461.msg463866#msg463866 date=1193234726]
    O-hell no i took out my auto year ago, i am not a big fan for autos for off road us. Man that foot rock's you need to keep that thing :gap:. Is that bed liner hold up any good?
    [/quote]

I'm not sure about the bedliner yet. Its cheap so i'm not expecting a whole lot out of it but is definatly seems better than regular paint.

Got a little bit done today. painted part of my frame while I have the drivetrain out,fiddle around/cleaned up a crossmember. put some of my intirior in to see what it will look like.

The difference between Auto and Manual tranymission mounts...

Cut my floor yesterday, got some bedliner poop on it today, and hit a few spots i missed that were bugging me.

Tranny is only in teperairly(sp?) (need a new tranny/ t case mount)

[size=10pt]UPDATEZZZ[/size]

SO, over the course of the winter i manged to...

Get a new tranny mount (from toyota)

Bolt in front and rear driveshafts

Lend my dad my wheels and tires

put everything i possible could on my engine before installation including drilling/tapping for my knock sensor(x2) Putting bolts through my motor mounts for future dual cases, and put on one of those sweet air cleaner vents :cheese:

Accuire a free running driveing crappy toyota for FREE (botched transfercase locks up when lot in lowrange) and sell the motor out of it. kept the harness to use on my truck.

got LCE header and Flexalite electric fan when my dad went to AZ :bling:

Got brand new grill and roundeyes headlight housings for christmas as well as a subscription to 4wd toyota owner.

Tools aquired, big set that was on sale. good stuff (see pics), dewalt grinder, tap and die set (without the tap for my knock sensor haha) tap for knock sensor, Oh and i don't have a tool box bahaha

I might have forgot some stuff, maybe you'll notice in the pics.

Thanks for the compliment. i'm sure I will post plenty of pictures when the engine gets put in, but its going to be a few weeks still. yesterday it was nice out and felt like spring. The snow was melting and you could see the green grass. Today...not so much.

P.S. The pic of the CRAPY truck was taken earlier today.

teaser. this was last weekend :biggthumpup:

Pics first

I FINALLY PUT THE ENGINE IN :yupyup: but as of right now, it has only fired twice because it sprayed fuel EVERYWHERE!. It's leaking around the number 3 injectors rubber seal at the fuel rail, it appears that it is too big and loose for it and thats why it leaks so easily. i'm going to check it out tomorrow. I also put my electric fan in and got it wired up andinstalled my new grill and roundeyes headlights. Also got a pick of the vacume stuff i took off. Takes way less time to take the valve cover off and i think my egr is perminatly closed because of no vacume stuff hooked up to it.

IT RUNS WOOOHOOOOOOOOOO

I have a couple problems/questions though. 1stly, my guages don't work. The volt meter works, the gas guage is pinned at full, no tach, no oil pressure, no coolant temp. (ran it untill the upper rad hose became hot to the touch). any ideas, missing a conector somewhere Secondly where is the conector with the terminals i need to jump to adjust timing? I know i have to short Te1 and E1 but there are they? Lastly, after dinner when we went out to adjust timing it began to run rough, playing with the distributor helped a little but didn't completely solve the problem, it would slow right down (while still running) to a verry slow speed befor finally stopping. the weird thing is that before dinnner it ran for a good 5-10 minutes without giving us any trouble.

Its a manual engine harness with an auto body harness so i'm going to see if i can swap the body harness out to get my guages to work.

Any idea's and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I swapped my auto cluster back in and that got my gas guage, and tach working. the water temp is screwy and moves around and stuff wtf?? lol and the oil pressure is stuck in the middle. I got a couple exhaust pieces from work today, I was going to put a pipe/ muffler on behind my header to help isolate the oxygen sensor from the open air thats its so close too but it got dark and I gave up. Tomorrow i'm going to check for codes.

I put a temp. exhaust on. The engine seems to be surging at idle and will even surge while gas is applied. its frustrateing, still havn't cheack for codes. the engine light dosn't come on, but i want to check for the minor ones it might have.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check out your suggestions. For the record I've also heard of the cooland getting air bubbles in it and screwing with the temp sensor. parking on a slight uphill and removing rad cap while running will get rid of any air. Being a fresh engine I think this may also be it.

Once i get The truck running right i can start with the modifications. I'd like to get sliders on it, with 31" m/t style tires and a rear locker for now. I should be going wheeling with a bunch of Land Cruisers near the end of May. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures for you guys, but i might end up having to much fun

Thats it for now. I've got to work tomorrow so i won't get to tinker with it till Thursday.

Okay, still having trouble with this stupid thing. Here is a video of what its doing.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1112.flv

i've checked vacume leaks, hooked up my egr again, new gas. havn't tried the tps sensor yet, the factory service manual says to set it so that the ohm mete deflects... what does that mean ??? AND :maddest: It won't blink at me when i try to read a code at all. i'm jumping the plug that sits in the rubber thing on the inner fender (the one with 2 wires) and then turning the ignition on,no accesorys are on, i have no radio, fan is off etc. the battery is above 12v. The light just won't blink. its supposed to blink once to say everything is okay right? Please help, i'm tired of taking the bus home from school and riding my bike to work. :rivers:

yup its the same terminal you jump when checking codes, look on drivers inner fender right near the air box, there are 2 plugged into rubber grommet things. its the one with 2 wires. its funny when you read it in the haynes manual, it just says, just terminals (whaterver) and (whatever) but dosen't tell you where they are lol...

By the way, i have a suprise. I just have to wait till the vid uploads.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1113.flv

WOOOHOOOOOOOOO :greengrin:

While i was at work my dad threw a spare coil and little box thats on top of it on and it runs awsome, at first the idle was really low and everything was really shaky. But once it was set right it ran perfect. It has no dash pot and makes popping noises some times :gap: Currently, I am working on making the E-brake work, and i need to replace a wheel cylinder. Once its done i will be able to drive it :driving: :yikes: :yesnod: :eyebrow: :burnout:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today my dad phoned me from work to tell me that there was an '89 rear axle assembly for sale with 4.10's and an aussie for $250. I'm going to look at it on thursday. its apperently been in the third for 2 months, but the guy said the 3rd may need a new crush sleeve (pinion). Hopefully its fairly easy to remove and install in my 3rd (4.30's).

Must do research to make it sure it is in fact an aussie when i go to look at it

:biggthumpup:

actually, I uninstalled it

I bought it in a 4:10 third that needed a new pinion bearing, not sure wich one and a crush sleeve. My truck being auto has 4.30 gears so i figured i would just swap it out into my 4.30 differential. Based on the uninstall, if you remember to mark where everything goes it should be cake.

On a side note, my engine began to not like to idle. swaped throttle body, runs smooth, now worse idle. so more screwing around tomorrow after school. I also replaced brakelines from the t fitting to the rear (no lspv) and along the axles, replaced a wheel cylinder and unstuck my ebrake in like 5 places lol.

Motor is old block (domed top pistons) its 20 over with comp cams 252s cam, and lce header and efi either than that its stock.

got this done today but i have to work so i'll finish them tomorrow. 3/8's plate i think lol :flamer:

FIN.

And the best part about removing the egr is you get rid of all this okinit: