Thread: big problem

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs

big problem

Well i bought my jeep and registered it today. Everything worked every time I went to look at the thing. but today as I was driving to work(I work 3pm - 11:30pm) I noticed my stereo didnt work. this is maybe an hour after registering it.

I was thinking about it and I started to worry that when I left work at 11:30 the lights wouldn't work either because when I was driving there my blinkers didn't work. And ofcourse when I left work my lights didn't work. So i figured best bet is to take the back roads with my hazards on. Well my hazards don't work either.

So I drove home trying not to get pulled over by the cops and I finally got home, parked her and turned it off. Then my girlfriend comes out side and tells me to take her for a ride in the new jeep. So I said sure, but as long as its only a drive around the block because I think theres a blown fuse which controls... well everything..

This is the point where I get back in the jeep and turn the key, she turns stuggles and then dies. Now the battery is ****ing dead.

I need this thing to get to work again tomorrow. I can boost it and get to a parts store but to be honest all i could think of was fuses until it stopped working. Now its what? fuses AND alternator?

Any ideas? its a 98 Cherokee 4L

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 33 Secs
    It's the alternator. Radio gobbles a lot of juice and usually cuts out first, then the turn signals/four ways because there's not enough juice for the relay to switch over.

It stared later because the battery recovered slightly. But if you just boost it, you will be left stranded.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Min 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I doubt its the alternater if its running with a boost although a meter will tell you what its putting out while running. have you checked the battery terminals? they may be corroded not letting the battery work. as for the lights Id start with the fuses...is there an under hood relay for the lights?

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 33 Secs
    Does it run after a boost?

Try hooking up a set of GOOD jumpers, but don't start the jeep. Try the radio and lights. If they work, TAZZ could be right about the battery terminals being corroded, but if they're clean, I'm suspecting the alternator.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 7 Secs
    Boost it and while its running pull off the neg. terminal.

If it keeps running it not likely the alternator

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs
    so its NOT the alternator? well thats probably good news. It does seem to run just fine.