Thread: Random Shut Off

Time Online: 4 Hrs 30 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Random Shut Off

So i have a random shut off problem....idling at start up in the first few minutes the bugger will just shut down possibly flooding itself I don't know. I say this because when i try to fire it back up and just turns over. If i let it sit a minute well 3/4's of a king size cigarette she usually fires. After running for about 10 minutes when she's a tick or two warm never happens again in the course of the drive. Keep in mind it doesn't always happen just at RANDOM

Any idea on what might cause this ?

Coop
    89 Frankensteined YJ

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    When it stalls, does it just quit, like you turned the key off, or sputter and die out?

If it just quits (which your description suggests), you're likely looking at an ignition issue. You're losing a sensor somewhere. I'm not familiar with the ignition system of the '89, but most of those era motors had their ignition pickups in the distributor cap. Your sig suggests a mish-mash truck - are you running fuel injection.

If it's sputtering and dying, and you're running the Carter carb, I would strongly suggest ditching it and finding yourself a Motorcraft 2100 carb and adapter plate. They're far superior in both idle quality, tunability for emissions, and power output.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Exactly like i turned the key off..its carburated..i thought it might have been the ignition but wasn't positive guess I'll have to look into it deeper.
    Thanks for the help much appretiated

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Yep, no worries. Ideally you could have a graphing meter watching your ignition coil inputs, and if/when the engine drops you can look back 2-3 seconds and see if the negative signal stopped pulsing. Heck, you could even watch the pickup for that matter.

Good luck with it. I don't believe the pickup coils are expensive.

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 20 Secs
    i had the exact same problem but mine would start up and i could drive for like 5 min and then shut off and then like you said it will just turn over and not fire back up.. mine was the crankshaft sensor i replaced it 3 weeks ago and it has not once done it again! not sure if that would be the same with yours but its mite be something to look at

Where abouts on the motor is the sensor ?

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 20 Secs
    its on the bell housing right under the drivers side.!! it faces right towards the fly wheel!

Time Online: N/A
    you dont have one coop.

have you done a nutter bypass?
    there is 2 ign mod. on your jeep one under the washer bottle and another in the cab that controls some carb functions.
    the signal from the distributor goes through the in cab one and can get inturupted.

if your ever in the hood i can bypass this in cab mod in 4min for nothing.

or check out the instructions on doing it yourself here.....http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/ele...jn-ignition99/

Between you and Jeepman my ass has been saved several times and I think I'll take you up on that offer..pretty sure the nutter bypass has not been done and come to think of it this problem started after hooking up the plug to the washer bottle...