Thread: Mazda 626 Tranny Leak

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs

Mazda 626 Tranny Leak

I just tossed a 95 4cyl Auto Mazda 626 on the road for a DD vehicle for now unitl I find the right Tow/DD Truck.

I tried to go grab some parts tonight, had the Little Guy in the back seat and about 20min into the trip and I start leaving a smoke screen.

Trans is leaking from some where and falling onto the exhuast. Does anyone have insight or better yet a Diagram. I'm just trying to determine if there is a seal there, or a crack or whatever.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    they had some problems blowing out the pump seal gasket when they get hot also barfing out the breather also a overheat problem.

install a secondary cooler and check the plastic speedo housing they also become brittle with heat

And to replace the pump seal I would have to pull the tranny right.

This will be the 3rd or4th time I have. I bought the car from a friend with a toasted motor (alt. seize so it blew the belt stopping the water pump) so I tossed in a new motor amd had issues while doing it.

here is a good site i dug up for you.http://books.google.ca/books?id=Yn9F...esult&resnum=3

the transmision section explanes the leaks common to the mazda there seems to be quite a few more than i have delt with.

Time Online: 3 Days 10 Hrs 8 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    The beauty of a leak is it leaves a witness and still has to obey the laws of gravity. Pressure wash it, put cardboard under it when parked and follow the leak right to the source. It will still leak on jack stands.

Well I can basically pinpointit to the cavity between themotor and trans. And we are notspeeaking a drip, we're talking a 12" puddle after the vehicle has driven 20minandparked for 2min. I can look under and see 5-6spots dripping 1-2drips per second.

yep its the pump seal.

you should be a pro at the removal now.

i hate when that crap goes down i had to do a mazda clutch this week twice because a stupid clip broke and made the to bearing rattle like a snake

This is the second mazda I've personally owned, 3rd that I have worked one, I am REALLY beginning to hate them!!!!

1: Mazda ProdL did a tranny for a buddy with another buddy, took 1 week as he was too cheap to replace the clutch and it was so fried we had to replace it just go get the tranny/flywheel to line up
    2: Mazda Millenea 2.3sc FAST cast. Rode like a dream, but spit coils, egrs, and o2 sensors out like mad. Everytime I worked on it I cursed, and the open loop cooling was worse then and XJ.
    3: This car. Now this!!!!

Thanks a bunch Mud_bros, Although not what I wanted you hear, youo certianty in you answer gives me hope that it is the seal.

the problem with these trany is heat they dont like it one bit.

i have heard if you add a cooler on top of the stock one it makes them last alot longer