Thread: Wanting to buy the missus a 4x4.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 7 Hrs 36 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs

Wanting to buy the missus a 4x4.

Hey Folks, i had bought the missus an 07 JK unlimited, had it, loved it, had problems, got rid of it.
    Now, we just bought a house, have our 2nd kid on the way, and I am broke as all heck.
    I am trying to find a vehicle to buy the old lady, I found a few things, thinking of a Cherokee or a Grand, possibly even an Isuzu Trooper. Anyone have any opinions on the Trooper? the one i just found is a '92?
    She really insists on having an SUV, which I am fine with, but for under $2000 the pickings are slim.
    It is going to be a temporary vehicle, maybe for the next year or 2 until we get some debt paid down. She really doesn't go anywhere, so it would probably see at the most 5k a year.
    Thanks,

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    A bud has a Trooper, he loves it. Low floor height and tall roofline for easy loading, plus the doors open barn-style. Have had a few problems with the Check engine coming on from the stupid ignition confirmation system (still haven't solved it) but a '92 shouldn't have that. Front axle boots are a common repair item.

If you can, I'd suggest finding a 2nd Gen 4Runner. Tough as nails, and they're available for <2K. I paid $1500 for mine, and I'm very happy with it. '93 they went to the composite headlights - the old style lamps actually work better but don't look as nice. Look for the 22RE 4cylinder engine... the 3VZE 6 cylinder had head gasket problems (although by now most are fixed). Stick or auto, they're both dependable.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs
    <3 my cherokee and I picked it up for 1400$ saftied and etested(paid 1000 and fixed the couple of things)

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 7 Hrs 36 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    Thanks guys,
    Checked it out today and it was in decent shape. some surface rust, but it didnt have plates or insurance so i couldnt even take it for a drive so i had to pass even though it seemed pretty good.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 19 Secs
    second gen or now 3rd gen 96-02 4runner can be had cheap the 3rd gens have a optional electric rear diff.. and have uber relible 3.4 v6..
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Yes, if you can find a 3rd Gen 4Runner in your price range then they're GREAT. Mrs. Noltz drives one, while I'm still pimpin' the 2nd Gen. (Mines taller ) I'm finding them still above $4k for a clean unit. All my 4Runners have had over 300k on the original engines, except for the current 3rd gen, which is clocked 220 so far.