Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: 4600lbs GVWR / 4600lbs+ GVWR annual inspections

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Colchester / Windsor
    Posts
    589
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Rep Power
    11

    4600lbs GVWR / 4600lbs+ GVWR annual inspections

    It keeps coming up more and more on the forum regarding annual inspections and GVWR. The MTO website is about as clear as mud and MTO "sticker" offices are about as informed as..........

    Can someone with real world knowledge chime in and help the rest of us get this straight. I ask because I have a Dodge 3500 Cummins dually which has a GVWR on the door of 11000kgs yet one of the previous owners had it registered as 4600kgs. I am ok with the 4600 at present as I am not doing any heavy pulling but the goal is to pull the Jeep once I get the time to build my trailer.

    What is involved in the annual inspections? Is it just a standard safety? Is it more in depth? A more basic inspection only including what? I personally hate handing over more money each year that is unjustified but I will not under any circumstances run an illegal or unsafe vehicle. It is simply not worth the risk or hassles.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Straffordville
    Posts
    227
    Time Online: 6 Days 14 Hrs 31 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Rep Power
    10
    Go to Throttle Happy Offroad Forums , in General Discussion. Look for MTO crap, you may find some useful info.
    Member of LAJOC. www.londonjeepclub.org

  3. #3
    Stickybongsmoking's Avatar
    Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,933
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by EXRACER#2 View Post
    It keeps coming up more and more on the forum regarding annual inspections and GVWR. The MTO website is about as clear as mud and MTO "sticker" offices are about as informed as..........

    Can someone with real world knowledge chime in and help the rest of us get this straight. I ask because I have a Dodge 3500 Cummins dually which has a GVWR on the door of 11000kgs yet one of the previous owners had it registered as 4600kgs. I am ok with the 4600 at present as I am not doing any heavy pulling but the goal is to pull the Jeep once I get the time to build my trailer.

    What is involved in the annual inspections? Is it just a standard safety? Is it more in depth? A more basic inspection only including what? I personally hate handing over more money each year that is unjustified but I will not under any circumstances run an illegal or unsafe vehicle. It is simply not worth the risk or hassles.
    You are getting LB's and KG's mixed up. Depending on the year of the Dodge 3500, it has an 11,000 LB GVWR - NOT KG. 11,000 LB = 4989 KG

    That said, in your particular case with the vehicle in question, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT WEIGHT YOU REGISTER THE TRUCK FOR. That truck will, by law, still require an annual safety inspection because the manufacturers GVWR is over 4500 KG. You can register that truck for 3000 KG but it will still require the annual.

    The safety inspection is no different than a typical safety. The only difference is that it has to be done every year.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687


    1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

    "Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Muskoka
    Posts
    1,303
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 55 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    You are getting LB's and KG's mixed up. Depending on the year of the Dodge 3500, it has an 11,000 LB GVWR - NOT KG. 11,000 LB = 4989 KG

    That said, in your particular case with the vehicle in question, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT WEIGHT YOU REGISTER THE TRUCK FOR. That truck will, by law, still require an annual safety inspection because the manufacturers GVWR is over 4500 KG. You can register that truck for 3000 KG but it will still require the annual.

    The safety inspection is no different than a typical safety. The only difference is that it has to be done every year.
    Agreed, and further to that, if the tow vehicle requires an annual inspection, anything that you tow with it will also require one. Regardless of the GVWR of the trailer itself. (this is because your combination will always be over 4500kg)
    No current rig!

    Member of:
    OF4WD #3737
    Jeep Company
    New Frontier

  5. #5
    Stickybongsmoking's Avatar
    Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,933
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Not trying to hijack...and may be throwing another wrench in here...

    BUT...

    How does all of this apply if the vehicle is used for personal use and has the red sticker attached to the plate stating that?
    It doesn't apply at all. Simply put, in this specific instance, since the manufacturers GVWR of the truck is over 4500 KG, the annual is now mandatory, lawfully speaking. The MTO does not care what the truck is used for or how it is registered. In this case, the ONLY exemption is if it is registered as an RV. But it would have to meet all of the RV requirements....in other words, it better be a motorhome.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    5,009
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Rep Power
    18
    Everything said here is correct. You can refer to This Post I made earlier speaking directly to the Enforcement office in Hamilton. You can also call Hamilton MOT Enforcement office at 905-643-7947, ex. 5. and ask your specific question.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    keswick
    Posts
    53
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 1 Hr 20 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 54 Secs
    Rep Power
    10
    they go off the ownership what the truck is registered for any thing over 4500kg needs a sticker (truck, trailer, load) so if your truck with you in it is over 4500kg you need a sticker weather you have a load or not and any thing over 6000kg combined you need commercial lnsurance

  8. #8
    Stickybongsmoking's Avatar
    Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,933
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jd4430 View Post
    they go off the ownership what the truck is registered for any thing over 4500kg needs a sticker (truck, trailer, load)
    If the GVWR on the truck is over 4500 KG, the MTO could care less what is on the ownership - the annual is now mandatory regardless of what you tow or the registered weight listed on the ownership says.


    Quote Originally Posted by jd4430 View Post
    so if your truck with you in it is over 4500kg you need a sticker weather you have a load or not and any thing over 6000kg combined you need commercial lnsurance
    Stop being wrong. If your truck is registered commercial and is being operated in a commercial enterprise, you will need commercial insurance regardless of the weight. You can have a personal use vehicle with non commercial insurance over 6000 KG. There is no law against that. RVers do it everyday.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Muskoka
    Posts
    1,303
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 55 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    If the GVWR on the truck is over 4500 KG, the MTO could care less what is on the ownership - the annual is now mandatory regardless of what you tow or the registered weight listed on the ownership says.



    Stop being wrong. If your truck is registered commercial and is being operated in a commercial enterprise, you will need commercial insurance regardless of the weight. You can have a personal use vehicle with non commercial insurance over 6000 KG. There is no law against that. RVers do it everyday.
    Agreed again. Well put, you know your stuff.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hills of Mulmur
    Posts
    211
    Time Online: 3 Hrs 5 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    the annual is now mandatory regardless of what you tow
    no more light duty trailer exemption for guys under 4500kg??

    "where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

  11. #11
    Stickybongsmoking's Avatar
    Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,933
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by frwinks View Post
    no more light duty trailer exemption for guys under 4500kg??

    "where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".
    Again, we are NOT talking about trucks with a GVWR of under 4500 KG and this particular issue has NOTHING to do with towing ANYTHING.

    We are only talking about trucks that have a manufacturers GVWR of over 4500 KG.....which happens to include every DRW truck.

    As a side note, the light duty trailer exemption only covers not having to register the tow vehicle for the total combined weight of the truck and trailer IF the weight on the ground from the trailer is under 2800 KG. This has nothing to do with being under 4500 KG on the truck itself. The light duty trailer exemption applies to all tow vehicles of all weights.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    keswick
    Posts
    53
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 1 Hr 20 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 54 Secs
    Rep Power
    10
    I just spoke with an on road inforsment officer last week because I wright the yellow stickers and that is the info he told me so I cant stop being wrong

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hockley Valley, ON
    Posts
    5,112
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by frwinks View Post
    no more light duty trailer exemption for guys under 4500kg??

    "where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

    That exemption is very easy to misunderstand and assume in your favor. I did. But CTD is right, it does nothing about the truck's requirement for yellow stickers.


    EXRACER#2, if the truck is the one in your avatar, you're a very likely target to get pulled over, as it screams commercial. If you were to put a camper on the back, then you're exempt. How does adding more weight to your truck make you safer you ask? Another topic for another day.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    Posts
    2,470
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    11
    I do not exactly know what this thread is looking for but I will throw in my tidbit.

    Father in law has a F350 crew cab diesel dually ... and bought a large 5th wheel (camper) trailer. Drove it around for 4 months until he found out he needed that yellow inspection sticker yearly and also had to get his "D" class licence. This is all due to the weight on his new trailer.

    Cheers!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Muskoka
    Posts
    1,303
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 55 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    I do not exactly know what this thread is looking for but I will throw in my tidbit.

    Father in law has a F350 crew cab diesel dually ... and bought a large 5th wheel (camper) trailer. Drove it around for 4 months until he found out he needed that yellow inspection sticker yearly and also had to get his "D" class licence. This is all due to the weight on his new trailer.

    Cheers!
    You are also correct craveneh. Vehicle licencing and driver licencing are two different things. Single vehicle (ie straight truck) over 11,000kg (as long as any trailer being towed is under 4,600kg requires a D licence, a combination (truck and trailer where the trailer is over 4,600kg) requires an A licence. There is also the Z endorsement if we're talking air brakes on anything.

  16. #16
    Stickybongsmoking's Avatar
    Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,933
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    craveneh,

    Waterboy is completely correct.

    But, there is no way an F350 would ever need a D to drive. That truck would be way out of its range of acceptable gross weight if it ever weighed in excess of 11,000 KG which is what your G licence is good for.

    Now, if the trailer being towed by the F350 is over 4600 KG - REGARDLESS OF WHAT TOW VEHICLE IS BEING USED - the driver will require an A licence. There are no exceptions. Just like the G licence, the D is still only good for towing up to 4600 KG.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Colchester / Windsor
    Posts
    589
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Rep Power
    11
    I checked the door and the GVWR is 11,000lbs 4990kgs. My mistake. My ownership which was just printed a month ago reads Reg gross weight 3000kgs and vehicle weight is listed as 2389kgs.

    Now here is my dillema. I have a valid safety cert that I carry with me in my wallet with everything else. I am under the assumption that that in its own is valid and I am in compliance. I do not have a yellow tag on the window and was not provided with one.

    As long as I have a safety cert that shows I passed a valid safety within 12 months (and of course assuming I still pass if I was ever to be spot checked) would I be in compliance?

    ************************************************** ***************
    The following I copied right from the MTO website:

    An annual safety inspection is required:

    on a truck, which does not tow a trailer if:
    the truck's actual weight, registered gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating exceeds 4,500 kilograms (9,920 lbs).
    on both the truck and the towed trailer if:
    the truck's actual weight, registered gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating exceeds 4,500 kilograms, or

    the actual weight of the truck, when added to the actual weight of the towed trailer or trailers exceeds 4,500 kilograms, or

    the gross vehicle weight rating of the truck, when added to the gross vehicle weight rating of the towed trailer or trailers exceeds 4,500 kilograms.
    on a transport trailer converter dolly, whether the dolly is carrying a trailer or not.

  18. #18
    Stickybongsmoking's Avatar
    Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Posts
    4,933
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Rep Power
    28
    Technically, you are NOT in compliance since you have the incorrect safety. The over 4500 KG safety includes a yellow window sticker that must be easily visible from the outside of the vehicle on the drivers side.

    If caught, you would likely get off with a warning or maybe even an order to comply....BUT if an MTO enforcement officer wants to be a prick, he could cite you (they can pull the plates on the spot for this offence) since you are inarguably operating without a valid safety since you currently pocess an under 4500 KG safety inspection which is not the appropriate safety inspection for this specific vehicle. Since it sounds like you are not operating this truck in a commercial enterprise, I think it is unlikely that the MTO would ever throw the book at you. I just wanted to make you aware of what they *could* do within the letter of the law if they so chose.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Muskoka
    Posts
    1,303
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 55 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Technically, you are NOT in compliance since you have the incorrect safety. The over 4500 KG safety includes a yellow window sticker that must be easily visible from the outside of the vehicle on the drivers side.

    If caught, you would likely get off with a warning or maybe even an order to comply....BUT if an MTO enforcement officer wants to be a prick, he could cite you (they can pull the plates on the spot for this offence) since you are inarguably operating without a valid safety since you currently pocess an under 4500 KG safety inspection which is not the appropriate safety inspection for this specific vehicle. Since it sounds like you are not operating this truck in a commercial enterprise, I think it is unlikely that the MTO would ever throw the book at you. I just wanted to make you aware of what they *could* do within the letter of the law if they so chose.
    This is true. Bear in mind though, that the fines for this will still be in the commercial because no matter what you use the vehicle for, it is still considered a commercial vehicle for the purposes of the fines for not having the safety "device" as it's called. (the yellow sticker)

    just food for thought.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hockley Valley, ON
    Posts
    5,112
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Technically, you are NOT in compliance since you have the incorrect safety. The over 4500 KG safety includes a yellow window sticker that must be easily visible from the outside of the vehicle on the drivers side.

    If caught, you would likely get off with a warning or maybe even an order to comply....BUT if an MTO enforcement officer wants to be a prick, he could cite you (they can pull the plates on the spot for this offence) since you are inarguably operating without a valid safety since you currently pocess an under 4500 KG safety inspection which is not the appropriate safety inspection for this specific vehicle. Since it sounds like you are not operating this truck in a commercial enterprise, I think it is unlikely that the MTO would ever throw the book at you. I just wanted to make you aware of what they *could* do within the letter of the law if they so chose.

    I was told the fines are $240 for truck, and $240 for trailer. Fine and dandy, but like you said, if he/she is prick and they pull the plates, you're screwed. Its your responsibility to tow the truck/trailer away.....and the kicker is, CAA won't tow a vehicle without valid plates

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •