Thread: silverado power

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 17 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 41 Secs

silverado power

2003 silverado cad and a half 1/2 ton 4.8 vortex 16x265 tires presumig 3.73 by book(haven't physically checked)
    When accelrating normally- fantastick performance
    Floor it off the line- sickening."0 "wheel spin even around corner(unheard of on a pick-up-isn't it?). Once it hits 3000rpm-takes off real good.
    Is this normal? Even with 3:08 there should be wheel spin.
    It reminds me off the old 4-barrel 305. Floor it and all you get is the baaahhhh noise and going nowhere fast.
    Any suggestions?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 9 Secs
    Thats weird because my Ford Ranger with the 2.3L Lima engine will burn rubber if I drop the clutch and floor it. It drifts around corners too even in summer on dry pavement.

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 54 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    the new ls motors (ie 4.8, 5.3 & 6L) make little torque down low plus your computer has programming in it from the factory called torque management. Basically it pulls timing on shifts and during whats deemed "abuse" by the computer. check out www.performancetrucks.net if you want some great ideas on what to do to wake it up.

I happen to have a kenne bell blower that should help you require new tires sooner for sale as well
    hero - the most overused english word

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 6 Secs
    I have an 03 Tahoe with the 5.3 and even loaded I can chew all I want and my unit has about 225km on the clock.

That said when I am laying into a chew she will rev out 7000+ rpm. I do notice the odd time it is lacking more power than normal.

I think these engines like to be driven hard.

I don't know how many KM's are on yours but it may be time to clean your throttle butterfly and use a good can of Seafoam.

Has all your maintenance been up to date?

I use seafoam on most of my vehicles and I know it's used a lot by the Corvette guys...May be worth a shot by you. (Just make sure your exhaust isn't pointed towards your neighbours window.)

Actually since having a 5.3 I would never compare it to an old school 350 or 305. I know I may take a beating but I would consider the the newer engines so much further advanced both power/torque and fuel economy I don't know why anyone would use anything other than a 5.3/6.0 for an engine swap.

Time Online: 9 Mths 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 18 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
    the new ls motors (ie 4.8, 5.3 & 6L) make little torque down low plus your computer has programming in it from the factory called torque management. Basically it pulls timing on shifts and during whats deemed "abuse" by the computer. check out www.performancetrucks.net if you want some great ideas on what to do to wake it up.

I happen to have a kenne bell blower that should help you require new tires sooner for sale as well
    This is bang on, I have an 04 2500HD with the 6.0L and can not break the back tires loose. The torque Manangment profile built into the computer is to protect the drive train from damage when doing things it deems are abuse. WOT from a stand still I guess is considered abuse...lol

I've been a sea foam fan myself for a few years now. Thanks for the site.I will do some homework/reading on possible torque mods. I have a flow master exhaust with a K/N filter which seems to add zip at the high rpms but still nadda on take-off.
    Thanks for the feed back,

Rudy

Time Online: 1 Day 21 Hrs 59 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    Well I can tell you that I have put a 5.3L into my JEEP and its just stupid power for that little frame. I had the computer re-programmed and I could spin my 35 boggers till the rims hit the ground! It would be fun to slap my computer in a 5.3 truck and see what the difference would be. I have a truck but it has the bigger brother in it the 6.0L
    Work hard but play harder!

if anyone is interested in having torque management removed from their 2000 & 2001 gm/chev pick ups only, let me know. My trucks have been running torque management free for almost 4 years no. No speed limiters either. any other years will cost more money

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfarm View Post
    Well I can tell you that I have put a 5.3L into my JEEP and its just stupid power for that little frame. I had the computer re-programmed and I could spin my 35 boggers till the rims hit the ground! It would be fun to slap my computer in a 5.3 truck and see what the difference would be. I have a truck but it has the bigger brother in it the 6.0L

they use the same computer i think all the way through but you will run into problems if the jeeps motor is a 01 n below n your other truck is newer. They changed the wiring in 02.

I'm interested but what is the cost for 2003 Silvrado. Were there any ill effects from removing torque management? Pinging or more gas consumption(when driving normally).
    I'm hoping its better for towing with torque management removed. Now my tow vehicle gets sucked into the jeep thing and need mods.lol..

Rudy

i just missed out on updating my hp software so I cant help you. www.ecmprogrammer.com is out of alberta and has a few stations around that can just download his tune into your truck. Check him out, Lyndon can do some amazing things with these motors. Removing torque management will cause more wear on the trans just because the motor will no be making full power through the shifts. My truck hasn't had any torque manement in 4 years, i've only towed some atv's though. Gas consumption yes if you like it getting loose in the rain.

I went on the site and found a chip for $529.00 ( of course 2003 price jumps $200)plus shipping plus taxes. I think my idea just died before it even got rolling. Hopefully alternative options will present themselves.

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 13 Hrs 56 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 2 Secs
    "Actually since having a 5.3 I would never compare it to an old school 350 or 305. I know I may take a beating but I would consider the the newer engines so much further advanced both power/torque and fuel economy I don't know why anyone would use anything other than a 5.3/6.0 for an engine swap.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, had a 92' Z71 w/350 (now in the Jeep) - had tons of power but nothin' compared to the 03' w/ the 5.3l (244,000kms)- I can now be driving about 50kms' hammer down and squawk em', I used to have a hard time squawkin' from a dead start with the old one!

That being said, the old 350 in the Jeep is CRAZY power! Don't think I've even had the pedal to the floor yet...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY View Post
    I went on the site and found a chip for $529.00 ( of course 2003 price jumps $200)plus shipping plus taxes. I think my idea just died before it even got rolling. Hopefully alternative options will present themselves.
    that sucks, keep an eye on www.performancetrucks.net 's gm for sale section, maybe you can pick up a hand held tuner for cheap.

I found a DIABLO chip for $275 american. Never ordered anything from the states. Will the shipping and duty kill my deal?
    AND
    can I use the DIABLO on other vehicles that the chip matches to recoop some of my cost?

are you buying it new or used? if it's a private deal have the person mark the item as a gift (saves you duty) n have it shipped usps. Anyone else was rape you when they bring it over the boarder.

Diablos n other handhelds will only work on 1 vehicle at a time. You flash their tune into the truck and it saves your stuck town until theirs is flashed back in, unlocking the diablo again (i think, it might have to be sent back to preditor for this)

Its new from one of the links passed my way(performance trucks). Very common to be under $300 from state side. Too bad its a one time use deal-could of made a lot of silverado owners smile..lol.
    Lowest local cost is $475 so far

So- I got a DIABLO predator delivered today. I played a little with the options and mods. Turned torque management off. A lot firmer shifts but still not even maybe a squeek of the line. I dont want to tamper with timing and etc.. before hearing someone elses setting parameters. I did bump low range timing to 7% and noticed a tiny bit difference-I hope...LOL