Thread: Undercoating

Time Online: 2 Days 16 Hrs 13 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Secs

Undercoating

I was thinking of undercoating my jeep before winter. Just wondering if anyone has tried black asphalt undercoating from Canadian tire. Last year I went to krown but not sure if I can afford it this year.
    There not scraches there pin strips

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 18 Secs
    you can buy cans of krown or rust proof that black ashfalt causes rust cause you get stuff between that and paint.. i would just krown or fluid film it yourself!!

i calling for my krown appt next week
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

Time Online: 8 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Oh pigging great!!! Son just did my Ram and he has sprayed loads of cans on his TJ.

and I thought he did a good job!!!

Time Online: 18 Hrs 51 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    I use the stuff that Canadian Tire uses in their shops since I have access to its, its called Corrosion Free and its a wax based one thats not harmful to the environment, not quite as good as krown but its still good and I use it every year.
    97 ZJ - Daily Driver
    93 ZJ - Parts Truck -- PM Me if you need any parts.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 5 Secs
    Do not use undercoating!!! The asphalt or rubberized stuff traps the water and rots faster than anything.

I would never buy a vehicle that has the undercoating on it.

Stick to the crown or similar product.

I don't really believe in the dripless stuff either because you want the oil to move and coat your parts not be stationary and hold moisture.

My 2 cents!

What kind of paint should I use to clean up the rust on the frame then?

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 18 Secs
    any rust paint will work or you can grind off to make sure you got it!!!

por15 is what alot of people use and its the best but its a process!!

they also have rust converters that turn the rust to cleaner metal for painting.. i found they work... krown seems worth the money when you factory the time and everything its 120 and i got a bigger suv..

some people just used to use old motor oil and lots of different stuff. depends how frugile you are lol

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    rubberized undercoating is ok to apply to a 100% clean rust free surface if you spray it over rust or oil ect it will increase the rust by holding in moisture.

go with krown or rust check

My Mood
    Tired
    I wouldn't even bother painting unless you are doing a frame off.

Douche it with 15 cans of rust check or crown. It stops the rust and also makes it less noticeable. I would suggest you take it and powerwash including inside all those frame holes until the water comes out clear. Let it dry and the go at her.

I know mudbros said if the metal is 100% clean you can put on the undercoating but I disagree. I was looking at a Toyota that had dealer applied undercoating from 1985. The doors were rust free hood etc except where the undercoating was. Rot on the frame, floors etc. In my opinion it's bad news. It was intended to be sprayed on your rockers hence "rubberized rockergaurd" and then painted over with the body colour. Intending it to take a hit from a stone or rock and give vs. denting or chipping the paint.

ya I still want to go to krown just wanted to clean up any rust on the frame I could before I bring it in. My TJ is an 02 and is starting to look her age, too much mud and water I guess. Never mind I don't think that's possible there's never enough LOL. What's por15 and where can u get that?

My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by jd28 View Post
    ya I still want to go to krown just wanted to clean up any rust on the frame I could before I bring it in. My TJ is an 02 and is starting to look her age, too much mud and water I guess. Never mind I don't think that's possible there's never enough LOL. What's por15 and where can u get that?
    Do a search on here about POR15. Unless you are planning a frame off I would suggest just sticking with the crown. I know I may seem repetitive but it's a long process. A heavy douche with crown or similar will stop the rust and look much much cleaner. I had an older jeep with lots of rust on the frame an underneath. The rust just sucks it in and it will look 100% better. I do mine myself as I don't know if the pros spray it all over like I do at home. I have found that it is no cheaper if it's done at home but at least I know everything is well saturated.

Time Online: 2 Days 12 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    Is Krown like the stuff they use at Oilguard? I take my Jeep in to oilguard every fall, is there a similar place that applies Krown if it's a better product?

Time Online: 4 Days 16 Mins 37 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs
    Im in Sarnia and if you come this way we have an actual Krown undercoating place on campbell st.