Thread: OFRL thread and Q's?

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs

OFRL thread and Q's?

Okay, with 1-tons hitting the XJ over the winter, I don't really plan on DDing it anymore.

BUT I want to be legal for Trail Runs and such.

So Q's is:
    What does and Offroad licence intail? All i've found is for ATVs.
    I want to be able to drive from trail to trail, but not to work everyday.
    I will trailer it but let face it, there isn't always parking at trail head.

Can we get some true knowledgable answer to this?
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 55 Secs
    OK I will try to answer this question the best that I can. Hopefully it won't raise more questions.
    A permit issued under the authority of the Off Road Vehicles Act is, well, just for that purpose: driving off road.

The definition of an "off road vehicle" is a little tricky. The answer can be found in an obscure regulation pursuant to the Act itself. Here's what it says:

3.**For the purposes of the definition of "off-road vehicle" in section 1 of the Act, the following classes of vehicles are prescribed:
    1. Dune buggies.
    1.1 Vehicles designed for use on all terrains, commonly known as all-terrain vehicles, that have steering handlebars and a seat that is designed to be straddled by the driver.
    1.2 Vehicles designed for utility applications or uses on all terrains that have four or more wheels and a seat that is not designed to be straddled by the driver.

So, what does all that mean? A Jeep could potentially fall into the category mentioned in part 1.2 above. I have not heard of this being disputed in any court, so let's assume for now that you could apply for and obtain an Off Road Vehicle permit and plate, and attach it to your Jeep.

Because off road vehicles are GENERALLY not allowed on the highway (ATV's are now allowed in certain areas as approved by individual municipalities), the Jeep would NOT fall into the category of an ATV and therefore not allowed on any highway.

In addition, you still have to have insurance on a vehicle plated as an off road vehicle.

Putting one of these green plates on will limit you to trail use ONLY. The only way you would be able to drive on the road from trail to trail is to plate it as usual, with a passenger vehicle plate.

Now go ahead with any further questions I may have raised! Ha ha
    No current rig!

Member of:
    OF4WD #3737
    Jeep Company
    New Frontier

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    But I thought an ORV can travel on the shoulder?

A reqular plate is an option, but I don't want to pay for insurance all year. I did find a company that covers pleasure vehicles. I have to call and see if a Jeep falls into their class, then I just need an appraisal (I'd like to see what a classic car appraiser thinks of my jeep!!!) and might just need to pay 200.00 or less a year.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 55 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    But I thought an ORV can travel on the shoulder?
    Unfortunately the only ORV that can legally drive on the shoulder right now is a 1 up ATV. Even at that, it can only be driven on the shoulder in an area where the municipality has approved it enacting a by-law. This is done under authority of Ontario Regulation 316/03 pursuant to the Highway Traffic Act.

IMO you are far better off plating it as a regular passenger vehicle, and simply insure it as a recreational or pleasure vehicle with your insurance company (not a daily driver). That's what I do with mine, and I store it in the winter.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 33 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 6 Secs
    ^me too and it is just a toy.
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Every insurance company I have spoke with tells me "You cannot get ATV insurance for a vehicle that has a blue ownership, meaning it's a street vehicle". So I went to the DMV and said "I bought a Jeep and am converting it to off-road use only. I need to get the ownership switched to brown (off-highway) so I can get proper insurance".

"There's no longer an option to do that. A few years ago you could. It was far more common for us to see dirt bikes that had been converted to be plated, but they've closed that option. You'll have to obtain regular automobile insurance and make sure your insurance co knows you're using it offroad."

Now that was one woman at one DMV. They have been wrong before. But AFAIK, it's not possible.

Edit; To add... talk to an insurance broker about what the options are. Brokers are there to sell insurance. They'll find someone that can help you. "Hey there, need insurance for my street legal but off-road used truck. What are my options?"
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 20 Hrs 13 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 58 Secs
    Excellent info here! This thread answers a lot of my questions.