Thread: Stock '97 TJ Buildup Thread

Time Online: 3 Days 17 Hrs 27 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs

Stock '97 TJ Buildup Thread - Now With Pictures

Ok, so I have decided I will do a tear down on the TJ.
    I am gonna swing her into the garage for a winter nap and start pullin it apart.
    The tub is ok although it need 2 floor pans, fenders need to be done as well.
    I woul dlike to replace the trans with an auto so the GF can drive it. The Synchro is starting to go in 3rd anyway so I am not sure if I want to replace it with an other stick or go auto. I'll figure this out later.

I am hoping to get most of the tear down this weekend. I'll shoot pictures along theway. Actually my plan is to setup a stationary time lapse camera in the garage and make a video of the tear down and rebuild.

Here is the checklist so far,

Remove the tub
    Sand blast and por15 the frame
    Cleanup and paint the engine, and drive train, put in a new Power steering pump
    Put in a 4 inch susp lift an 33's
    tube fenders
    Fix the floors in the tub
    rhino line the inside of the tub and get rid of the carpet

If someone that has taken a tub off can anyoe point me to a website with a tub removal set of instructions? I am sure I can figure it out but I am sure its been done and documented.
    I would liek to keep as much as possible intact in the tub minus carpet and seats so I can fix the floor with the tub flipped on its side.

I would imagine the seat frames, Roll Cage, doors, tail gate, Wiring harness steering column firewall items, fenders get removed...?

Gonna be a long project, but I have allot of time at nights and weekends to spend on it.

Tally of whats been done:

Removed Soft Top: No real issued other than one of the bars had a stripped bolt and I pinched my finger twice, and jabbed a screwdriver into the back of my thumb
    Removed Passenger Seat: Took a while to figure out how to tilt the seat forward. Bashed my knuckles several times.
    Removed carpet from tub floors and front area: Surprisingly easy
    Removed center console: Three pennies were hiding the last bolt in the cupholder. Sneaky little bolt.
    Removed Driver Seat: Out came the angle grinder.
    Removed Rear Seat: Came out pretty easy actually
    Removed the rest of the carpet: Surprisingly easy
    Removed metal box hinge thing in the trunk area: Rusty and shitty
    Replaced the power steering pump: Looks good

Next planned steps:
    Remove the front fenders
    Remove the half doors
    Remove the hood
    Unbolt the steering colomn
    Unhook the wiring harnesses
    Remove the brake stuff fromt he firewall
    Remove the tire carrier
    Lift the tub out with the engine hoist and lay it on its sides
    Sand Blast the frame
    POR15 on the frame, axles and driveshaft

Repair the front and rear floor pans

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket
    Last edited by jedimaster; 11-27-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 8 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    Take a look

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=85078

Been there, done DAT!
    PM for any questions you have ... And, take your time and good luck
    RIP OD, YOU'LL BE MISSED.... BUT that's OK 'cuz you've been REPLACED !!!

Yuppers saaw the thread. Just alot of talk right now but gonna get into it tonight I think. You look like you took alot of stuff off that I don't plan on taking off.

Is it possible to just unhook the wiring harness, firewall junk, brake master cylinder, steering colom, body bolts and just lift the tub off all in one shot? Your build looked alot intensive than I was planning on doing.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 8 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
    Yuppers saaw the thread. Just alot of talk right now but gonna get into it tonight I think. You look like you took alot of stuff off that I don't plan on taking off.

Is it possible to just unhook the wiring harness, firewall junk, brake master cylinder, steering colom, body bolts and just lift the tub off all in one shot?

Your build looked alot intensive than I was planning on doing.

You'd need to disconnect the heater core hoses, the engine harness connects at various points to the tub within the engine bay area, the computer is connected to the firewall, the DRL, Clutch Revservoir, JTEC modulethere are a bunch of grounds, the harness that goes through the firewall, can be disconnected down by the DS kick plate area, however you will need to pull it through to the engine area. Brake lines disconnected or booster completely off the firewall, disconnect the steering shaft and on and on and on. in the middle, the TC linkage, At the back, fuel filler line/ground, axle breather hose.

Well I am gonna spend tomorow night pulling out the interior and hopefully saturday pulling off the rest of the tub stuff. Anyone want some beer in the keswick area and is not busy Saturday from say 9-5ish? Gonna go to St.Thomas saturday night to get the new hard top after the gf is done work.

Well got a fair bit done ,the interior is pretty much stripped of what i plan to strip it of, seats and carpet. Fixed the power steering pump, and next thing is to remove the fenders, hood and half doors. then I'll take care of the steering colomun unbolt the shit from the firewall and unplug the various wiring and hopefully unbolt the tub.

Ok, been a while...Sorry no pictures, I'll see if I can find a camera tomorow.

I stripped the interior tub, sanded blasted, welded in new floor pans, primed and coated with Gator Guard 2 part Bed liner. Looke pretty good, hopefully it dries. Its still tacky after 24 hours.

Fenders I did a quick edge patch job then put aluminum checker plate. Looks pretty good.

Exhaust I put in a new a new exhhaust from the manifolds back, cat, and Magna flow muffler. All welded. Looks good sounds good.

Tomorow I am going to put the seats back in and if the bedliner is dry I'll put the carpets back in. Going to go pick up a driver side seat belt tomorow as well as I destroyed mine.

I think everything is pretty much done accept for the pinion seals(Pretty much all of them need to be done). Might have to save that for next weekend.
    Looks like the oil pan is also leaking.

Once the seats are in I'll SeaFoam it, change the plugs, clean the KnN, new synth oil and filter and hopefully get her etested.
    2000 TJ...31's....not much else....

Duct Tape is currently holding my fish tank together....

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 22 Hrs 59 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    not gona bast an paint the frame?
    '99 superduty, 7.3L diesel. 4x4, ex cab short box. edge evolution programmer. straight pipe, torque converter lock up switch. single 7" stack, built tranny with some billet bits inside, 7' trac bars, pyro,boost an tranny guages. 4" lift in the front 5" rear. 305 70 16 mickey thompson baja mtz's on m/t classic 2's. now with dana 60 front, 10.5" rear 3:7.3's. 5" airlift bags in the rear.

2002 polaris pro-x 440 with 2004 600 motor. walker evans remotes all the way around.

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    Not enough pictures!
    love my 2.5

I was going to blast and paint the frame, but the frame is in good enough shape that I am not too woried about it. plus I am dead out of time. I think this may end up being a summer project. Also I don't really have a good spot to work on it now since we can't park on the street.

Ok Some pictures, finally found a camera with batteries.

Trunk Shot of Gator Guard. Came out pretty good for a paint brush in the dark. Missed a few spots but I'll get em in the spring

Overall aerial view

Shot of the new front floor pan after gator guard. Came out much better than I expected, Used 16 Gauge steel, a few prebends and some mashing with a ballpin hammer. welded in place all around then sealed on top and from underneath. Underside is painted with Ashphalt rocker guard.

Passenger Fender Repair - Checker Plate

Driver Side Fender Repair - More Checker Plate

Overall Front shot of Fenders

Its a little more shiny then I was hoping for and its now been 3 days and its finally dry, gonna put the seat back in now. I'll take a snap of it with the seas back in.