Thread: Phoenix goes Sith

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs

Phoenix goes Sith

Well, I slipped up and somehow this snuck into my barn...

What am I gonna do now?!

*L* J/K

I'm not forsaking the unibody... I just thought I'd try something different.

It's a 1994 YJ; 2.5 I4 engine, 5-speed manual, hard-top only & the interior is pretty spartan. She needs work; there's holes to be patched, one of the motor mounts is done, and those springs are pretty settled. There's a sticky lifter, the parking brake doesn't work, and there's probably a few other issues to be tinkered out. But the Jeep has a new clutch, battery, rad, stereo & more. She's a peppy little thing, even with 30x9.5" tires, the 4wd works like a charm, and I love those rims...

Plans for it are very simple. Trim for 31x10.5" tire clearance, new speakers, tune up parts, electric fan & recovery points. I'm keeping the 1992 Limited for a nice driver & long-distance trooper; I'll still be fixing it up as I go along, but I just can't bring myself to cut it up, or even treat her rough off-road.

Whatcha think?

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 22 Hrs 1 Min 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 50 Secs
    Thou hast forsaken thine XJ brotherhood... tsk tsk....

Looks good tho bud!
    Tri City Jeep Club, OF4WD Member,
    2011 JK Unlimited Sahara, 2" Skyjacker, 35's, Sahara Tan <----His
    2000 WJ Ltd , 2" Skyjacker, 32's, Mall Crawler <----Hers

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 16 Hrs 40 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 27 Secs
    Uncle Pauly! Welcome to the dark side! When can we get that purdy little thing muddy?
    GoGetMuddy
    OF4WD#6121

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 31 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    Looks like someone has joined the YJ brotherhood, welcome to the weird side of jeepin, but yeah go get it muddy! Looks good
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Donny! (I didn't see your post!)

Update!

A small going-over today, and I have a laundry list of to-do things...

E-brake.
    Passenger side door - won't open from the inside, window will not go all the way up, or down.
    Hole in body & floor need patching.
    Some new lights in dash, tail-light & headlight as well as p-side front corner light.
    Heater blower doesn't work at all.
    Needs new thermostat; heat on gauge will not go above 50 C.
    Odd clunk in rear when going over bump at slow speed.
    Driver side door - weather seal has gap big enough to stick finger through. Plus, door top is rusted through at bottom...

On the plus side, with Bonecracker's guidance and skilled hands the passenger side door now opens from the inside, and the window rolls down! The problem? The crank-arm on the winder thingie was bent like a boomerang. No, I'm not exaggerating... Ask Bonecracker, it was 'L' shaped. The clip that holds the door release rod into the inner door handle was busted, so we swapped it out for the clip from the lock rod, and now my passengers can get out!

Oil was changed, after being flushed with AC Delco crank-case cleaner. (Lifters are ticking.) She seems to run smoother, and nothing has exploded yet. Oil pressure is good, but it'll probably fluctuate more with a thermostat that actually allows it to get up to proper operating temperature.

Next - Body holes, thermostat, and then bulbs! Monday...

PS: Donny, I REALLY appreciate the help. I was just going to yank the doors for the safety check, and then think up an excuse as to why the doors are off in October. 'What, you think this is cold? Nah, this is short-sleeves weather!' *shiver*

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Sunday update!

Got into a little light tinkering today; replaced the burned-out headlight - now both lights work, but the formerly burned-out light is noticeably dimmer than the other one. Went to replace the burned-out taillight only to find the bulb is in fine condition, but there's a hacked-together trailer plug wire set... These along with the non-operational heat/vent blower motor makes me wonder about the wiring of this poor Jeep.

I'll get deeper into it Monday. Lucky for me the carpet is gone, so there's less to take out in order to trace the wires!

Yep. Silver lining, and all that.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Update!

Okay, we got into the Jeep a lot deeper today and have learned several things...

The previous owner mentioned going off-road, and subsequently needing to replace the clutch. After looking over many things, I believe the Jeep was dunked deep. REALLY deep. There's moisture in the marker lights, tail-lights, and splashed mud on the firewall behind the dash. The tail-light housings look like they came off of the Titanic, they're so rusted inside.

Someone somewhere butchered the electricals on it. The stereo (a REALLY nice Kenwood) has been hacked and spliced in, leaving wires dangling and tucked haphazardly all over the place. The heater control isn't getting power, and one of the micro-switch's power lines is crispy-crittered. Melted clip, cooked insulation, and nearly spot-welded on. According to the shop manual, if the micro-switch isn't getting power, then there's a problem frrom the 'open' side of the fuse, but I haven't a clue as to how I should fix this... Anyone have any advice?

After playing with the headlight plugs, measuring volts, and the like; for some reason both headlights now work fine! I didn't do anything, other than plug/unplug them several times, and now both come on with equal intensity.

I feel stupid asking this, but I ran out of time looking for the blower motor & blower motor resistor. I thought the blower motor would be mounted on the firewall, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I couldn't see it...

Has anyone here ever run into the same sort of situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

Time Online: 3 Days 10 Hrs 47 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Secs
    the blower motor is inside of the heater box and it all comes out in one unit.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Thanks for the info! The book I have (the FSM for a 1992) says it comes out through the firewall, and I couldn't even find the sucker at first! *L*

A little update...

The blower motor works! Not on 'vent' though, which means the micro-switch is bad, but 'heat' and 'defrost' blow just fine. The problem? Bad fuse. Yep. I is a I.D. 10 'T'.

I checked the fuse, and when I put it back in, there was a little spark. From there on in, I assumed the fuse was fine, but I checked it again, and it was popped. I replaced it with another fuse of the same amperage, and voila! The most heavenly whirr I've heard in a long time.

Now I need to save up some cash in order to replace the cat, p-brake cables, front brakes and then e-test & safety!

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Update!

Well, that was a laugh.

As you may know, I was all over the map this summer. I sold the 87 with the Dana 44, and then got stupid and bought a YJ. The new YJ turned out to be a total loss; the PO had hacked, spliced, and diced the wiring. Plus, she'd sunk it in a pond, and I mean SUNK. Want an example? The tail-lights were acting wonky, and one headlight was out. After replacing both headlights, one was dim, and the other was bright. After much tracing, trying different headlights, and head-scratching, my sister-in-law and I found both headlights wore now working fine. Problem? The headlight plugs were home-brew siliconed at the back, and the contacts were filled with crap. The tail-lights were how we figured out she'd been a submarine at some point. The metal plate in them looked like they'd been under the Atlantic for a few decades. There was still moisture in there, and the bolts were so rusted that even putting the socket on them stripped the edges off. There's a high-water line on the firewall, under the dash. To top it all off, the exhaust isn't hanging from the proper hangers, it's sitting on the axle.

It gets even better. I knew she was a little rough when I bought it, but the selling point for me (solid frame) was rendered moot when I found a soft spot over the rear axle, on the inside of the frame, it was covered in paint, and I didn't notice it until a scale of rust caught my glove and came off in a palm-sized chunk. It's going to take a LOT more money to get it road worthy, and then I'm worried I'll find the axles are toast (if she dunked it deep enough to submerge the tail-lights, and didn't have the forethought to get the water out of them, how much do you want to bet the axles were taken care of?) or the engine was hydrolocked (that 'lifter tick', is it because of junk in the oil, or a bent valve?), or maybe even the tranny! I've never owned a manual Jeep before, let alone a 2.5 four-popper. I have no idea what's normal, or what's a warning of impending doom.

There's more wrong with it. Every time I fix something, literally two or more things fall out of it that need fixing. Rear wiper motor, defrost & hard-top seals. Under-dash wiring, rear electrical hook-ups, and even the seat-belt warning buzzer. (It came on when I took my belt off, and stayed on for about five minutes AFTER I turned the engine off.) The brakes need replacing, the door locks are warped (won't unlock from the outside), and the motor mounts are toast.

I could go on, really I could, but hopefully you all reached the same conclusion I did... The Jeep is a total loss. I don't have the money, or the health to re-do everything that needs fixing. It sucks, but I need to think long-term, and cut my losses. I'm pulling all of the good parts I can, (new rad, mirrors, some switches, and the wheels), and I'm scrapping it.

I'm going back to my roots, and focusing on the 1992 XJ...

I appreciate the help, and patience of everyone who's helped me.

Last edited by XJPhoenix; 11-23-2009 at 09:44 AM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    Xj For Life
    rockin the 95 xj custom 4inch lift and 285/75/16 bfg mud terrain km2 and bds discos R.I.P

98 xj 4.0L 5spd 4.5" zone lift and m/t sidebiters looking for 33s